What's new

2017 Board Elections

DomainNames

Top Contributor
NOT TRUE

NOT TRUE
Perhaps you should read the Summary of Director's Duties. I take my responsibilities very seriously.
https://auda.org.au/pdf/board-directors-duties.pdf

Even if I was not standing for election I would not give my vote to Nicole.
How long has Nicole been a member? You would hope a long time for someone that is putting their hand up to represent Demand Class Members some of whom have been members since the foundation of auDA and many who have been involved in the industry for eons.

https://www.domainer.com.au/nicole-murdoch-for-auda-director/

"I have been involved with domains since approximately 1998 when I designed my mother’s website for her business and reserved her domain name as part of that process. I learn't to program 31 years ago (don’t do the maths) when my father brought home an Apple IIE. But as I wasn’t a front end coder, it was a learning experience. That got me interested in the rules and regulations that governed the industry (at the time) and the coding languages that were so unique back in the day. From there I moved onto larger projects coding in PHP, HTML, C/C++, JAVA and SQL (Oracle and MYSQL), including working on the E*Trade (German) website and other e-commerce sites. I have worked as a website developer, and worked in SEO.

I was part of the 2015 auDA names panel....I now work as an Intellectual Property lawyer. I have served as a director in other companies, and that background (and my legal training) gives me knowledge of corporate governance and good practice."

Nicole Murdoch

Perhaps you can enlighten us all on your involvement.
This line of asking about other people's involvement appears to be your standard response when challenged.

As to my involvement, I am the person who gave Ned the idea of bringing the 249D. Ned and I had, over a long period, discussed auDA and our concerns and were discussing what could be done about those concerns. I mentioned that members of another organisation that I was part of had brought a 249D meeting with certain resolutions including removing board members. From there, I put Ned into contact with the person who brought the application for that other organisation and discussed (at least initially) the resolutions which would be sought from members. I was not at the meeting but I was on the feed (once it worked).

In regards to your more recent post regarding my involvement with the industry, as I have said it before and I will say it again, I have been involved in the industry since 1998. I say 19 years is long enough to have a say in the industry. In addition, I have over 20 years IT industry experience and over 10 years legal experience. Ironically you state that some members have been involved since the foundation of auDA yet my involvement in the domain industry predates the foundation of auDA.

As to your transparency, it is not the transparency of you with auDA that is the problem. It is transparency of auDA with its members that is the problem. You were not transparent to other members in your application to auDA.

Shane

Top Contributor
Who said I was pro direct registrations.
You did. You told me you were "all for it". In writing...

I did not promise Shane anything. I have never spoken to him or exchanged emails.
Not true Ian. We exchanged PMs via DNT last year and spoke on the phone during the elections. Short memory you have...

Best of luck though.

DomainNames

Top Contributor

“Beware Those Who Speak With Forked Tongues”
by Raouf Halaby

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-31_13-7-8.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-31_13-7-8.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 4

snoopy

Top Contributor
How long has Nicole been a member? You would hope a long time for someone that is putting their hand up to represent Demand Class Members some of whom have been members since the foundation of auDA and many who have been involved in the industry for eons.

Haven't the current board been attempting to prevent her from joining? Maybe this can be the centrepiece of your campaign?

"Nicole is not a member (we knocked her back)"

Is she approved as yet or do we need to wait for the overdue September minutes to find out?

I think she has been involved with AUDA for quite some time given she was part of the Names Policy Panel Minority Report.

snoopy

Top Contributor
This line of asking about other people's involvement appears to be your standard response when challenged.

Certain other board members like to argue this line as well. "Why did you just join AUDA" as though it is some exclusive club.

The truth is most people couldn't give a stuff about AUDA until they decided .au was the next big thing and then ran the ship aground in as many ways as they possibly could (too many scandals and bad decisions to mention).

Yes AUDA is a mess and people are worried. Membership surged from people who did not like the .au decision and all the shenanigans since.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
NOT TRUE

NOT TRUE
Perhaps you should read the Summary of Director's Duties. I take my responsibilities very seriously.
https://auda.org.au/pdf/board-directors-duties.pdf

Hi Ian, what is your experience with .uk and .nz domain names?
How many do you own?
Do you own;
  • .co.uk and the corresponding .uk
  • co.nz and the corresponding .nz
When did you get the .uk and .nz

What is the actual traffic difference of the .uk and .nz compared to the .co.uk and .co.nz?

Can you tell us the names so we can see them in use to confirm?

Did you pay for them or get them FREE under promotions?

What do you think about having to buy multiple domain names of the exact same word/ name for the exact same website and same country usage?

New Demand Class Director Appointment

"Long-term demand class member Ian Halson has been appointed to the casual Demand Class Director vacancy on the auDA Board.

The Board received high-quality nominations to the role, which led to two rounds of interviews to inform the selection process.

Mr Halson brings to the Board a mix of technical and commercial expertise and a decade of experience as a demand class member. An owner of domain names across .com.au and .net.au, he is familiar with other namespaces including the .nz and .uk ccTLDs.

The casual vacancy position will run until the 2017 AGM, when members will have the opportunity to vote on the permanent position"

Lemon

Top Contributor
As to your transparency, it is not the transparency of you with auDA that is the problem. It is transparency of auDA with its members that is the problem. You were not transparent to other members in your application to auDA.
Looking back I announced my intention to run as a Director back in June.

Speaking of transparency. You & Ned obviously knew that Shane was not going to stand at the AGM before it was announced to the members.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Market stability encourages growth?

When you dilute the market by doubling the supply of domains, you effectively dilute the entire current domain system value.

When it's unclear which is the dominant domain, you cause confusion in the market. This confusion will last for decades and no current domain will ever be as valuable as it was before this direct registration bs came up.

Lemon

Top Contributor
When it's unclear which is the dominant domain, you cause confusion in the market. This confusion will last for decades and no current domain will ever be as valuable as it was before this direct registration bs came up.
There seem to plenty of big players in the market that would have a differing opinion. They are still investing big money.

snoopy

Top Contributor
This confusion will last for decades and no current domain will ever be as valuable as it was before this direct registration bs came up.

Agree, the uncertainty will last a very long time. Look at how things have gone with .UK, the extension has been a failure yet still Nominet feels the need to to try and intervene, free registrations, allowing auto billing of credit cards on names people never even registered. That is desperate.

I think AUDA is going to be an absolute mess if .AU comes in because they'll be going down the same path, trying to promote something no-one wants whilst .com.au gets damaged.

Think of it like a big version of .id.au or .net.au where even after it becomes clear .AU has failed AUDA will attempt to promote this lemon at the expense of .com.au. AUDA has learnt nothing from its history of failed alternate extensions, the people in control of the ship will pull the rip cord on their 6/7 figure golden parachute and leave everyone else with a damaged market.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
There seem to plenty of big players in the market that would have a differing opinion. They are still investing big money.

Who are the "big players in the market" "investing big money"?

What extensions are these "big players in the market" investing big money into?

Are you talking about the many companies who run the extensions registering names in their own extensions for themselves and then trying to on sell them as premiums at far higher prices... which no one is buying?

There are NO big players in the market investing big money into .uk and .nz names... Name them and the names so we can see them registered and in use?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
There are still trade mark applications being filed for .au marks - https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/result?s=d15f2e14-dc96-47be-b623-a592b6a47119

The search is not perfect (it is a search on .au with the 2LD stripped) and IP Australia has not indexed some marks correctly, but there are about 20 registrations/applications for .au marks. I would have expected more.

There are some Lawyers who will of course PROFIT from this chaos....Are they creating it for their own gain and increase in legal business?

These are an example of the EXTRA the costs people have been warned about.....

neddy

Top Contributor
Nominations for election to the auDA Board closed last Sunday.

I had hoped there would already be a formal auDA announcement of all candidates, but maybe ICANN got in the way. Hopefully members will receive notification either tomorrow or Monday.

My nomination was accepted by the Returning Officer as being in order. My Proposer was Shane Moore; and my Seconder was Josh Rowe. I thank them both for doing me the honour.

This is my Candidate Statement (limited to 100 words):

"Earlier this year, I helped organise a Special General Meeting of auDA members. We reminded the current auDA Board that we’re a membership organisation, and entitled to communication, accountability and transparency.

Despite subsequent promises, not much has changed. That’s why I’m standing for the Board.

I love the Australian namespace, and have been involved for many years. I publish the industry blog Domainer.com.au, and am never afraid to speak my mind (in a constructive manner).

To see what I stand for, please go to Grumpy.com.au.

If you vote for me, I promise to be a fearless advocate for you."​

Ned

Nicole Murdoch

This is my Candidate Statement (100 word limited)

I seek your support as a Demand Class Director of auDA.
I bring with me over 10 years’ experience in corporate governance, over 10 years’ experience in IP law, over 20 years in IT and almost 20 years’ experience in the domain industry. I am a Director of Bennett & Philp Lawyers and a fellow of the Governance Institute of Australia.
I oppose direct registrations, am keen to increase the membership and transparency of auDA and increase community involvement in auD
More about me and where I stand- http://www.grumpy.com.au/about-nicole/

My nomination was accepted by the returning officer as being in order. My Proposer was Belinda Wadeson of Wadeson IP and my Seconder was Kathy Reid President of Linux Australia Inc.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Something for people to be aware of relating to how auDA has managed the .au namespace and the possible damage done to existing .au registrants to date... no direct contact by auDA to existing .au registrant consumers about proposed changes to the .au namespace, issues around finances, consumer protection and competition, wholesale pricing...

Past and present staff and Directors may be interested. Those who stood up and stand up for doing the right thing on the record may have done themselves a huge favour.

The highlighting of issues by the Government and the upcoming FIRST review may support future action.....

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo