What's new

2017 Board Elections

Cheyne

Top Contributor
just look at supply, i'm sorry but the candidates just don't stack up do they ! , "supply has left the building.........."
Because there is no point. You know that as much as we all do Tim.

Angelo, nominated by Ned, who is a very intelligent young man who is very well respected by everybody and has been part of panels and working groups for years, was overlooked both in the election and then again when Gavin was handed a position earlier this year.

Where is the encouragement for those who actually have registrar experience to put themselves out there when it is clear that no matter what he did he was never going to be elected? And who wants their name to be associated with the disbandment of a board if the Federal Government decided to take that route?

Getting elected to this board is currently like a carnival game. Unless you know the exact timing of when to put the balls down the clowns mouth you simply don't win a prize!

Scott.L

Top Contributor
just look at supply, i'm sorry but the candidates just don't stack up do they ! , "supply has left the building.........."

Well, I wont be drawn into comment about current supply candidates (I wish them well) I will say, I believe supply still have some legs, albeit exhausting, there are some very good candidates who could run but for whatever reason choose to remain in the shadows. I would hope they come forward in the future.

findtim

Top Contributor
Gavin was handed a position
i'll say first up i do not know angelo, i have met him once at the 2016 agm for @ 1 minute, but from what i have heard and read he is a "stand up guy"

i've worked with gavin on the board for many months on many different projects i will say to anyone that he is a complete gentleman with GREAT values, knowledge and integrity, he wasn't "given" the position, his knowledge and insight has been VERY worthwhile since he has been on the board and i can say he will be sadly missed.

gavin is one of the most honest people i have met and i will not stand by and have any disparaging remarks made of him.

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
Angelo, nominated by Ned, who is a very intelligent young man who is very well respected by everybody and has been part of panels and working groups for years
Angelo is a smart young guy, and part of the future of .au. Even though we also disagree on a couple of issues, I would back him every day of the year. I hope he puts his hand up at the first available opportunity.

Cheyne

Top Contributor
i've worked with gavin on the board for many months on many different projects i will say to anyone that he is a complete gentleman with GREAT values, knowledge and integrity, he wasn't "given" the position, his knowledge and insight has been VERY worthwhile since he has been on the board and i can say he will be sadly missed.

gavin is one of the most honest people i have met and i will not stand by and have any disparaging remarks made of him.
Firstly, it is impossible and completely irrational for you to surmise anything disparaging from "Gavin was handed the position".

I have had several conversations with Gavin and I have not said a bad word about him here or anywhere else.

Secondly, for the sake of better answering your question, let us review the facts just so we're on the same page here Tim.
  1. Gavin was not nominated as a supply class candidate at the 2016 AGM. Angelo was.
  2. When Kartic stepped down, an independent executive search firm was engaged to find a replacement instead of going to the next candidate as voted at the 2016 AGM OR holding an SGM to call for candidates and hold a vote.
  3. auDA chose Gavin over both Angelo, who was both interviewed and nominated at the 2016 AGM and next on the ticket, and anybody else this independent executive search firm interviewed, despite the fact he was at the helm of Crazy Domains in 2013 when they breached their registrar agreement AND represents the largest single registrar in market share and new registrations.
Let me say this again for absolute clarity - I am not questioning Gavin's ability or expertise, I am simply questioning the way in which it was delivered.

You asked why people are not putting their hands up to be supply class nominees? This is why.

findtim

Top Contributor
i'll concede "disparaging", it was a knee jerk reaction as i hold gavin in high esteem.
1 / 2 . yes, without disclosing information the same thing happened for the micheala replacement and i have been driving a change to the constitution on that note along with other directors.
3. "breached" , this is in danger of heading down the bankruptcy, insolvency, marriage equality precedence path so i'm going to have to ignore it i am sorry.
i voted for gavin to be on the board i am happy with my decision, i also believe that this should not happen again, it should go back to members.

having said that i believe that it should NOT be the next in line eg: i came third so i am in ! as people and policies change so it should be a "by election" type decision, that to me would be the fairest result.

You asked why people are not putting their hands up to be supply class nominees? This is why.
i am a strong advocate for REAL supply participation.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
Because there is no point. You know that as much as we all do Tim.

Angelo, nominated by Ned, who is a very intelligent young man who is very well respected by everybody and has been part of panels and working groups for years, was overlooked both in the election and then again when Gavin was handed a position earlier this year.

The supply outcomes are simply because of severe branch stacking, I think this is the major reason why the Government will have to intervene and restructure AUDA's constitution/membership structure.

If AUDA ever gets scrapped completely the reason why will be because there was never any genuine attempt to stop branch stacking. They branch stacking has led to all sorts of problems with the board and then bad decisions being made, all of AUDA's problems stem from branch stacking.

Demand side elections are badly tainted by branch stacking but not to the degree of supply where nobody else has any chance at all.

Cheyne

Top Contributor
3. "breached" , this is in danger of heading down the bankruptcy, insolvency, marriage equality precedence path so i'm going to have to ignore it i am sorry.
It wasn't my wording, it was auDA's.

https://www.auda.org.au/news/breach-of-registrar-agreement-by-crazy-domains/

having said that i believe that it should NOT be the next in line eg: i came third so i am in ! as people and policies change so it should be a "by election" type decision, that to me would be the fairest result.
The AGM was in November 2016. The vacancy was declared in January 2017. I can assure you nothing changed over Christmas and New Year, but nice try.

findtim

Top Contributor
breached,
It wasn't my wording, it was auDA's.
sorry but YOU typed it in BOLD in point 3 !
I can assure you nothing changed over Christmas and New Year, but nice try.
i wasn't trying, but i agree, but constitutional rules need to be applied for all potential circumstances thus my comments/view. and as stated this part of the constitution i feel needs changing.
i was on the panel to select eventually ian as the demand director replacement and i can assure you i went through these debates with other directors and within MYSELF as what is right and wrong, so i would have to safely say i'm an expert .

i spent MANY hours pondering the right of shane to be on the board and shane will back me up that i have told him that constitutionally he had no right, so lets move on and fix it another day.

cheyne , you are a clever man, but there is one thing that nobody can beat and thats honesty and i have mountains of it.

tim

Cheyne

Top Contributor
sorry but YOU typed it in BOLD in point 3 !
I really don't want to argue over semantics, but it was auDA who said they breached their registrar agreement, not me. I was simply quoting them.

cheyne , you are a clever man, but there is one thing that nobody can beat and thats honesty and i have mountains of it.
Whilst I genuinely appreciate the compliment, I assure you that I am not calling your honesty in to account here, and I apologise if you think that I am.

All I have said is that there is something NQR when the facts are as I outlined above yet you and other board members still voted for Gavin over Angelo, and this is WHY people are not putting their hands up because they see it as clear as I have explained it here!

findtim

Top Contributor
and this is WHY people are not putting their hands up because they see it as clear as I have explained it here!
i completely agree, i am trying constantly to DRILL DOWN into these issues, and honestly i am just learning whilst i still think being effective, there are MANY things we/auda need to fix and from the outside i can see it looks like nothing is being done.................. but it is, i'd describe it as a making a bechamel sauce,...................at first it looks like crap and then turns beautiful .

Cheyne

Top Contributor
i'd describe it as a making a bechamel sauce,...................at first it looks like crap and then turns beautiful
Oh dear... this is probably the worst analogy you could use with me!

One of my very first passions was cooking (I thought I would be a chef when I was younger), and making a bechamel sauce is actually the quickest and easiest sauce in the world to make given that it's based on a roux (butter, flour and milk) which is the very first thing you learn.

But I get what you're trying to say, and thank you for your effort. ;)

snoopy

Top Contributor

It needs to a fresh election, for supply side here is last years,

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 10.38.56 am.png
So to me coming in 3rd doesn't mean much when it is only 3 votes. It meant a lot more for Shane as he polled very strongly against a lot of contenders.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 10.41.04 am.png

Having said that in supply even with a fresh election is will mean very little because of branch stacking. Angelo could be the best candidate in the world and he still would never have any chance of getting in. The whole supply area is completely broken. The Government needs to intervene because AUDA is not going to police itself, the required special resolutions would never be passed.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Look at the memberships and tell me who has stacked the vote.
From what I can see there is one that stands out above all the others.

I done that analysis today as you suggest,

Here is a list of the most popular surnames on the AUDA membership list, (does not include supply co's obviously)

4 - Johnson
4 - Smith
3 - Fitzgerald
3 - O’Meara
2 - Halson
2 - Karabardak
2 - Kingston
2 - Lawrence
2 - Moore
2 - Murdoch
2 - Ng
2 - Rowe
2 - Summers
2 - Wiltshire
2 - Wright

Which is the one that really stands out?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I don’t want to sound like I’m obsessed with ICANN but I really do like their model. Not sure if we will ever get that way here or even if we should however.

I would have thought you would want somebody actually connnected with end users (demand), commercial (not represented really) and industry (supply) on the board.

Each segment of the market has different requirements and pain points problems; they should be represented.

That’s my $1.25

Hi Craig,

I have read your submission attached. I see a lot of issues with it.

1. 3- 6 months timeframe to claim any proposed new competing .au extension is totally unacceptable.

2. Preferential rights for trade mark owners for the .au? Why?
- The allocation of domain names is not given to trademark holders now nor has it ever been.
- There are usually many conflicting trademark owners also for names.
- At no time does a trademark confer automatic ownership of any domain name in any extension globally.

3. Preferential rights for government etc. Again why?
The allocation of domain names is not given to Government now nor has it ever been.

So the Australian Broadcasting Commission should get the ABC.AU name automatically first? Again why?

Why should the owner of defence.com.au lose the .au rights against Department of Defence? The Defence.com.au website is a well known platform on Defence news.
_______

The list of conflicts, problems and risk about the proposed competing additional .au extension is is long.
I think everyone would have to agree with this..

"John Swinson noted that it was open to the Panel to tell the auDA Board that, as a practical matter, direct registration could not be implemented."

Attachments

• Submission-to-the-2017-Policy-Review-Panel(1).pdf
    85.5 KB · Views: 3

Lemon

Top Contributor
Could easily be the case for several, e.g. 4 "Smiths", but I can't see any less biased way to answer Lemon's question.
Snoopy once again you are trying to manipulate the data to disguise the facts.

To be transparent.
LemonStone Group became a member of auDA in 2005 as did Ian Halson and I am the nominee for that company.

Why don't you do a new analysis of the membership base and include the nominees for the businesses that are auDA members and tell us when they became members of auDA.

Get your facts right before spouting some crap.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy once again you are trying to manipulate the data to disguise the facts.

To be transparent.
LemonStone Group became a member of auDA in 2005 as did Ian Halson and I am the nominee for that company.

Why don't you do a new analysis of the membership base and include the nominees for the businesses that are auDA members and tell us when they became members of auDA.

Get your facts right before spouting some crap.

How many memberships do you have?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members