What's new

Your biggest domain mistakes?

Cider

Hi All,
People have mentioned here that beginner domainers sometimes make the mistake of registering large quantities of domains that they later find not to be so good.

Anyone here made a mistake in paying too much for an individual domain, later having to sell it at a loss, or keeping it but knowing it'll be hard to break even?

Any other newbie mistakes people here have made and are now alittle wiser?

Thanks
John.

Honan

Top Contributor
Hi All,
People have mentioned here that beginner domainers sometimes make the mistake of registering large quantities of domains that they later find not to be so good.

Anyone here made a mistake in paying too much for an individual domain, later having to sell it at a loss, or keeping it but knowing it'll be hard to break even?

Any other newbie mistakes people here have made and are now alittle wiser?

Thanks
John.

Yes, I have sold plenty of names for less than what I payed
Some I have not been able to sell for anything at all
Another mistake I used to make was registering .info .biz .ws , .cc .tv etc

About the only dud extension I have not touched is .mobi

Now I try and stick to buying .com.au , .net.au , and .com only

Shane

Top Contributor
My biggest mistake was letting .coms I registered in the late nineties and early 2000s expire whilst traveling through Europe a few years later. There weren't any diamonds in there, but certainly a few that I'd love to have back today.

Other than that, my main mistake is probably selling domains to cheaply and chasing the quick sale. Patience is a virtue...

James

Top Contributor
A few regrets -

I use to be into myspace layouts website, I had some insider knowledge about a new social site back 2005 which had a few million invested that was going to take myspace place... I decided to purchase a bunch of related sites for this new project...After regging like 15 good domains related to the project...I sat on them for 2 years, then the site did not take off like investors expected and was a flop due to facebook. so yeah waste of 15 domains, but the funny thing is one of those domains I actually built into a website and yeah it gets like 100,000+ page views a month so yeah it was not that bad.

2. I use to own a .info for a good traffic term which use to get 10,000 searches a month exact, I sold it off cheap like 10 months rev...the website was ranking like 4th for the term...3 years later this specific term now gets like 250,000+ exact match searches a month and the site still ranks like 8th...burning!!!!

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I didn't take action earlier.

(this is almost always my biggest mistake - not just with domains)

payattention

Archived Member
I'm in the same boat cncventure, I wish I got started sooner. I've been online since the mid 90's but wasted my time playing UO, EQ and then WoW. I started my online business in 2009.

Having said all that, the barriers to entry are now non-existant. $20 for a domain and $10 a month for hosting a month and you're in business if you know a little SEO.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
consider all the people unaware of the industry and you may assess your still basically able to get in at ground floor level, certainly some opportunities available to purchase a name and start a website ...... population is only growing

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I'm in the same boat cncventure, I wish I got started sooner.
I first clued into the value of an exact match domain name back in 2006, I did research into available .com.au domain names back in 2007 but didn't buy my first one until mid 2009! Even then I missed out on dozens of decent quality hand reg domain names over the next 12 months through lack of decisiveness.

I cringe at all the decent quality .com.au domains names that you could have hand regged back in 2007.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Have sold lots of names at a loss, probably about 15-20% of all the names I have sold (talking about names bought at a premium rather than freshly registered names).

Biggest mistakes are probably names I could have bought but didn't, like jobseekers.com for $6000.

Some I have not been able to sell for anything at all

Have one like that at the moment, can't get a bid on it even with no reserve, paid about $1200 I think many years ago.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member