1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You List and/or Buy Domains on a New AfterMarket Auction Platform?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Chris.C, May 6, 2016.

?

Would You List and/or Buy Domains on a New AfterMarket Auction Platform?

1. Yes, definitely!

2. Probably

3. Maybe

4. Probably not

5. No, definitely not!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Chris.C

Chris.C Membership: VIP

When you say "wholesale prices" do you mean the sort of prices NetFleet gets for its domains or higher/lower?

2. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

I think it is market that barely exists, people with good quality domains who just want to sell for whatever the market dictates. Even in .com people running aftermarket auctions have struggled to get momentum.

3. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It's not that I don't think there would be any difference, I just think the difference wouldn't be of any great significance in comparison to simply getting enough of the right eyeballs watching.

The blind bidding system seems to work well in attracting higher bids, but as a seller I think I'd be a little nervous. I don't know why... maybe just because you can't see the action until it's all over. I don't know if I could sell a decent domain in that manner, but it could be good for liquidating marginal domains. Again it all comes down to attracting enough buyers.

4. Chris.C

What sort of things do you think would make it less nerve racking for sellers?

Agreed. Get this part right and the rest takes care of itself.

5. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Reserves I guess, but as others pointed out earlier, reserves don't really work with this type of auction.

You could allow sellers to enter a starting bid for each domain, but if you start getting unrealistic starting bids it makes the whole thing look stupid.

6. Chris.C

Yeah I think a "starting bid" or "minimum bid" is an option, but what could be done to disincentivise sellers setting unrealistic starting bids?

7. Chris.C

In light of Snoopy's comments above I've created a new poll in another thread to get a more specific response. I'd appreciate people's votes:

https://www.dntrade.com.au/threads/would-you-list-or-buy-domains-on-a-new-ama.10665/