What's new

Who Bought What On The Drop?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I picked up the first domain in awhile on drop today... CheapSeo.com.au.

I was very happy with needing to only bid $13 to secure it.

WG2010

Archived Member

I was going to bid on that but changed my mind. Figure anyone looking for cheap xyz might be difficult to deal with.

Still, it has potential. Grats on your catch.

marketingweb

Top Contributor

Maybe it could go with a domain I own, CheapWebsiteDesign.com.au

I still haven't decided if I should develop it or not for same the reasons noted - sometimes those with the least money have the highest expectations!

Matt

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I was going to bid on that but changed my mind. Figure anyone looking for cheap xyz might be difficult to deal with.
I've always been a no shit sort of person. My way or the highway.

If I ever turned cheapseo.com.au into a business I'd be operating it on a take it leave it basis.

:D

Maybe it could go with a domain I own, CheapWebsiteDesign.com.au
They would both go very well together. Do you have any price expectations?

James

Top Contributor
I saw that cheap SEO domain, and been a professional SEO & social media consultant I was considering it but the word "Cheap" would bring in the worst customers imo...Sure you might be able to make a few bucks but I don't want any business name with cheap in it....I use to run SEO services for lower range clients, had a decent number of rankings for Aussie SEO terms but dam the customers all seem to want every thing for nothing...

DomainNames

Top Contributor
mm i agree with James staying away from the name cheap most of the time is best. Its not really a benefit to most businesses brand wise unless you want the cheapest customers... CheapCars CheapInsurance etc can still work but CheapFunerals CheapSex might not. maybe CheapSEO.com.au would be more on the + side than the -

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I just picked up latestfashion.com.au today largely because my good friend already runs the blog www.fashionreview.com.au so I figured that I might be able to run a JV with him.

Though I would love to know if any of you guys bought rolemodels.com.au today?

I was the price setter in that auction.

:(

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I just picked up latestfashion.com.au today largely because my good friend already runs the blog www.fashionreview.com.au so I figured that I might be able to run a JV with him.

fashion is always ongoing ......most rolemodels don't even want to be one

stick with the fashion ! still working out some bugs but got www.ladiesfashion.tv going over the weekend

James

Top Contributor

Your friend is breaching Adsense TOS on the bottom unit in black with the pictures next to the unit...

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Your friend is breaching Adsense TOS on the bottom unit in black with the pictures next to the unit...
Are you referring to these policies points:

You can't:

# Direct user attention to the ads using arrows or other graphical gimmicks.
# Place misleading images alongside individual ads.

In which case it's one of those borderline things from my perspective. He has been doing it for well over a year now and I know he earns good money via AdSense (four figures a month) so I expect that Google has reviewed his site from time to time and have probably concluded that it's not "misleading" enough and not as blatant as an "arrow" and probably concluded it isn't a breach.

That of course is not to say they won't have a change of heart. I know I did something similar a few years back (I had four plain blue dots next to block ads). I had a personal Google AdSense rep at the time who gave me the thumbs up, but then 12 - 18 months later another Google rep decided it was a breach and made me remove it.

Win some lose some.

WG2010

Archived Member
Yeah, that 1 image alone isn't really enough to warrant any concern in my opinion. The issue is combining adsense and pictures so that they look related to one another.

For example:

marketingweb

Top Contributor
I've always been a no shit sort of person. My way or the highway.

If I ever turned cheapseo.com.au into a business I'd be operating it on a take it leave it basis.

:D
They would both go very well together. Do you have any price expectations?

Hi Cncventure,

I hadn't really thought about selling it - so hadn't really thought about price expectations. To be honest thought, I wouldn't bother selling for under $500, which probably looks quite expensive against the $13 you paid for the other! Not saying that that's my price, but would get me thinking. I only delegated it yesterday, so probably more likely to get it ranked page one for exact match term to give it a bit of value before I consider selling it.

Thanks for pointing that site out Timmy....
I probably won't go with it, but it DOES get me thinking....
The upfront amounts are pretty cheap, but the "ongoing" monthly amounts are pretty high - and where the money is to be made. At say $3 worth of my reseller account in hosting, $33 a month is $30 of profit. 12 months of that is $360, add that to the $97 for setup, and you are looking at $450 odd for a website someone builds themselves........

Of course you do need the software..... hmmmm interesting interesting, lots of possibilities.

Matt

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I hadn't really thought about selling it - so hadn't really thought about price expectations. To be honest thought, I wouldn't bother selling for under $500, which probably looks quite expensive against the $13 you paid for the other! Not saying that that's my price, but would get me thinking. I only delegated it yesterday, so probably more likely to get it ranked page one for exact match term to give it a bit of value before I consider selling it.
I don't think $500 is too expensive for a domain like that but you're right it does not provide the same return on investment when you are buying domains that are similar for $13!

:)

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Well it was a reasonably slow day at the expiry auction office with only 15 domains getting bids!

That said I picked up webhostingcomparison.com.au

It's not the best web hosting domain out there but I figured it should be easy enough to get a good ROI given that most web hosting companies offer pretty good trailing commissions for referrals these days. And I'm a big fan of trailing commissions!

soj

Founder
+1 to passive income :)

Just picked up the one domain, wanted Badminton, but kept going too high...

Sol

+1 to passive income :)

Just picked up the one domain, wanted Badminton, but kept going too high...

Yeah blast I got sniped last second. Hadn't really played AU auctions before, didn't realize it didn't keep getting extended.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Yeah blast I got sniped last second. Hadn't really played AU auctions before, didn't realize it didn't keep getting extended.
LOL

Unfortunately learning not to blow your load too early is one of those learning curves that we all have to go through.

I know my normal strategy is to try to be leading the auction with a little over 5 mins to go to. That way you know if no one bids more than you in the last 5 mins of the auction the auction won't be extended. However if someone bids more than your proxy bid in that final 5 mins and as a result extends the auction I don't bid again until the final moments of the extended period. That way you don't play your hand too early and don't give people the time to think that they would be willing to bid more than their current proxy.

Sol

LOL

Unfortunately learning not to blow your load too early is one of those learning curves that we all have to go through.

I know my normal strategy is to try to be leading the auction with a little over 5 mins to go to. That way you know if no one bids more than you in the last 5 mins of the auction the auction won't be extended. However if someone bids more than your proxy bid in that final 5 mins and as a result extends the auction I don't bid again until the final moments of the extended period. That way you don't play your hand too early and don't give people the time to think that they would be willing to bid more than their current proxy.

Righto. I thought blowing my load early was a thing of the past, but I guess not ;)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo