What's new

What's happening with direct registration

Erwin

Top Contributor
I’m wondering about this also!
I’m also curious as to the cut off date (for .au eligibility) I assume this will change with more up and coming campaigns by auDA

snoopy

Top Contributor
I thought this thread is worth a bump..
What on earth is happening?

Absolutely nothing, even with Angelo now getting himself on the board to try and push it through it still won't happen.

If they try to bring it it it will be auDA's ".org moment".

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Currently, the only way to keep track of direct registration policy and implementation is via the auDA Board minutes, which are available here:
https://www.auda.org.au/about-auda/our-org/board-meetings/

The minutes are pretty light on detail and content is often redacted, but it's all we've got for now.

Thankfully, minutes are being published more regularly than in the past, but there's still some time between meetings occurring and minutes being published. The minutes are typically published within a day or so of the Board confirming them as a 'true and correct record', which occurs at the subsequent meeting, rather than out of session (which could make them available sooner).

For example, the 26 February 2020 meeting minutes were confirmed as a 'true and correct record' at the 7 April 2020 meeting and were available on the auDA website shortly thereafter. The 7 April 2020 minutes were presumably confirmed as a 'true and correct record' at the most recent 19 May 2020 meeting; as they were published on the auDA website within a day or so of the 19 May 2020 meeting. This means that we should see the 19 May 2020 meeting minutes within a day or so of the meeting scheduled for 1 July 2020.

Here are some pertinent excerpts regarding direct registration from the latest (7 April 2020) minutes:
Item 9– Policy Development Update

Item 9.1 Risk Analysis of .au second level registration implementation Update

The Risk Analysis of .au second level registration implementation Update, which was tabled and taken as read and the COO was invited to update Directors on planning for risk treatments prior to launch.
The Directors noted the confirmed launch date of the new policy framework will be announced once the Board is satisfied that all project implementation plan and risk treatments are within tolerance.
It was noted a further update will provided to the May 2020 Board meeting [ACTION].

Item 14 –Information Papers for Board Information

14.1 Learning from .UK and .NZ

The Directors noted the Information Paper prepared by the COO, outlining the Learnings from .UK and .NZ.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Yeah and this from the quarterly update from their 8 May email > https://www.auda.org.au/assets/auDA-QuarterlyReport-Q1-2020.pdf

"The commencement dates of the new rules are yet to be set to enable the development of the required project plans, processes and communication materials to ensure their successful implementation."

Winter is coming to a finale and the plot will be a disaster that nobody will like.

I just wish Rosemary would examine the corruption behind the decisions made by the board such as the stacking of the auDA annual meeting with foreign voters from their contractor Affilias.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Winter is coming to a finale and the plot will be a disaster that nobody will like.

Think the place may finally implode if they try to push it through.

It is hard to imagine the government going with a plan that would add to people's cost whilst small businesses are going under and unemployment is 10%.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Think the place may finally implode if they try to push it through.

It is hard to imagine the government going with a plan that would add to people's cost whilst small businesses are going under and unemployment is 10%.
You have to admit that yearly domain name registration costs are pretty cheap compared to other business costs though.

snoopy

Top Contributor
You have to admit that yearly domain name registration costs are pretty cheap compared to other business costs though.

Not really, I can get hosting for $1 a month, a free Zoom account and a logo design for $5.

Meanwhile my domain which involves pretty much no work on the providers part costs me $78 per year at MelbourneIT. The true cost of that service is about $3.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Not really, I can get hosting for $1 a month, a free Zoom account and a logo design for $5.

Meanwhile my domain which involves pretty much no work on the providers part costs me $78 per year at MelbourneIT. The true cost of that service is about $3.
Who uses Melbourne IT anymore though?

Horshack

Top Contributor
Snoopy most businesses are at least paying rent, wages and utilities which make even the $78 per year domain name registration cost an absolute bargain.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy most businesses are at least paying rent, wages and utilities which make even the $78 per year domain name registration cost an absolute bargain.

Bit like arguing people should pay $100 for a glass of water because it will save their life and going to a hospital instead would cost thousands.

The actual cost of providing a domain name is a few dollars and business are paying too much right now. It is not like hiring employees or a renting a building that would have cost 6/7 figures to buy.

Horshack

Top Contributor
You seem to be talking about the actual cost to provide the domain name whereas I'm talking about the cost to a business to register a domain name with respect to other costs that they have to pay.

snoopy

Top Contributor
You seem to be talking about the actual cost to provide the domain name whereas I'm talking about the cost to a business to register a domain name with respect to other costs that they have to pay.

Most things are priced in line with the costs to produce.

Do you work for a registrar? This sounds like Adrian Kinderis's argument that you are running where he claimed it wasn't good for a prices to go lower.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo