What's new

Vitamins.com.au sells for $22,000

DomainNames

Top Contributor
worth $50,000 that name. Didnt think they would sell it for $20k.. maybe nows a good time to be grabbing some as it seems they are going up and up?

DavidL

Top Contributor
I agree - it's a great buy. Look at all these vitamin shops all over the place - it's a business that really is destined to move online.

BTW that makes $82K in aftermarket sales so far this month and lots of them too!

snoopy

Top Contributor
It is a nice sounding product name.

Not sure how the margins would be though (I'm guessing slim) and the fit with the web I'd rate as average, ie it is a product that can be bought easily at any shopping strip, supermarket or shopping centre.

I wonder if say a smallish online store can compete very well with a supermarket in this area. I think the price they got is pretty healthy.

DavidL

Top Contributor
... the fit with the web I'd rate as average, ie it is a product that can be bought easily at any shopping strip, supermarket or shopping centre....

Always so negative snoopy. It's a great product for the web - easily displayed, easy to send, no need to touch and feel etc.

Credit cards can also be applied for at any shopping centre, supermarket etc but does that make creditcards.com.au an average fit with the web?

Search 'vitamins' in Google and check both organic & paid results and you might change your mind...

tovtodah

Newbie Question

Newbie question but how do you make money from a site like this.

Selling vitamins?

Reviewing brands of vitamins with google adds?

Forgive me if this is like asking how long is a piece of string?

Makes me think of this book - http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Escape-Live-Anywhere/dp/0307353133/ - he made his start selling vitamins and then made a packet writing a book on how to outsource his business and his life. Its a fun and interesting read.

Last edited by a moderator:

snoopy

Top Contributor
Always so negative snoopy. It's a great product for the web - easily displayed, easy to send, no need to touch and feel etc.

Credit cards can also be applied for at any shopping centre, supermarket etc but does that make creditcards.com.au an average fit with the web?

Search 'vitamins' in Google and check both organic & paid results and you might change your mind...

With something like creditcards.com.au it is probably easier to apply for online than anywhere else. With vitamins you can buy them just about anywhere and at most places it looks to be about price more than anything else (I had a look today at some vitamin stores).

Where something is sold by supermarkets or large discounts stores it is typically very difficult to compete online in my view. The only real advantage to buying online would be if it could be offered for less, but the competition have massive buying power.

Not saying this is in any way a bad domain but I'm not sure it is going to be a goldmine either, eg the 50k appraisal.

As you suggest I had a good look at both the organic and PPC listings in google,

Organic section

-There is Wikipedia
-Then Blackmores
-Then a health information site
-Then news stories
-Then loads of local listings

So where is the opportunity in that? It sounds like top 3 or bust and the top 3 is going to be very difficult to out rank.

Paid section

I have had a look at google paid section and the top advertisers are manufacturers and real world vitamin stores with web presences.

1st: Ethical nutrients -manufacturer
2nd position: Vitaminking.com.au - Real world retailer with web presence (ironically there home page is full of body building supplements, not vitamins probably because bodybuilding supplements are a high margin business).
3rd - Vitaminwarehouse.com.au - again real world retailer with web presence

The rest is a mix of US sites, very large healthcare companies (eg Sanofi-aventis/Goldenglow.com.au), chemist chains and some crap like ask.com.

The only one that didn't look like a large real world company was in last position in the paid paid section. "mrsupplement.com.au" though they don't even look to be selling regular vitamins.

Personally from looking at all that I counln't find anyone that wasn't a real world retailer that was competing and don't agree that it would be easy to sell vitamins online.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Not sure I agree with the 'you can buy them anywhere so not so much value to have online' theory. No amount of shops can compare with accesibility that the internet gives.

I like the rest of the analysis though. Good job.

WG2010

Archived Member
Some what related to the supplement industry, I picked up glutamine.com.au and casein.com.au late last year. Not huge volume but a bit more niche supplement wise. Although nowhere near as valuable as vitamins.com.au, I still think they have a little value (more than reg fee in otherwords).

Opinions? Given the sale of vitamins.com.au, I figure it only helps.

James

Top Contributor
Would be good too see a domain like this developed, yet in the end of the day they own it so their decision.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Did vitamin.com.au drop in recent times? I have a friend who spent the best part of a year looking into this and the conclusion was it's impossible to compete with chemist warehouse and the pharmacy chains in general due to their buying power. IMO it's a good domain if you are one of these chains or a manufacturer of vitamins but to the little man with a vitamins website it might be a struggle. Then again there's always those 15-minutes of fame magical vitamins that appear on a segment of the news and make claims to cure everything.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
There would absolutely be a way to compete with those big chains and not necessarily on price. Develop that domain to be a content authority and you have a winner imo

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Some what related to the supplement industry, I picked up glutamine.com.au and casein.com.au late last year. Not huge volume but a bit more niche supplement wise. Although nowhere near as valuable as vitamins.com.au, I still think they have a little value (more than reg fee in otherwords).

Opinions? Given the sale of vitamins.com.au, I figure it only helps.

Those aren't bad but you have to either be in the industry already with established logistics/supplies PLUS you need to push volumes to make up for minimal margins.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member