1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

virgin australia adwords

Discussion in 'Monetisation' started by findtim, Feb 17, 2013.

1. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    theres been recent talk about this but i was amazed when i searched "virgin australia" there was NOOOOOOOOO adwords, none ! i was totally expecting webjet, flightcentre and maybe jetstar if they dared.

is this a google change even though the high court ruled for google on this issue?

the other thing , is it just my screens or is the colour behind the adwords ads above organic getting lighter and lighter ? so times i think i hvae to tilt my laptop screen to see where the organics start.

tim

2. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It is getting lighter.

3. Chris.C

Chris.C Membership: VIP

Virgin has probably just put in a request to AdWords to not allow people to advertise on their trademarks.

Generally Google is pretty good at disallowing people advertising on obviously trademarked terms.

I know I have had a few competitors removed from time to time (of course it doesn't stop me advertising on their name... LOL)

4. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i agree but what i find interesting is IMAGINE if every trademark owner sent a request to google to do this, the time and people power to implement would be astounding.

tim

5. James

James Membership: VIP

The search volume on a term like "Virgin Australia" is very high, it probably costs $xx,XXX+ a month even more to pay for the brand clicks on that term. Especially if you dominate page one from a brand point of view. Why not move that money to generic PPC keywords. Also as said above you can put a trademark form in with Google if you own the trademark for a term, thing is some times you have to keep pushing it too Google reps to stop people from bidding.

6. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    yeh, didn't think of it like that, thanks, it could be a quick waste of money.

a good quick lesson, thanks James.

tim

7. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    You don't have to have a trademark to do this.

what do you mean? If there are no advertisers, a competitor could get clicks for potentially a few cents. Aside from the ethical issues, it would make great commercial sense...

8. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Would say it is definitely being blocked, it doesn't even show search data for the term.