What's new

ThingToDo.com.au v's ThingsToDo.net.au

TroyW

Top Contributor
Hello everyone,

I'm extending the 'things to do/activities' activities sections from my regional websites into a national site. I have registered:

thingtodo.com.au and thingstodo.net.au

Godo/RedBalloonDays is squatting on thingstodo.com.au so no luck there.

The key term is 'things to do'. Google appears to show similar results for the plural to the non-plural with more websites using the plural.

In terms of development, which one would you build first?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Firstly I doubt anyone is "squatting" on a generic sounding name like that.

Secondly both those names are not intuitive, "thing to do" doesn't make sense and the .net.au has issues with the extension. Personally I would not use either and would look at related names which are available.

Would brainstorm for half a day and maybe try and come up with 100 or so alternatives, then see what is available and run it through the google adwords tool rather the Google itself. You need information on search queries, not search results if you are looking at development.

https://adwords.google.com/o/Target...000&ideaRequestType=KEYWORD_IDEAS#search.none

TroyW

Top Contributor
Defintion: Domain squatting

"Domain squatting is when somebody finds a domain name they like (someplace.com, for example), registers the name and just sits on it. They don't have any intention of creating a site or using the name for marketing purposes."
www.kbkmarketing.com/other-seo-definitions.php

Godo/RedbAlloon Days are the big brand in this area - I'd say they're squatting on the domain so that noone else can use it against their exisiting websites. They've owned it for a couple of years and don't even have a holder or referring page on it.

If it smells like a cow, looks like a cow and makes mooing noises - I'm calling it a cow.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Defintion: Domain squatting

"Domain squatting is when somebody finds a domain name they like (someplace.com, for example), registers the name and just sits on it. They don't have any intention of creating a site or using the name for marketing purposes."
www.kbkmarketing.com/other-seo-definitions.php

Godo/RedbAlloon Days are the big brand in this area - I'd say they're squatting on the domain so that noone else can use it against their exisiting websites. They've owned it for a couple of years and don't even have a holder or referring page on it.

If it smells like a cow, looks like a cow and makes mooing noises - I'm calling it a cow.

The isn't the definition of cybersquatting, it is a misguided piece of opinion from a site about "seo definitions". Cybersquatting involves trademark infringement.

"Cybersquatting is registering, selling or using a domain name with the intent of profiting from the goodwill of someone else's trademark. It generally refers to the practice of buying up domain names that use the names of existing businesses with the intent to sell the names for a profit to those businesses."

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29778.html

However if we use your definition and compare what the owner is doing with thingstodo.com.au (nothing) compared to what you are currently doing with thingtodo.com.au and thingstodo.net.au (nothing), how is it any different?

WG2010

Archived Member
Agree with snoopy..How about something like ThingsToDoIn.com.au or something like that.

As for the squatting thing, how can you know what their intentions are with the domain? I have a few domains that fit the same criteria but it's a time/money issue. Either way, I think "registered it first or bought it) is the ultimate trump card and should just be accepted as par for the course in this industry.

TroyW

Top Contributor
However if we use your definition and compare what the owner is doing with thingstodo.com.au (nothing) compared to what you are currently doing with thingtodo.com.au and thingstodo.net.au (nothing), how is it any different?

Snoopy, please read the posts before commenting. I reg'd mine 2 days ago and have every intention of developing them - this is what the post is about. :confused:

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoopy, please read the posts before commenting. I reg'd mine 2 days ago and have every intention of developing them - this is what the post is about. :confused:

How do you know what the owner of the other names doesn't have the same intention, didn't you also say they are in a line of business related to the name?

Secondly I looked at your post history and can see you complaining about AUDA taking names off people and stating you are trying to sell big chunks of your own portfolio, so how are these claims of "squatting" not hypocritical?

http://www.dntrade.com.au/biggest-buyers-au-domains-t299.html?p=1305

TroyW

Top Contributor
Agree with snoopy..

Really?

How about something like ThingsToDoIn.com.au or something like that.

Yes, I did look at this but it's taken.

As for the squatting thing, how can you know what their intentions are with the domain? I have a few domains that fit the same criteria but it's a time/money issue.

Don't think it's a time/money thing here. This company owns the 2 biggest brands in the game www.godo.com.au and www.redballoondays.com.au. They're awesome!

Why does everyone get so jumpy when the word squatter is used? It's a great strategy for a large company with established brands they want to protect. What's the worst that could happen to them? If someone complained, they would simply drop a holder or referring page on. Even if it was taken off them, they've had years of not having any competitors using the keyword domain against them for $12 a year. Sweet!

Give them some credit. Squatting on key word domains is really clever for big companies like this.

TroyW

Top Contributor
I looked at your post history

Wow, you must have some time on your hands. I can promise you that I won't look at yours - I'm too busy.

how are these claims of "squatting" not hypocritical?

Not that it's any of your business Snoopy, but I was considering selling my business. Yes, I actually do have a business and I use real my name on forums such as this - not hide behind a cartoon character and make snide remarks from the sidelines.

Last edited:

WG2010

Archived Member
Sorry TroyWhiteInternet, I agree with what you said regarding squatting. I just don't like that word because of the negative connotations with it. As long as they're not squatting on trademarks, I think it's a legit tactic. No-one calls McDonald's a squatter when they open extra shops to stop other fast food places getting a foothold in that region.

Mmmm McDonalds..

snoopy

Top Contributor
Wow, you must have some time on your hands.

It took 2 minutes.

Not that it's any of your business Snoopy, but I was considering selling my business. Yes, I actually do have a business and I use real my name on forums such as this - not hide behind a cartoon character and make snide remarks from the sidelines.

The fact is you are here talking about selling your domain portfolio [nothing wrong with that btw] whilst claiming a company that has registered a domain name related to their business is "squatting". It is an obvious double standard.

Oz.

Top Contributor
I don't think the word 'squatting' should be used in this case. It really does have a negative connotation and, by this definition, http://www.kbkmarketing.com/other-seo-definitions.php, most people on DNtrade are cyber squatters many times over.

Here is my favourite definition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

As for the original question, I'd look for another name too. Or maybe approach to buy the name from Redballoon?
+1 for what NetFleet said.
Unless there is a TM there is no squatting, just investing. IMHO
My suggestion, find a different domain too, best of luck.

Last edited:

TroyW

Top Contributor
Develop thingstodo.net.au

Thanks for everyone's comments (including Snoopy). I'll develop the .net.au and see how it goes. Of course, I'll redirect ThingToDo.com.au to the appropriate website.

It will be an interesting test for the .net.au as I already have a couple of good search placements for '[INSERT REGION] things to do' from exisiting websites.

Also, I think next time I ask for comments I'll avoid using the Squ...... word as it's highly emotive and really seems to come down to which definiton is used.

Vicstar

Thanks for everyone's comments (including Snoopy). I'll develop the .net.au and see how it goes

Hey :) Hope I'm not being Mrs Vaguebottom here :rolleyes: but I doubt this is you then?
http://www.netfleet.com.au/index.php?a=d&id=16570

I concur... Net.au is a'goer. ThingToDo.com.au is singular & may appear to some as not offering much in the way of "things" (ie. some may think it only offers 'one' thing to do!??) It doesn't have the same great energy that ThingstoDo.net.au has as a plural ;) good luck xx

Jonathan

Top Contributor
Troy sounds like you've made up your mind, but personally I'd definitely pick a different name. As others have said, 'ThingToDo' doesn't make sense, and 'ThingsToDo.net.au' will be orders of magnitude harder to rank than a .com.au.

And if you do manage to get it ranking you'll leak traffic to the .com.au.

Timmy

Banned
If my opinion is worth a pinch of salt... I would stop looking at it from that perspective altogether.

They might offer 'things to do' but really what they offer is a place to buy 'things to do'. Look at the specific services and build a wider funnel.

Register something like FunThings.com.au, WantTo.com.au or something short and catchy (and plurals in my opinion are always better for branding purposes although singular search volumes sometimes win!) and then register 50 names that involve the services you wish to promote. Example: HotAirBallooningNSW.com.au.

Face it, there are always bigger fish, and no matter what niche you like you'll always have an uphill battle. There's always more than one way to skin a cat! See the problem with big fish IMO is that they find a nice cosy spot where the feeding is good and get complacent.

(Too many animal metaphors but you get the idea.)

Firstly I'd pick smaller competition haha! But if I was so inclined, I would build a network of 50 feeder sites to a fresh and memorable domain and sneak in under the radar.

Those guys make $xx millions per year, and believe it or not, probably would applaud someone who offers some competition. If you want 3% market share, do it, just be clever about it and only worry about the shit you can control, IE- **Available!

Also, if you build a nice site on a catchy domain, then stop all affiliate crap on your other sites and promote your new venture with clever geo-targeted ads. List build, add value, competitions, build real customer relationships (no matter how few initially), implement social media strategies and dominate the big fish in other areas while they are snoozing :)

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members