What's new

The World's Most Abused TLDs

chris

Top Contributor
Came across Spamhaus' list of TLDs with their "Badness Index", have only seen a few of them in the wild.

.world Badness Index: 6.19 Domains seen: 24,984
Bad domains: 15,969 (63.9%)
.life Badness Index: 5.16 Domains seen: 30,890
Bad domains: 16,418 (53.1%)
.ryukyu Badness Index: 5.06 Domains seen: 278
Bad domains: 254 (91.4%)
.ooo Badness Index: 4.39 Domains seen: 832
Bad domains: 575 (69.1%)
.desi Badness Index: 4.11 Domains seen: 261
Bad domains: 202 (77.4%)

Top Level Domain (TLD) registries which allow registrars to sell high volumes of domains to professional spammers and malware operators in essence aid and abet the plague of abuse on the Internet. Some registrars and resellers knowingly sell high volumes of domains to these actors for profit, and many registries do not do enough to stop or limit this endless supply of domains.

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

They also report the most abused domain registrars:

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/registrars/

snoopy

Top Contributor
New tld's are continue to slide down the tube, I'd expect the spam situation to get worse as volumes and sales continue to drop. Registries aren't going to crack down on their main customers any time soon.

chris

Top Contributor
New tld's are continue to slide down the tube, I'd expect the spam situation to get worse as volumes and sales continue to drop. Registries aren't going to crack down on their main customers any time soon.

I was open minded about new TLDs initially, but when I see an email address or website using one, I automatically assume spam. My guess is that spam filters will be scoring these domains harshly going forward looking at these stats.

There are some exceptions, maybe .app .agency and a few others that I see being used properly.

snoopy

Top Contributor
There are some exceptions, maybe .app .agency and a few others that I see being used properly.

I'd imagine spammers would go for the ones under $1 (which is a lot of them). Wouldn't surprise me to see more going down this path in the future as things continue to dry up.

Not only are registration volumes falling but aftermarket sales are also, 749 report sales so far this year versus 1490 for last year, meanwhile .com has already exceeded last years numbers. The new tld area is going to get ugly in my view.

chris

Top Contributor
Registration numbers aside, do you think any of them will ever be accepted @snoopy ?

I can see .app being used by developers for web utilities and web apps, almost as an alternative to .io.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Registration numbers aside, do you think any of them will ever be accepted @snoopy ?

I can see .app being used by developers for web utilities and web apps, almost as an alternative to .io.

No I don't. I don't think many people will want to pigeon hole themselves, and apps are beginning a slide down in my view.

To me it is very similar to .mobi. Where an extension (or a domain) is based around a type of technology that is a bad idea because eventually the technology becomes transparent and meaningless. It is not dissimilar to people who register 5g domains or all the prior ones, voip, 3g, cyber etc.

For something like .io and .co they are in major decline (.ai has taken a lot of their market share)

Namebio stats for .io

2017 - 1162 sales
2018 - 915 sales
2019 (so far) - 583 sales

All alt extensions simply feed off each other. Give it a few years and there will be some other "cool new" rebranded country code that eats .ai's lunch as well, and anyone using a .ai will look like a company timestamped at 2017-2020.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
People still pushing apps on the radion/television but for one off uses it does seem quite stupid to keep loading your phone up with these things (my phone just rings)

snoopy

Top Contributor
People still pushing apps on the radion/television but for one off uses it does seem quite stupid to keep loading your phone up with these things (my phone just rings)

Yep, unless it is something people use all the time it is pointless, like expecting people to have a loyalty card for a shop they go to once a year. Google have already kicked things off by scrapping some apps and going web only.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I still remember my superannuation company sending me out a keycard sized membership card, why ? It's not like I am going to carry it a around in a wallet next to my debit card. I keep refusing a rewards card at woolworths, in the end the lady who keeps asking just laughed and gave me a free coffee cup anyway. (I don't drink coffee) but she showed some good will so I didn't mention that.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member