What's new

The power of auDA

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Totally understandable that you are frustrated.

Out of curiosity do you know if the the potential buyer was an end user or domainer?

DavidL

Top Contributor
Those responses sound fair enough to me. I feel really sorry for you and can't understand why they were deleted after you gave what looks to me like perfectly legitimate explanations.

Maybe George can comment - he knows policy better than all of us here.

Highlights the need for an independent & inexpensive complaints mechanism

TroyW

Top Contributor
Hello Auda - I know you're reading :)

One of the saddest parts about the Australian domain industry is that I don't believe Auda actually set out to make such errors of judgement, they just don't seem to have the understanding or skill to implement policy.

Again, under the ruling given to me by Auda you would have been eligible for domainmonetisation.com.au - none of the others. If this interpretation was applied to all registrations then how companies like OMG, etc continue to operate is well beyond my comprehension.

Perhaps PD'ing domains is a great way to raise revenue? If you can delete then allow the re-registration of the same domains 3 times a year then you can triple your income. Are Auda still strapped for cash?

Newk

These are my observations out of this thread:

1. We need auDA to publish a "Dummies Guide" to monetising domain names. This would help avoid "grey areas" and problems like Glady and others have experienced. Trying to interpret the nuances of policy is like trying to read a road map in the dark.

2. We then need consistency in decision making.

3. We need a Domainers Association. However, one thing occurs to me. Do we not elect a board of members each year from supply and demand classes? Aren't these people then like our local Council? e.g. If we have a problem in our residential neighborhood, or if we don't want a commercial development to go ahead, we go and lobby our local elected councilor. Surely we should be able to do the same here?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
It would be extremely easy for someone here to get voted onto the board of auDA.

There are 4 positions available for demand side members on the board.

There are only 98 demand side members of auDA versus 297 members of this forum.

It costs $22 to become a member.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
As much as I love George, he is not a domainer and is also on the dark .... I mean supply side.

What I'd like to know is where are the current demand side directors given this is 'the' forum for Aussie domainers. I'd reckon if you want to ge re-elected you'd want to start getting active here.

Honan

Top Contributor
It would be extremely easy for someone here to get voted onto the board of auDA.

There are 4 positions available for demand side members on the board.

There are only 98 demand side members of auDA versus 297 members of this forum.

It costs $22 to become a member.

Ok, I have filled out the form at
http://www.auda.org.au/form-membership.php
Who else will ?
Or is $22 too much?
I know that some dntrade members are def. short of a quid

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor

:rolleyes:

I have to laugh when I read things like this. Having run for the auDA board at the last election, you can say that I'm more than aware of auDA's disdain for anyone representing domain investors.

For the record, I plan on standing again at the next election.

Here is an interesting read for you:

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/158371,auda-reformists-spy-board-roles.aspx

Obviously, I'd encourage everyone to become a member of auDA. Its just one of the ways we WILL change the .au landscape for the better. Its only a matter of time.

Simon

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
:rolleyes:

I have to laugh when I read things like this.

Congratulations instead of trying to capture my vote you alienated this voter.

Perhaps you need to review your methods.

Lets start again. This is day one of your new campaign what are you going to do to make auDA better for domainers (start a new thread).

Just communicate what the issues are, what you will do to fix them and when are the important dates so we can keep it top of mind to be ready to act/vote.

Thats a better strategy than laughing at people now isn't it?

---------
Been fcked over by auDA lately? Join for $22 and vote a Domainer of the board. ------ is a member of this forum and is up for the vote.

Last edited:

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
To answer your question. The link previously provided to IT News contains all the information you asking, including candidate statements from everyone who stood at the last election.

As auDA members you can vote for anyone and I'd strongly encourage you to look at all the candidates that stand.

In terms of important dates, auDA usually does a "Call For Nominations" around August/Sept.

As a side note, for those that would like to get involved in auDA, members have obligations (including conduct) under auDA's constitution - http://www.auda.org.au/about/constitution/

I hope this helps clarify things.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
As much as I love George, he is not a domainer and is also on the dark .... I mean supply side.

Sorry guys, I just returned from a vacation and I was under direct orders from the boss (my wife) to stay away from doing any work. I did manage to sneak away on occasion though.

I just wanted to comment on this thread about my relevance to domaining. Although I am on the supply side (aka dark side), I would argue that few others in the .au industry has listened and serviced as many different domainers as I have. Those of you that know me will I hope attest to the fact that I have always offered advice and listened to people's business needs. This gives me a unique birds eye view of the landscape. So potentially, I would argue I may have a better perspective than a domainer on some issues.

Although I do not label myself as a domainer, I do have a strong commercial interest in making the domain industry an open and free market. Prior to becoming an auDA Board member, I have participated on a number of panels and most importantly I was on the panel that recommended the introduction of monetisation and secondary market sales. I have also attended a number of ICANN events and Domainer Conferences, all helping to further increase my awareness of issues relating to domainers.

Being on the supply side of the equation does not dilute my relevance to domainers. In fact, my business relies on your business succeeding.

During my time in the industry the .au space has changed significantly. Just 10 years past, it was a fax based application process, and a one domain one legal entity environment. Now registrants can monetise and sell domain names openly and freely and can own as many domains as they want. Internationally .au it is regarded as one of the better ccTLDs and it has strong consumer trust from the Australian Internet community. This translates to value.

(NB: I will only use my credit card online with well known big brand .com websites. However, I trust much smaller operations if they have a com.au domain. Why? Because I know they are legitimate legal entities and if I need to I can track them down, via their ABN or ACN)

In conclusion, I agree that domainers as a subset of demand class stake holders must get more involved. In order to effect change or have your interests represented at an industry level, you can't sit on the side lines and complain about decisions after the fact. As Simon and David both suggested, get involved it costs next to nothing for membership and you are protecting your investments worth many many times more...

Best Regards,
George

Last edited:

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
Sorry George I didn't mean to cause offence, I should have said:

As much as I love George, he is not just a domaining god, he is also a supply side wizard and as he represents on the supply side, his demand side friends can't vote for him even though they really want to.

The only thing you could knock George for, is his taste in AFL teams.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
LMAO - no offense taken!

As for the Tigers... believe me I have thought about switching, but all i could bring myself to do was to start following a second team too. Go Saints!

George

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members