What's new

The numbers just don't stack up

TroyW

Top Contributor
Maybe I'm a loner but my money is on the old numbers having some relevance - the question is to what? Google is too big a company to knowingly publish incorrect data when it's whole pitch is the accuracy of it's data. Interesting one to watch.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Maybe I'm a loner but my money is on the old numbers having some relevance - the question is to what? Google is too big a company to knowingly publish incorrect data when it's whole pitch is the accuracy of it's data. Interesting one to watch.

I don't think they have had any great pitch about accurate data,

Certainly a lot of the data is still wrong though even with the latest update,

Eg,

[realestate] 91
[real estate] 246,000

DavidL

Top Contributor
Just had a meeting with Hitwise (I am a client) and asked them about releasing just their search volume data for a small % of their usual package price.

They said it could well be an option as they are switching from relative measurements (share of search terms) to absolute figures (actual number of searches) so this could be worked in afterwards.

HW measure 3m Australian users through data they buy from ISPs so is pretty damn accurate!

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Just had a meeting with Hitwise (I am a client) and asked them about releasing just their search volume data for a small % of their usual package price.

They said it could well be an option as they are switching from relative measurements (share of search terms) to absolute figures (actual number of searches) so this could be worked in afterwards.

HW measure 3m Australian users through data they buy from ISPs so is pretty damn accurate!

Thanks for the heads up NF, thats great news!

DavidL

Top Contributor
Demo here - http://www.google.com/landing/instant/

amazing stuff isn't it

What are the implications? I guess it means you need to put more emphasis on ranking early in the complete search term.

Eg if you rank for 'domain name' but not 'domain', it might be too late - someone who's planning to type 'domain name' might see a relevant search pop up whne they've only got to 'domain...' and give up further typing.

Oz.

Top Contributor
What are the implications? I guess it means you need to put more emphasis on ranking early in the complete search term.

Eg if you rank for 'domain name' but not 'domain', it might be too late - someone who's planning to type 'domain name' might see a relevant search pop up whne they've only got to 'domain...' and give up further typing.
That is the major implication that I can see.
Plus how will this affect search volume numbers from now on in the adwords keyword tool, with every keypress = new search. :)

DavidL

Top Contributor
That is the major implication that I can see.
Plus how will this affect search volume numbers from now on in the adwords keyword tool, with every keypress = new search. :)

Read somewhere that if the result remains on the screen for at least 3 seconds it will count as an impression. Presumably this will also equate to an actual 'search'

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Read somewhere that if the result remains on the screen for at least 3 seconds it will count as an impression. Presumably this will also equate to an actual 'search'

Here it is:

How impressions are counted

When someone searches using Google Instant, ad impressions are counted in these situations:

* The user begins to type a query on Google and clicks anywhere on the page (a search result, an ad, a spell correction, a related search).
* The user chooses a particular query by clicking the Search button, pressing Enter or selecting one of the predicted queries.
* The user stops typing, and the results are displayed for a minimum of 3 seconds.

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en-uk&answer=187309

WG2010

Archived Member
If this negatively effects adwords revenue they will shit can it within moments. I can't see advertisers being too impressed with this either. Every time I search it's like Google wants to give me an epileptic fit.

Billy01

Top Contributor
Remember g is not evil ????

They would never do this to promote newspaper headlines and papers ad space .

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

my 2 cents worth - Google Adword keyword tool - old vs new, I would go for the new - my experience of late shows about a 4 to one reduction. Having said that even the new system still needs to be taken with a grain of salt - the name says it "AdWord" keyword tool - why is it called an AdWord tool and not say Google KeyWord Ranking Tool??. The tool is not promoted as a keyword search to improve rankings per se but moreso for advertisers to pick words for ad relevance - IMO. The two have some commonality but they do not run parallel. How many of the searches shown are in fact from clicks on Adword customers sites and or Adword Sponsered sites? How much influence does this have on the breakdown of the search data? Google are in the business of making money, just like the fruiterer down the road, it just so happens thst Google are using search advertising as an income source whilst the fruiterer is relying on apples and oranges - the reason they are both in business is common, to make a profit. Google will no doubt favor advertisers period.

The new instant search system - in my humble opinion it will be bad news for sites that do not fall into the "did you mean" phrase category - i.e. those categories are selected due to popularity - popularity is gained through "surfing" (not necessarily just clinical searching) - searching will become far less as the search box does what the dropdown box has been doing for some time, narrowing down the search terms to popular ones. So how then does another term get to be popular to be able to be included in the "elite" if searchers do less surfing (surfing = looking around and trying out a few sites - then beginning the actual search) to help drag a new word phrase closer to the top?. So I reckon it will be significantly harder to climb the ranking ladder if your site doesn't fit inside an existing predetermined slot.

cheers,
Mike

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi Shaun,

The stats vary wildly depending on how you source them from Google (and all these stats have been sourced from Google).

We supply the metric information as an added value service to help bidders make informed buying decisions, but we have always recommended that bidders conduct their own research...

"Importantly the data used highlights domains based on specific criteria, but it is possible that some excellent domains may have been missed or the data may have changed over time so we would advise you to continue conducting your own complementary research. "

Hopefully this is a minor glitch that will be corrected, not a change of Google policy and we can get back to some consistent data.

Andrew

Hi Andrew - as a matter of interest how / where do you get the data showing inbound links that you will provide in info against a name dropping? I know NetFleet stopped putting up such data (thankfully) due to unreliability - I certainly made some purchases based on indicated data that turned out to be unreliable (Googles issue, not Netfleets).

cheers,
Mike

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Hi Andrew - as a matter of interest how / where do you get the data showing inbound links that you will provide in info against a name dropping? I know NetFleet stopped putting up such data (thankfully) due to unreliability - I certainly made some purchases based on indicated data that turned out to be unreliable (Googles issue, not Netfleets).

cheers,
Mike

Bottom of the DROP email shags:

Links In Count: The number of links coming from other sites to the domain, otherwise known as back-link data and compiled using Amazon Web Services.

mattjk

Thought I'd throw in my two cents on the AdWords Keyword Tool stats:

I'm almost certain that the "new tool, logged in" results are the most correct (and very close to reality) - based on data, not just an opinion.

I'm not a domainer, but rather run SEO for a medium-sized business that has been into SEO for /long/ time. We rank very well for a large range of short-tail and medium-tail phrases, and all of our analytics data points to the "new tool, logged in" exact match results being correct.

A great example if our own brand name. It's quite distinct, we operate in a fairly narrow niche, our homepage shows at #1 with sitelinks when you search it (as you'd expect), and there is no AdWords competition at all in the SERPs (yay trademarks!). Essentially, if someone runs an exact search for our brand name there is a /very/ high probability they're going to click-through to our site. I'd say certainly 90%+, and 95%+ wouldn't be a stretch.

The "new tool, logged in" exact searches for our brand shows 3,000/month. The total visits to our website last month from people who exact-searched our brand name on Google was 3,100. Note I made these numbers up, but have kept the ratios the same as reality.

As you can see, the two numbers are almost exactly the same. The fact that our own stats are slighly higher I would put down to an increase in search traffic from this keyword phrase, combined with the AdWords Keyword Tool data being a three-month rolling average whereas our own stats are for the last complete month.

To me, the almost idential searches and visitors numbers combined with the expected 90+% CTR strongly suggests that to the numbers from the Keyword Tool are correct.

Demo here - http://www.google.com/landing/instant/

amazing stuff isn't it

My guess is that it's going to be a very good thing if you rank well for short-tail phrases, and a bad thing if you rely upon long-tail.

Consider this: say you run a website that is #1 for "cheap widgets" but nowhere to be found for "cheap widgets for blue cars in melbourne".

Previously, you would miss any users searching for the long-tail phrase. Now, when the user gets as far as typing "cheap widgets..." (or perhaps even shorter - e.g. "cheap widg..."), the SERPs will update to show /your/ website at #1. Previously, they would never have seen your website /at all/.

Some proportion of searchers will continue to type "... for blue cars in melbourne" and pass you by, but you'd expect some to notice your #1 result after "cheap widgets...", stop, and click on the result. So, in essence, you'll end up "stealing" some of the long-tail traffic. And, on the flip-side, I can't think of any reason why Instant would be negative for your existing short-tail SERPs unless perhaps it benefits AdWord advertisers greatly in some way.

Maybe time will prove me wrong, but this seems logical... going to be an interesting couple of months regardless.

Shaun

Top Contributor
My guess is that it's going to be a very good thing if you rank well for short-tail phrases, and a bad thing if you rely upon long-tail.

Consider this: say you run a website that is #1 for "cheap widgets" but nowhere to be found for "cheap widgets for blue cars in melbourne".

Previously, you would miss any users searching for the long-tail phrase. Now, when the user gets as far as typing "cheap widgets..." (or perhaps even shorter - e.g. "cheap widg..."), the SERPs will update to show /your/ website at #1. Previously, they would never have seen your website /at all/.

Some proportion of searchers will continue to type "... for blue cars in melbourne" and pass you by, but you'd expect some to notice your #1 result after "cheap widgets...", stop, and click on the result. So, in essence, you'll end up "stealing" some of the long-tail traffic. And, on the flip-side, I can't think of any reason why Instant would be negative for your existing short-tail SERPs unless perhaps it benefits AdWord advertisers greatly in some way.

Maybe time will prove me wrong, but this seems logical... going to be an interesting couple of months regardless.

Just to state the obvious, short term searches hold the most value for Google in terms of Adwords revenue.

mattjk

Just to state the obvious, short term searches hold the most value for Google in terms of Adwords revenue.

Very true. I think that fact also helps validate my logic: Google will be chasing the buck, which means they've probably measured that Instant = more short-tail ad clicks. If that rule holds true for ads, then you'd assume it holds true for organic SERPs too.

James

Top Contributor
Best way to get accurate data for keywords is to rank on page 1 for a vast number of keywords then take data from webmaster tools.

The bad thing about the Australian market is that the tools available for keyword research are not that great, I have tested a whole bunch of US tools and the data set in Australia sucks.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member