What's new

Tactics moving forward (direct .au registrations)

Erwin

Top Contributor
I’ve given this some thought.
With the introduction of .au imminently close I wonder what your tactics are moving forward regarding applying for your category 1 or 2 or general availability.
Personally, I’ll most likely register all my generic one word domain names to which I have 1st right.
I will only obtain a few ‘short’ two worded domain names to which I have 1st right.
Most of my other longer two worded names I will not even bother with..
One name I will try to obtain, but I’m in a fight with x2 others (.com.au & id.au) in which they will also try to obtain it.

What are your tactics in this regard?

Regards Erwin

trellian

Top Contributor
Hi Erwin,

Anyone with .id.au I would be looking at their eligibility as the domain needs to be tied to a name or nickname for that person. If someone has something like:
BusinessServices .id .au then they are not eligible to have that extension. So that would be step 1, remove as many that have Cat 1.

And clearly anything that you find of value I would assume you would want to protect and not have someone reg a direct version unless you want someone to create a site there and bleed traffic to your .com.au if you have a .net.au you will not get this traffic bleed.

I doubt that there will be too many domain investors that will use drops or hand reg many direct .au domains, so I would assume that most names will not be regged by domainers for resale, but instead by end users that plan on creating sites there... once created they will become future buyers of your .com.au domains and will pay more as a result.

For our internal domains we have bought other extensions that had cat1 rights to secure the .au as cheaper to buy now than later and also cheaper than going through the complaints process. This was for those that we place high values on.

Erwin

Top Contributor
I would imagine lots of trade happening behind the scenes very soon regarding paying out the other in the resolving of ‘conflicts’ between eligible parties in regards to who will obtain the .au
I’d imagine escrow might be used in some up and coming deals..

trellian

Top Contributor
Trade and Complaints are way up as a result of direct reg. We have seen our eligibility complaints jump substantially and we know that for other registrars that has been the same as well.

Erwin

Top Contributor
Trade and Complaints are way up as a result of direct reg. We have seen our eligibility complaints jump substantially and we know that for other registrars that has been the same as well.
I think no one is surprised by this (inside these circles).. it must be terribly frustrating to explain it to them. You’re merely trying to implement an auDA action.

Erwin

Top Contributor
So what happens now, are registrars getting ready to email their clients, advising them whether they’re interested in obtaining the direct .au(s) ?

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I'm going to triage my domains into 3 groups, with the lower value group being dropped to fund the token tax of the top tier. The middle tier will be kept but I will not apply for the tokens.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
I suspect large portfolio domainers will be looking to sell the hell out of their portfolios before the extra cost breaks their model through income outflow.

Scott7

Top Contributor
I suspect large portfolio domainers will be looking to sell the hell out of their portfolios before the extra cost breaks their model through income outflow.
My take is that if someone builds a business on a .au, eventually they are going to want and need the .com.au because it is the default in the mind of the average Australian consumer. It's possible that this could lead to some higher priced sales of .com.au domains. Not owning the .au, could be an advantage for domainers. Could be wrong. Just my two cents.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
My take is that if someone builds a business on a .au, eventually they are going to want and need the .com.au because it is the default in the mind of the average Australian consumer. It's possible that this could lead to some higher priced sales of .com.au domains. Not owning the .au, could be an advantage for domainers. Could be wrong. Just my two cents.
Yes, I should have said, sell the hell out of their lower value domains. Whilst I agree with the "fiverr/fiver" / ".com.au/.au" scenarios, I can't see the market potential being very big and probably mostly wishful thinking as a strategy.

It just might be the right time to submit an offer if you've been eyeing off a domainers portfolio?

Erwin

Top Contributor
Has anyone made any contact with the other(s) in regards to acquiring or come to an (.au) arrangement? Surely there are deals happening?

Erwin

Top Contributor
Since direct .au domain has a lot less red tape associated with it, I’m just wondering how many will perform any changes from their .com.au to the .au
Curious if there are any legal loophole(s) associated with this move..

trellian

Top Contributor
if you have a net.au, id.au, asn.au... then those would be more inclined to change over to the .au
Personally I doubt that there would be any business that would want to change from a com.au to .au as the cost to do that would be significant...

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member