1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Sold.Com.Au .... Sedo Auction

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Data Glasses, Nov 19, 2013.

1. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    when you have a market leader like carsales generating massive income you can afford to try different techniques, grab another market...... kill everyone else..... and then start charging.

nice share folios: http://screencast.com/t/vzWiAe3x

page 13

tim

2. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

so hes got about $50-$60 Million in shares. Not a bad effort on top of a nice regular paycheck!!

3. James

James Membership: VIP

Main reasons include:
    *Auction ended at 3am
    *Bidders have to be SEDO certified, takes time to do.
    *No marketing to end users in Aus.

4. Senator1

Senator1 Membership: Community

Did an Australian entity get this? I hope so...

5. Horshack

Horshack Membership: Community

Probably just someone with an ABN. Maybe some trademark issues here.

6. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Not sure I see how there would be trademark issues? Why did you bid if you thought that?

7. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    you'd be lucky to trademark "sold"

tim

8. Horshack

Hi Snoopy that's why I didn't bid anymore. Sold.com.au is not a registered trademark but Sold2.com.au is a registered trademark. Possibly shades of realestate vs realestate1. I only bid on it at the end because it still looked cheap at $10k plus legal costs. Domain Mills lawyers may have an off the record view on this. Either that or a mistake on my part.

9. Horshack

Sold.com.au had been applied for and approved as a trademark but they never paid the registration fees from what I can see so it was never registered. Later on down the track sold2.com.au was registered. I've been on the wrong end of trademarks before. Maybe I was just paranoid but I didn't want a trophy. Good luck to the buyer.

10. snoopy

There is no issues with that. It is no more risky than any other name with variants around it - which is a good thing generally. There isn't even a site on sold2.com.au.

11. James

Trademark is on the "sold2" term for the website http://sold2.com/ as far as I could see.

I do not think you would have any issues with sold.com.au as a site.

12. Horshack

Hi James, the trademark is the full term sold2.com.au with index details .AU .COM 2 NUM SOLD SOLD2COMAU. After seeing the realestate.com.au vs realestate1.com.au result I wasn't sure. Maybe a big mistake.

13. James

Yeah I think you could just launch a trademark on sold.com.au if you were the buyer. Just because they have a trademark does not mean they are going to win the domain over you. This would be the perfect job for Cooper Mills to fight. I believe he has dealt with similar cases in the past where some one has a trademark on a .com version of a .com.au generic term for example.

That been said I also notice that sold.com.au who is data has still not updated, I have purchased a few domains at SEDO auctions in the past, domains usually exchange hands faster unless some type of break down with the escrow transfer.

14. snoopy

Transactions a month or two sometimes. Wouldn't expect this to go quickly with a corporate seller and .com.au domain.

15. Horshack

I have no idea but I'm guessing that there might be another $10k in legal costs to come on that one.

16. snoopy

Man....you missed it...deal with it.

1 person likes this.
  17. Horshack

You're spot on snoopy. I was actually on sedo to look at purchasing another 4 letter .com.au name for a project with a partner but we shelved that this morning because the owner never responded to the initial offer so we've moved to a different 3 letter offer now.

18. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

yep.. have to agree with you

There are no IP / Trademark issue's for Yahoo to sell it or for someone to buy it.

Also note:

http://www.sedo.com/us/buy-domains/purchase-and-sales-agreement/

2. Warranty and Liability

a) The Seller guarantees that he/she is the owner of the aforementioned purchase object and may freely dispose of it. Furthermore, he/she guarantees that the purchase object is not encumbered by the rights of third parties and that he/she has, up to now, received neither warnings or preliminary injunctions related to the purchase object nor in any other way, legally or extra-judicially, become aware of the violation of third-party rights or of a violation against applicable law.

19. Horshack

They haven't been using it as a trademark and don't have one registered. You're never going to lose it but there may be problems with using it for what you want to if there's a competing similar trademark in the same goods and services classes.

20. Horshack

I was looking at it for advertising in real estate which is class 35 goods I believe. The sold2.com.au trademark is for class 35 goods so you won't be able to use it for this. Can you see the problem now and the legal costs or am I imagining this?