What's new

Review of .au secondary market

Nova

Top Contributor
Interesting regarding the proposal to remove the initial 6 month embargo on the transfer of domains. I like it :)

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Interesting regarding the proposal to remove the initial 6 month embargo on the transfer of domains. I like it :)

Yes this rule was only a baby step to the inevitable. Its about time the 6 month rule was deleted and soon it will be enabling people to do what they like with THEIR domain names they bought and invested in.

If you buy a house, car, boat, business, bike or anything else no other " regulator" says you cant sell it within 6 months so AUDA needs to delete this policy rule immediately and allow people to buy and sell when they want for whatever amount they want.

The fee for registrant transfer also needs more competition and lower prices!

Last edited:

neddy

Top Contributor
I am glad to be on this panel, because the main thing that stands out to me is the inequity with the 6 month rule.

I understand why it was introduced initially. There was a fear over cyber squatting etc. But over time this has proved
to be largely unfounded. The stats as produced bear this out.

This is the current situation:

1. You can buy any domain (either privately or on secondary auctions) that has been registered for 6 months and sell
it straight away.

2. But you can't buy a domain on the "drops" and sell it tomorrow. Bear in mind that any domain that is dropping is
at least 2 years old! In some cases, the domain may be ancient! But because the previous owner didn't renew it for
whatever reason, it is deemed as a "new registration".

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So in my opinion, we all need to submit that the 6 month rule should be abolished, and that domains can be
bought and sold whenever.

This would free up the bureaucracy for registrars and auDA, and perhaps help reduce the costs of domains.

All other policies can remain in force to protect any affected parties.

I agree Ned, the 6 month rule is stupid. As you say there is no evidence that supports a proposition that the 6 month rule some how stops bad faith registrations. It is a nonsense. The auDRP is what stops cyber squatting.

I encourage everyone to make submissions on this point.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
didnt know this before

http://www.auda.org.au/pdf/smwg-issues-paper.pdf

"The Working Group further notes that the policy is inconsistent, in that the 6 month block only applies to newly created domain names and not to transferred domain names (ie. there is nothing to stop
someone buying a domain name on the secondary market and immediately offering it for sale)."

This means buy a dropped name or one that already been registered before and you can sell it the next day doesnt it? WOW... never knew that.. thats AWESOME

Last edited:

Ash

Top Contributor
This means buy a dropped name or one that already been registered before and you can sell it the next day doesnt it? WOW... never knew that.. thats AWESOME

Sounds like you're half right DomainNames... you can buy a domain off the secondary market that has already been registered for more than six months and resell straight away, but by the sounds of it a dropped domain is considered a new registration and it is currently subject to the 6 month rule.

neddy

Top Contributor
didnt know this before

http://www.auda.org.au/pdf/smwg-issues-paper.pdf

"The Working Group further notes that the policy is inconsistent, in that the 6 month block only applies to newly created domain names and not to transferred domain names (ie. there is nothing to stop
someone buying a domain name on the secondary market and immediately offering it for sale)."

Unfortunately, as per my original post (see point 2), currently the policy does not apply to "dropped" domains. No matter
that the dropping domain is in theory already two years old.

That's why I and others believe the policy needs to be modified - and why we all need to make a submission.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Unfortunately, as per my original post (see point 2), currently the policy does not apply to "dropped" domains. No matter
that the dropping domain is in theory already two years old.

That's why I and others believe the policy needs to be modified - and why we all need to make a submission.

Hi Neddy,yes I read that. A question so how does Drop.com.au and netfleet.com.au get the name and resell it at auction with a new registrant. Arent they selling it within the 6 month period then? ...Meaning if you where to get it yourself at the drop you could also resell it like them or auction it?

Everyone including AUDA seems to now agree the Best thing to do is get rid of the stupid 6 month rule all together..

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Hi Neddy,yes I read that. A question so how does Drop.com.au and netfleet.com.au get the name and resell it at auction with a new registrant. Arent they selling it within the 6 month period then? ...Meaning if you where to get it yourself at the drop you could also resell it like them or auction it?

Everyone including AUDA seems to now agree the Best thing to do is get rid of the stupid 6 month rule all together..

Isn't it that it is registered in your name immediately if you win the auction and drop/netfleet catches it...? I'm not sure but I think that's how it works

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Isn't it that it is registered in your name immediately if you win the auction and drop/netfleet catches it...? I'm not sure but I think that's how it works

Exactly sp@rky13. Each Drop platform takes bids from customers interested in registering a given domain. The Drop platform then attempts to register the domain in the winning bidders name.

Cheers

Andrew

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members