What's new

Result of 2010 auDA Board Election

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
First of all I want to say a BIG thank you to all the people that voted this year. Unfortunately I did not get elected to the board. The election was won by Kim H and Cheryl L who were the incumbent Directors.

For the record, I asked to see the votes at the AGM and was told (no) it was a "secret ballot". :mad: As such, I dont know if I lost by 1 vote or 10 votes. This is obviously not acceptable and I'll be pursuing this with auDA.

In any case, today marks the first day of my 2011 campaign as I'm going to run again! This result has made me even more determined and I'm going to do everything possible to ensure that the auDA board (and its policies) are representative of both small business and domain investors.

The industry needs someone to "keep fighting for what is right" and I'm going to continue this until such time as things change.

I have a feeling that 2011 is going to be our year and I look forward to your continued support! :D

hi guys

I echo Simon's sentiments. Unfortunately I was not successful this time around, but have decided to run again in 2011, so the campaign starts today.

I want to thank everyone who supported me, I am so grateful. I will continue to fight for what I believe is right, including the removal of unfair and discriminatory policies that effect small businesses and domainers.

As my new campaign has started today I encourage all DnTrade members to join auDA and have your voice heard, whether it be on election day or whether it is in the policy panels. In order to succeed we need everyone to be involved, and let auDA know that they need to be more in touch with their members, and the community as a whole.

If you would like to join, you can do so here

Chris.C

Top Contributor
For the record, I asked to see the votes at the AGM and was told (no) it was a "secret ballot". :mad: As such, I dont know if I lost by 1 vote or 10 votes. This is obviously not acceptable and I'll be pursuing this with auDA.
Please do follow this up. I'd love to know how close you were as well.

In any case, today marks the first day of my 2011 campaign as I'm going to run again! This result has made me even more determined and I'm going to do everything possible to ensure that the auDA board (and its policies) are representative of both small business and domain investors.

The industry needs someone to "keep fighting for what is right" and I'm going to continue this until such time as things change.
Great to hear.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Unlucky guys - I really thought you were in with a strong chance.

There are 107 members

What proportion do you think would have voted? 75% (complete guess)

That would mean 75 x 2 votes = 150 votes up for grabs. 7 people were standing so if the votes were evenly split (which of course they weren't), each director would get about 20 votes.

I personally know of over a dozen people who were voting for you guys. For every person I happened to know about, I'm sure there would have been sevreal others so with my crude guesswork and maths, I would have expected you each top have polled at 40 votes at a minimum.

Must have been a very strong vote for the incumbents.

Now, why are the results kept secret? There must be some rationale behind it (not expecting who voted for who but the numbers would be good)?

Thanks David we were very unlucky

They said 48 proxy forms were received, that is all we know. I don't know what the big secret is. In the interests of transparency the best thing would be to disclose how many votes each candidate gets. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

In any case I am running again next year!

Lemon

Top Contributor

Even if it is a "secret ballot" they should still publish the results. In theory the secrecy is to protect the voters rights. After all the general election is a "secret ballot" but they still tell us how many votes were counted. With only 107 demand class members it must have been a close call.

Perhaps Erhan can follow this up as well. Is this constitutional?

Lemon

Shane

Top Contributor
That's a shame guys, I expected at least one of you to get in. Damn incumbents...

Given the low number of members, and the low cost of joining, I would be subsidising the membership fees for a lot of friends in time for next year's vote! ;)

You can count on my vote next year Simon.

WG2010

Archived Member
I never got around to registering, I slacked off... put it on the back burner, so my apologies. I'll register and vote for you guys next time, such a shame you didn't get the votes.

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
That's a shame guys, I expected at least one of you to get in. Damn incumbents...

My "gut feel" says we came VERY, VERY close, but the reality is, we just dont know. :confused:

Given the low number of members, and the low cost of joining, I would be subsidising the membership fees for a lot of friends in time for next year's vote! ;)

Feel free to signup, if you have not already. If your friends are interested in auDA and want to join, then they should do so themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but we can win these elections "fair and square" by keeping everything, 100% above board. Tonight, I'll go to sleep thinking that I did everything legitimately. :)

You can count on my vote next year Simon.

Thanks so much. It's taken a LOT of time, money an effort this year (and that's an understatement). I really appreciate your support.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I never got around to registering, I slacked off... put it on the back burner, so my apologies. I'll register and vote for you guys next time, such a shame you didn't get the votes.

Good on you for admitting it - no need to apologise though, we all have demands on our time and we must now look to next year.

So everybody who isn't currently a member act NOW! (not in 10 minutes:) ) and download a form and send it off. It will literally take 5 minutes.

I agree with Simon if Domainers are to get involved it must be done 100% above board and by the book, otherwise the community will not have any credibility. We all have to take the high ground.

I am very confident if everyone gets involved, not just in elections, but also policy reviews there can and will be change. While both Simon and I have indicated that we are running again, aside from your vote at the AGM, you can help by nominating for every panel review that auDA announces or making submissions on reviews that auDA takes from time to time. I am also considering starting some petitions to seek change, lets all be a lot more active!

The lesson from today is unity equals strength, let's regroup and keep fighting for change!

Once again, thank you so much to everyone for their support and encouragement. My phone has been ringing off the hook with support, thanks again guys!

If you have any questions feel free to email me erhan [at] coopermills.com.au or drop me a line on 03 9866 8850

Cheers
Erhan

Last edited:

WG2010

Archived Member
Good on you for admitting it - no need to apologise though, we all have demands on our time and we must now look to next year.

So everybody who isn't currently a member act NOW! (not in 10 minutes:) ) and download a form and send it off. It will literally take 5 minutes.

I just filled out the application form then, so no more excuses :)

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Maybe its time AUDA got some media and political scrutiny. They have cost australia Billions over the last years they have been in charge of the outdated Policies. We always are 7 years behind !

Hard to motivate people to give others a chance once they have feathered their nests and are comfortable. ( when was the last time the CEO job was advertised etc?)

Last edited:

Shane

Top Contributor
Feel free to signup, if you have not already. If your friends are interested in auDA and want to join, then they should do so themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but we can win these elections "fair and square" by keeping everything, 100% above board. Tonight, I'll go to sleep thinking that I did everything legitimately. :)

My comment regarding subsidising friend's memberships was very much tongue-in-cheek! :)

I signed up a few weeks back, but was too late to vote this year.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo