What's new

New way of selling

neddy

Top Contributor
Ok - as you know, we like experimenting with different ways of selling domains.

This time around, we are trialling the famous "Dutch Auction" method.

I think this could be quite exciting - it's where the price starts at the top - then gradually goes down until someone sees the value at a particular level and then buys.

This method is famously used overseas e.g. flowers; fish; produce.

So why not domains?

• We have two basic entry points - and one basic rule.

• $500 start price - if no one posts sold, then the price gets reduced by $50 the next day. So it is then $450 - and if no one posts sold, it goes down to $400 the next day ........... and so on
    until someone posts "sold". It could get down as low as the minimum level of $50*. *This is assuming the listing runs for 10 days with 9 price reductions. If it is a 7 day listing, then the
    lowest price it will get to is $200 (with 6 price reductions).

• It's like playing "chicken" with your fellow domainers! :) Who wants it first?

• The other entry point is $250 - this goes down by $25 per day until someone marks "sold". Minimum price level $25*. *This is assuming the listing runs for 10 days with 9 price reductions. If it
    is a 7 day listing, then the lowest price it will get to is $100 (with 6 price reductions).

• The one basic rule is that the first person that posts "sold" at the particular price level is the winner.

• Other normal marketplace rules apply of course. :)

• We do reserve the right to change or add to these rules if required.

What do you think?

As usual, I will be the "guinea pig" !

Last edited by a moderator:

johno69

Top Contributor
It could get down as low as the minimum level of $50.

Seems they can't go this low, people are putting a 7 day expiry on the auctions.

$500 - 6 x 50 = $200

Only deduct $50 6 times because you don't deduct it on day 1.

Anyway, nice idea.

neddy

Top Contributor
Seems they can't go this low, people are putting a 7 day expiry on the auctions.

$500 - 6 x 50 = $200

Only deduct $50 6 times because you don't deduct it on day 1.

Anyway, nice idea.

Nitpicker! But you are right. :)

Anyway, it is all about trialling and testing new / different methods of selling domains.

Some may work - some may not. But if we don't try, we'll never know.

johno69

Top Contributor
Nitpicker! But you are right. :)

Not nitpicking, just saying, it's like a hidden reserve.

$500 start price, will pull auction with no sale @ $200.

All fair and good.

I hope to grab a bargain or 2 for sure.

It's probably going to make it more encouraging for sellers, because they don't need to let them go for $50.

Last edited:

neddy

Top Contributor
Not nitpicking, just saying, it's like a hidden reserve.

$500 start price, will pull auction with no sale @ $200.

All fair and good.

I hope to grab a bargain or 2 for sure.

It's probably going to make it more encouraging for sellers, because they don't need to let them go for $50.

Good points that you have raised Paul (particularly the last one) - and as usual you are right with regards the numbers etc.

I have amended the initial post / rules to clarify situation.

Many thanks.

neddy

Top Contributor
The "dutch auctions" have got off to a flying start, and a couple of buyers got good deals yesterday.

The psychology of the process is interesting to me.

I know from subsequent PM's / emails that there were domainers out there waiting to post "sold" on both domains - but they were hoping the price would go down one or two further notches!

As I said in my initial post, it is like playing "chicken" with your fellow domainers. :)

One regrettable situation arose yesterday. I had been talking to a fellow domainer about buying photographyjobs.com.au, and had "motivated" him to do the deal. I told him to post "sold" on the thread,
but in a total fluke and coincidence, another member posted "sold" before he had the chance to.

I felt absolutely horrible - but to the disappointed member's great credit, he ultimately understood that the rules stated whoever posted "sold" first gets the domain. Thank you to him for that - and I have
made it up to him in other ways. :)

So the moral and lesson of this situation is: (regardless of whatever private correspondence you may have had with someone else):

The first person that posts "sold" at the particular price level is the winner. That's the rule of these "Dutch Auctions".

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo