What's new

new TLD'S "Failing" and drastic price discount

snoopy

Top Contributor
I didn't think they had done that style of promo, I know .xyz did. However I do agree if you asked anyone in the street if they have been to a.club website they would say "wtf is that?"

Godaddy home page. I'd say .club is very reliant on "paid placements" at 99 cents to get volume.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 9.05.55 am.png

snoopy

Top Contributor
Yet still no recognition by the critical mass, until the "facebook" comes along using a New Gtld they will remain hidden

This will never happen because the only reason someone would use a ntld for something important would because of a lack of funding. We have seen popular sites use new tlds before, e.g. delicious, but once they get a certain amount of funding they will be able to afford the .com.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
The facts show the failure... Look at the registrars buying their own names to try and save the extensions reputation..before they flop.
It won't be long before even the registrars drop them
Stick to .com, .com.au, .co.uk, .co.nz etc etc Not even goog;le and the multinationals waste their money on many of the other extensions as they know it just a waste of money and it can backfire on their search and google results...
https://twitter.com/thedomains/status/881654978930253827

"So 62% of all Gs are parked another 6% are going to be deleted that's 70% right there; 48% owned by China & US is down to just 10.4%"​

snoopy

Top Contributor
.sydney and .melbourne are both still going nowhere still despite godaddy dropping the price by 90% (to under $10) on new registrations.

The respective governments must be losing huge amounts of money given advertising and promotion is be done for the sake of half a dozen registrations per day,

.Sydney Total registrations

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.33.46 pm.png

.Sydney Registrations per day

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.42.29 pm.png

DomainNames

Top Contributor
.sydney and .melbourne are both still going nowhere still despite godaddy dropping the price by 90% (to under $10) on new registrations.

The respective governments must be losing huge amounts of money given advertising and promotion is be done for the sake of half a dozen registrations per day,

.Sydney Total registrations

View attachment 514

.Sydney Registrations per day

View attachment 515

Include the failed .Melbourne and Send that to auDA's Board and the auDA CEO
Cameron Boardman | Chief Executive Officer
.au Domain Administration Ltd
T: 1300 732 929 | F: 03 8341 4112
E: cameron.boardman@auda.org.au | W: www.auda.org.au
Twitter: @auda | Blog: www.auda.org.au/blog‪‪‫ 
auDA - Australia's Domain Name Administrator

CEO FAIL GRADE for new domain name extension policy development and implementation?

https://atlarge.icann.org/apralo/cameron-boardman-bio-en
"Previously Mr Boardman led the policy development on behalf of the Victorian Government regarding the implementation of the .melbourne domain."

snoopy

Top Contributor
"Previously Mr Boardman led the policy development on behalf of the Victorian Government regarding the implementation of the .melbourne domain."

This is part of the reason why .au is destined to fail if brought in in my view. Their direct experience at launching a new tld is .melbourne & .sydney, and AUDA's last attempt at a new ntld was .id.au.

I get the impression AUDA may think they can do better than .uk if they study it enough, they seem to think they can avoid the mistakes .uk made and have a better result.

For example AUDA's latest research (citing .uk),

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 2.40.39 pm.png

The main reason it has no momentum is there is little demand beyond defensive registration. A 5 year option wasn't the reason for it flopping.

Then we get the old "we know what we are talking about" quote,

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 2.40.49 pm.png

And then this one,

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 2.44.53 pm.png

You cannot "educate" people to use a new tld, just like you can't "educate" someone buy a Ford Falcon or to use a Blackberry instead of an iPhone.
The product needs to be compelling, market demand not "education" and .au will never be compelling.

https://auda.org.au/assets/pdf/auDA-direct-reg-phase-I.pdf

snoopy

Top Contributor
Upcoming deletes for ntlds look to have reached a record high with ntldstats reporting 3,485,169 names in that status, 12.99% of all new tlds registered.

I was curious about the size of this as it has gotten way bigger than just .xyz and .top registrations and it seem to be very widespread, for example .vip has 100k names in coming up (12%), .tech 20k, .space 12k. Every 2nd extension has massive deletions in the pipe line.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Upcoming deletes for ntlds look to have reached a record high with ntldstats reporting 3,485,169 names in that status, 12.99% of all new tlds registered.

I was curious about the size of this as it has gotten way bigger than just .xyz and .top registrations and it seem to be very widespread, for example .vip has 100k names in coming up (12%), .tech 20k, .space 12k. Every 2nd extension has massive deletions in the pipe line.

I reckon the problem with gTLD's is found in the lack of policy market arbitrage, it’s not exploitable by investors to allow traders an opportunity to profit. Plus, the Increasing opportunity cost to exploit any profit from a policy market arbitrage without any stimulant to allow a trade-off fundamentally reduces the values of gTLD's, in favour of returning to a more stabilised (.com)

snoopy

Top Contributor
I reckon the problem with gTLD's is found in the lack of policy market arbitrage, it’s not exploitable by investors to allow traders an opportunity to profit. Plus, the Increasing opportunity cost to exploit any profit from a policy market arbitrage without any stimulant to allow a trade-off fundamentally reduces the values of gTLD's, in favour of returning to a more stabilised (.com)

Agree, registries have attempted to trap all the profits. I don't blame them for that though, I'd do the same thing if running one of these tlds.

My view is there is no market demand either. It is all defensive registrations and domainers and both of those two markets are likely in decline for ntld sellers.

At the end of the day it is a very poor quality product that is being sold. Normally with a dud product it would simply be discontinued, in the case of ntld domains though it will be a long slide down because of the large costs involved with shutting down an ntld.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
auDA staff and the auDA Board plus their "consulting" firms needs to not only read this but understand it and accept it.

Time for the Buillshi$ to stop.

.Melbourne has been a total disaster.
Is this what the auDA CEO and the auDA Board have plans to do again with their new plans for a "better" new .au extension? FAIL

snoopy

Top Contributor
auDA staff and the auDA Board plus their "consulting" firms needs to not only read this but understand it and accept it.

Time for the Buillshi$ to stop.

.Melbourne has been a total disaster.
Is this what the auDA CEO and the auDA Board have plans to do again with their new plans for a "better" new .au extension? FAIL

Ironic that I have only ever seen 3 people defend .Melbourne, and all 3 were also AUDA directors!

snoopy

Top Contributor
btw: do you know what has happen to the Deliotte report? AUDA seem to have some data because the CEO was talking about the economic impact of .au but not on the .au business case which they stated would be publicly released?

Global market assessment
At the end of last year, auDA commissioned Deloitte Access Economics to undertake a global market assessment and report back to us on the following:
• an update of their previous assessment on the economic contribution of the .au DNS
• assess if the .au DNS represents critical infrastructure
further benchmarking of the impact of direct registrations, globally, to better inform the policy development for direct registration.

A number of individuals and organisations around the world have been contacted to undertake qualitative interviews. On completion, this report will be made available to the public.

https://www.auda.org.au/blog/happy-new-year-from-the-ceo-at-auda/
Surely that report would be complete by now?

Scott.L

Top Contributor
upload_2017-7-21_17-32-9.png
upload_2017-7-21_17-32-30.png

i suppose when calculated together these two extension scraped in a measly $1m+ in gross revenue - I'de say the tax payer hasnt received any net gain from its implemnetation. More likely registrants in this space are still trying to figure out how best to utilise it. (way to restrictive to succeed) pays for the staff christmas party perhaps...lol

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo