What's new

Netfleet premium domain lists?

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Hmmm... you sure? I'm not.

I thought the underlying rule is no one has any more right to a domain name than anybody else? George - care to comment - you are the policy guru?

In fact having a look on auDA site:

http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2002-07/

Correct David, if your name is Mr Ebay, and you had an ABN as a sole trader, then you would be entitled to the domain name ebay.net.au or even ebay.com.au (had you got in there quick).

Now what you do with the domain is another question...

You can't then act in bad faith and put up an auction site on ebay.net.au, because you would be trading off the company Ebay's goodwill.

The company Ebay would take Mr Ebay to court, bypassing auDA altogether! The matter would have nothing to do with domain name policy per se, and everything to do with TM infringement from a business practice perspective.

Hope this clears it up, a little better.

Best Regards,
George

WG2010

Archived Member
Very interesting thread. I'm neutral on the issue and believe it's a decision for the buyer/seller to decide whether to sell/purchase. Who am I to suggest there is no proper reason for anyone to own ebay.net.au aside eBay themselves?

The Nissan.com story is a real eye opener which many people would think Nissan Motors should own if taken at face value alone. As it turns out, that's not the case and that could apply to many other similar domain names.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thanks for the heads up Timmy,

"pendingDelete (Client requested policy delete)"

Anyone know what this means?

DavidL

Top Contributor
The client is the registrar, I believe. So it just means someone complained to auDA, auDA would have requested a response from the registrant. And when that was unsatisfactory would have requested the registrar to put it into delete.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Spot on David..

I never liked the terminology of that status. The "Client" reference is confusing. David is correct, it reflects that the registrar, as the registry's 'client', submitted the request via the registry portal.

Regards,
George Pongas

Last edited:
Thanks George, good read, Phil is a smart guy. One thing of interest is U.S. Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA), it is one of the most horrendous laws in the US. TM domains cause some real issues for domainers, but there are a number of variables that need to be considered when determining a trademark infringement.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo