What's new

.net.au vs .com.au for eCommerce - is there a difference?

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

You have www.HarmonyBall.net.au but you have let www.HarmonyBall.com.au sit there for anyone else to register still?

Register www.HarmonyBall.com.au fast before you lose the chance!!

.com.au will always be the more popular and trusted .au extension.
and there was I thinking I was getting nothing out of this thread - then BINGO ....... seriously, thanks for the heads up ... I had been regularly checking on that domain for 6 or so years and then just gave up.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
and there was I thinking I was getting nothing out of this thread - then BINGO ....... seriously, thanks for the heads up ... I had been regularly checking on that domain for 6 or so years and then just gave up.

Some others would have stayed silent, registered it and waited for you to contact them for the sale :)

Now you need to work out how to get it all moved over to the .com.au for seo etc.. Talk to Jim Stewart if you need a hand maybe https://stewartmedia.com.au/

Horshack

Top Contributor
Why bother moving it all over if it's doing ok and ranking well. Why not just register the .com.au and sit on it. The average person in the street has no idea and just types a search into google. There's no difference in trust between .com.au and .net.au to the average Joe. Some look for the .au ending but if you're really worried and on the ball you'll register the .com above all else.

findtim

Top Contributor
congrats shags , i had a similar experience not so long ago, i waited 3+ years for a domain.
but this just shows the quality here on dnt, we just wouldn't do that to someone. i've given "heads up" and many members have given "did you know" to me, we actually do have an unwritten dnt CoC

i agree with horshack, don't move it, just do a redirect, the cost of moving to the .com.au would outweigh the advantage NOW you have the .com.au in your control.
so now the whole structure of this thread has changed, and you CAN NOT tell me you don't right now feel better because you own the .com.au ?

this just turned into a very interesting thread.

tim

xwdomains

Top Contributor
I would prefer the .com.au over the .net.au as the majority would however it is possible to outrank using a .net.au if the .com.au is just an ugly parked page.

shags38

Top Contributor
Some others would have stayed silent, registered it and waited for you to contact them for the sale :)
Again many thanks - your deed reinforces my faith in mankind (or womankind ....or LBGTQI kind .... didn't want to leave anyone out :p)

shags38

Top Contributor
congrats shags , i had a similar experience not so long ago, i waited 3+ years for a domain.
but this just shows the quality here on dnt, we just wouldn't do that to someone. i've given "heads up" and many members have given "did you know" to me, we actually do have an unwritten dnt CoC

i agree with horshack, don't move it, just do a redirect, the cost of moving to the .com.au would outweigh the advantage NOW you have the .com.au in your control.
so now the whole structure of this thread has changed, and you CAN NOT tell me you don't right now feel better because you own the .com.au ?

this just turned into a very interesting thread.

tim
Well said Tim - I really appreciate the support in here at DNT .... and the occasional banter :D
cheers,
Mike

shags38

Top Contributor
Why bother moving it all over if it's doing ok and ranking well. Why not just register the .com.au and sit on it. The average person in the street has no idea and just types a search into google. There's no difference in trust between .com.au and .net.au to the average Joe. Some look for the .au ending but if you're really worried and on the ball you'll register the .com above all else.
My thoughts exactly Horshack!! - it makes no sense to rebuild a solid well performing 'WEBSITE' ..... surveys have shown that it is the position in SERP's combined with the appropriateness of the Meta Title to the search term that causes searchers to click. It is Google that attributes 'authority' to a website with a domain name relative to its content (very little these days and diminishing) and not the searchers - and you are right in this respect, if anything at all, Australian searchers may look for the 'AU' at the end of the url under the meta title if they really want to buy from an Australian vendor but other than that the url means little to them.
[but if you're really worried and on the ball you'll register the .com above all else] - I do have the .com versions of some of my sites where relevant - actually duplicate sites except for colour livery and some text - but even with a .com it is important to have .au site if selling products - both psychologically for the buyer as mentioned above and for rankings - Google will serve a local ccTLD ahead of a .com site in SERP's given that all else is equal.

cheers,
Mike

shags38

Top Contributor
Tim I'm not sure what you mean by a redirect. My understanding of a redirect is that it will redirect a 'page or pages' to another website, redirect a http:// site to a https:// site or redirect one website to another website, but not a website to another domain name that does not have a website associated with it as far as I'm aware, so in essence to redirect the .net.au website site to the .com.au domain would mean building a website associated with the .com.au domain ... or am I off beam here?

cheers,
Mike
and yes this thread has become far more interesting :cool:

harmonyball.net.au has in excess of 15k inbound links from over 60 domains (including a number of high authority sites) and over 400k internal links - a lot of work over a number of years to get it to where it is :)

shags38

Top Contributor
Just had second cup of coffee and brain kicked in .... it would be simple enough for me to make a full copy of the existing website - host the .com.au version .... upload the copy and make any minor text modifications (about page, policies pages etc - a few minutes work) .... place a redirect from .net.au and turn on the 'live' switch for .com.au ....... simples.

Now having said that I cannot see any benefit in doing so even though it can be easily done .... refer back to Horshack's post above - he says it all.

cheers,
Mike

Shane

Top Contributor
Just bite the bullet and move to the com.au.

Changing a domain isn't a big deal if you do it properly, and there are some great guides around to run through the process.

Just copy the whole site to the new domain, setup the new and old websites in Google Search Console, request a change of URL via Search Console and put in a 301 redirect from the old domain.

There are a few more steps and things to check, but that's essentially it. No more than a few hours work.

I've done it twice before with successful sites and suffered no long term ranking issues. There was a slight drop in the very short term, but everything was back to normal within a few weeks and the new domain took on all the rankings of the old.

Final step is to keep powering forward with the site knowing you now have the best domain for it! :D

shags38

Top Contributor
@Shane - yep realized that after my second cup of coffee :)
Have now made a vow not to post nor make any critical decisions (or ANY decisions) before my second cup :cool:

cheers,
Mike

snoopy

Top Contributor
Would suggest setting up Google analytics tracking on the .com.au (it is easy to do let me know if you need help), i.e. redirect to the .net.au but track the origin of sales. If you have some degree of repeat visitors and people navigating directly to do the domain it is pretty much guaranteed there will be some sales coming in via the .com.au. Personally I would do this before moving the site so you can see the confusion that would have been previously occurring.

Agree with what Shane is saying though about doing the move, obviously it would need a bit of research on the best way to do it without losing too much traffic.

shags38

Top Contributor
Would suggest setting up Google analytics tracking on the .com.au (it is easy to do let me know if you need help), i.e. redirect to the .net.au but track the origin of sales. If you have some degree of repeat visitors and people navigating directly to do the domain it is pretty much guaranteed there will be some sales coming in via the .com.au. Personally I would do this before moving the site so you can see the confusion that would have been previously occurring.

Agree with what Shane is saying though about doing the move, obviously it would need a bit of research on the best way to do it without losing too much traffic.
Thanks for that advice Snoops - I have been regularly analyzing sources of entries to this site (and all of my sites) for years via Google Analytics and there is very little 'direct' entry to this site by typing in the url in the browser, the numbers are very small. So well over 95% of entries are from search engines (hence the importance or ranking). The product is primarily purchased by someone, or for someone, who is pregnant and being high quality Sterling Silver the items are essentially a keepsake so little need for repeat purchases (this article will tell you more about the product if you are interested https://www.harmonyball.net.au/bene...y-ball-during-pregnancy-and-after-ezp-26.html).

So I'm not inclined to move the website to a new domain - I see no advantage whatsoever - after being alerted I purchased the .com.au version not to use, but to finalize a long running 'quest' - I once wanted it and couldn't have it, now I can have it and I will even though I do not need it (spoiled kid syndrome).

cheers,
Mike

snoopy

Top Contributor
So I'm not inclined to move the website to a new domain - I see no advantage whatsoever - after being alerted I purchased the .com.au version not to use, but to finalize a long running 'quest' - I once wanted it and couldn't have it, now I can have it and I will even though I do not need it (spoiled kid syndrome).

cheers,
Mike

Yes I get you Shags. The 95% is very high. Whilst the .com.au purchase may be to finalise a quest I would suggest setting up a redirect at least.

shags38

Top Contributor
Yes I get you Shags. The 95% is very high. Whilst the .com.au purchase may be to finalise a quest I would suggest setting up a redirect at least.
So Snoops, maybe I misunderstood you (likely), so are you suggesting redirecting the .co.au to the existing website on the off chance some customers will type in the .com.au url? ... if so then that is a good idea, will do it now .... must admit I hadn't really thought of that but then again I haven't had two versions of the same name before :)

many thanks,
Mike

findtim

Top Contributor
i think your question got answered but to say it again, if you run your own hosting park the .com.au under the .net.au whilst you get sorted, or use the 301 redirect via .htaccess file
this you should do today ! then have the 2 cups of coffee.
tim

shags38

Top Contributor
i think your question got answered
Yes and No Tim - the only definitive answer to the original question is that no-one has an answer to it (even Google forums didn't) :)
But as Con the Fruiterer always said ..'it doesn't matter' :p
I really enjoyed the interaction which helped me greatly.

so to all who participated in this thread ....... many thanks
cheers,
Mike

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics