What's new

Marketing.com.au

Luke

Top Contributor
I won bidding for proteinpowders.. will see if we snap it up or not.

That's a negatory.

I would use Drop if it actually loaded for me though. Maybe its because i have my date/clock set to a few years ago? To avoid paying for Windows 7..

Timmy

Banned
That's a negatory.

I would use Drop if it actually loaded for me though. Maybe its because i have my date/clock set to a few years ago? To avoid paying for Windows 7..

Just leech a newer version, plenty of activation hacks out these days... Not that I would ever pirate software - or taint myself with winblows.

snoopy

Top Contributor
When I watch opportunities like that go begging it makes me think if a few of us here on DN Trade had of thrown together a couple of grand each along with our depth of knowledge of online marketing we could have developed something substantial.

I doubt it, the name is too broad for domainers to be trying to build a business on it. Needs to be owned by a medium-large company.

Personally I think domainers getting together in groups to purchase names generally doesn't end well, too many cooks. Cowboys.com is a good example. I've co owned one domain myself years ago, only a very small name but it was a headache. For the sake of a couple of thousand investment (with a name like marketing.com.au) you've multiple parties needing to agree on decisions, revenue needing to be split, sharing of expenses etc.

Regarding the auction and lower than expected bidding I guess when you look at say hardware.com.au is was probably one or more enduser who were interested that pushed it, maybe marketing.com.au didn't have that today.

paz

Haha, I was kidding techmo. :p

Yeah, 13 hey, I thought it would go for more though.

I won bidding for proteinpowders.. will see if we snap it up or not.

Lucky i was too busy at work I was going to go higher :)

payattention

Archived Member
Powders doesn't make any sense whatsoever, I've never heard anyone refer to it as protein powders. Search vol reflects thats as well.

James

Top Contributor
I doubt it, the name is too broad for domainers to be trying to build a business on it. Needs to be owned by a medium-large company.

I agree, I do not think this domain was something domains can make money off in the short term you would really need to develop a strategy behind it, I had a few ideas but decided not to bid.

Domains like electricity, vitamins, forex in .com.au are far better buys I feel.

Also people commented that marketing magazine would buy it and pay 100k, I highly doubt that, the magazine is not that big it is niche circulation is low for that magazine I know because we get them at work for free I work in an Advertising Agency.

All these been said the domain is still a good buy, I am sure in a few years it will be worth a lot more.

paz

Powders doesn't make any sense whatsoever, I've never heard anyone refer to it as protein powders. Search vol reflects thats as well.

I'm not so convinced that a plural puts you at much of a disadvantage at all. Despite the fact that Google separates them in terms of giving search volume figures - they are grouped in actual searches.

Search for "protein powders" - any instance in the SERPs of the keyword in singular version "protein powder" is still bolded. Google knows that these are the same thing.

A store selling multiple types of protein powder would indeed be selling protein powders

In saying that I would pay more for proteinpowder.com.au than proteinpowders.com.au but saying it makes no sense "whatsoever" is a little bit closed minded.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I'm not so convinced that a plural puts you at much of a disadvantage at all. Despite the fact that Google separates them in terms of giving search volume figures - they are grouped in actual searches.

Search for "protein powders" - any instance in the SERPs of the keyword in singular version "protein powder" is still bolded. Google knows that these are the same thing.

A store selling multiple types of protein powder would indeed be selling protein powders

In saying that I would pay more for proteinpowder.com.au than proteinpowders.com.au but saying it makes no sense "whatsoever" is a little bit closed minded.

Proteinpowerder.com.au is a lot more logical in my view and it shows in the search stats (7.5 fold difference), the normal plural of powder is powder. Powders is still technically correct but I think it is easily going to be confused with the "non s" version.

payattention

Archived Member
Like snoopy said, plural of powder is powder. The only people I know who would call it powders live in Lakemba and go to Pizza Hutts bro :)

paz

Like snoopy said, plural of powder is powder. The only people I know who would call it powders live in Lakemba and go to Pizza Hutts bro :)

And Autobarns! I think they even had the fat pizza guy in their tv ad calling it autobarns!

The plural of powder is powders.

Would you ever ask someone "How many different protein powder do you have (bros)?"

The fact that it is not searched the most was not the point of my post. The point was I dont think it matters too much. My theory is that google treats it the same (or at least very little bias to the non plural) in SERPs despite showing different search volumes.

We are getting off topic I may start a new thread about plurals in domains later tonight and see what other people have exeperienced?

snoopy

Top Contributor
And Autobarns! I think they even had the fat pizza guy in their tv ad calling it autobarns!

The plural of powder is powders.

Would you ever ask someone "How many different protein powder do you have (bros)?"

The fact that it is not searched the most was not the point of my post. The point was I dont think it matters too much. My theory is that google treats it the same (or at least very little bias to the non plural) in SERPs despite showing different search volumes.

We are getting off topic I may start a new thread about plurals in domains later tonight and see what other people have exeperienced?

Both "powder" and "powders" are correct, depend on the circumstances,

Customer: I'm looking for the washing powder section
Shop assistant: Oh yes, the section where they only sell one?

[goes to next aisle]

Customer: I've got my washing powders, now I'm looking to buy food
Shop assistant: Oh right only one item of food, because if you wanted more than one you'd be after "foods".

[in the bakery section]

Customer: I'll take 3 loaves
Shop assistant: Here is your breads sir!

Waters/waters another good one. Most people would only use "waters" to talk about numerous brands of different bottled water. Rather than describing large quantities of water as "waters".

Anyway it is an interesting subject, worth having its own thread I think to perhaps put some definitions into exactly how particular terms are used and why.

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter is correct though, just matters what is popular.

Last edited:

GerBot

well done Drop - and Christopher!

I was gone at $3003 because i just couldn't see how I was going to make any money out of the domain directly. I was all about the resale which I hate waiting for.

techmo

Top Contributor
Great to see come competition and Drop getting in the heat of the big-name chases.

And of course congrats Christopher for the catch :)

The only people I know who would call it powders live in Lakemba and go to Pizza Hutts bro :)

Bro check out my proteins!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member