What's new

Looking for hosting

johno69

Top Contributor
Hi Guys,
Who is everyone using for hosting these days?
I have been with my current provider for 6 years now and have been pretty happy as it just works.
The problem i'm having is they no longer answer phones, no longer reply to emails, and never reply to tickets.
Pretty worrying to me really.

So i'm on the lookout for something better. Have had a few clients who tried Ventra and the sites are always pretty slow there so wouldn't mind a better option.

Looking for happy customer feedback and recommendations please.

findtim

Top Contributor
you know my answer ! hostgator !
they just have great service with their online chat and the wait time has come back down to @ 10-15mins
i forgot to pay an ssl bill this week and they PUSHED it through and i woke up in the morning with everything working
if i have a problem with them its generally my fault not theirs and fixed quick.
on the other hand i have found ventraip having better service recently and domainshield for higher end clients
crazyD are a great source of clients disgruntled by their hosting service .

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
i stuffed up this morning with SSL renewal for a client and contacted hostG, what i thought would take 24hours took 3hrs, certainly got myself off the hook with the client.
having said that one of their faults which i have been telling them for years is they outsource everything to
Code:
comodo
so you DO NOT get a renewal notice, not from hostG or COMO , so i setup a renewal reminded at
Code:
https://www.sslshopper.com
a few months ago and i didn't get one !!!!!!
the other thing is if you pay your ssl renewal early you loose those days/weeks/month where i think you should be able to pay and it stays the same date each year.
tim

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
I didn't have great experiences with GoDaddy hosting (a virtual server hosting plan).

All my hosting is with VentraIP now, overall they've been excellent.

well, I tried VentraIP few years ago and was OK but after the first year through a promo its renewal cost was quite expensive so I tried GoDaddy and despite they raised their fees too especially atfer their IPO, I have been quite happy with my needs.

They only left me down 1 day in 3 years, which was the day Anonymous targeted them and as apology they gave me a free credit corresponding to 1 month of hosting.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
well, I tried VentraIP few years ago and was OK but after the first year through a promo its renewal cost was quite expensive so I tried GoDaddy and despite they raised their fees too especially atfer their IPO, I have been quite happy with my needs.

They only left me down 1 day in 3 years, which was the day Anonymous targeted them and as apology they gave me a free credit corresponding to 1 month of hosting.
Well I'm glad to hear that you've had a better experience :)
Personally, I'll not be going back to GoDaddy hosting.

findtim

Top Contributor
if you want budget hosting try zuver
thats seems to be an incredibly good price !
Code:
https://zuver.net.au/web-hosting
i think i'll be setting up an account tomorrow and check it our.

asantha, have you had any experience with a website "spiking" , eg: going from 100 visits a day to 5000 and then back to 100 ?
does it shut down?

tim

Hi Guys,
Who is everyone using for hosting these days?
I have been with my current provider for 6 years now and have been pretty happy as it just works.
The problem i'm having is they no longer answer phones, no longer reply to emails, and never reply to tickets.
Pretty worrying to me really.

So i'm on the lookout for something better. Have had a few clients who tried Ventra and the sites are always pretty slow there so wouldn't mind a better option.

Looking for happy customer feedback and recommendations please.

It depends on what you are looking to host, general Cpanel hosting should be Australian based I wouldnt waste your time with US servers like Hostgator/Godaddy etc (i have used them in the past and the latency is a killer) - all of the suggestions made by Joel above are great. I use Ventra/Synergy, I havent noticed an issue with performance, I have been happy with their service. I also happen to have my own server at NextDC M1, so I also have my own Cpanel hosting running on that server.

For my mission critical sites, for example our main company website I use AWS (Amazon Web Services). It isn't cheap but it is easy to manage, you can select the type of disks you want to use etc etc, and best of all very fast cloud servers.

johno69

Top Contributor
I've gone with VPSBlocks for a VPS, but so far there's been a lot of up and down that has been quite frustrating.

Ashman

Top Contributor
I use Ventra/Synergy, I havent noticed an issue with performance, I have been happy with their service. I also happen to have my own server at NextDC M1, so I also have my own Cpanel hosting running on that server.
For my mission critical sites, for example our main company website I use AWS (Amazon Web Services). It isn't cheap but it is easy to manage, you can select the type of disks you want to use etc etc, and best of all very fast cloud servers.

I have been looking at changing my hosting and was wondering why you use AWS over your own server at NextDC?

I have been looking at changing my hosting and was wondering why you use AWS over your own server at NextDC?
Ashman, unfortunately my server is in a third party providers rack who runs their own network at NextDC M1, they are great guys but their network isn't optimal so I have minor through put performance issues at times - having said that I am happy to run a heap of my stuff on my own server particularly things that are resource intensive (which would be very expensive on AWS - as my server has 2 x Quad Core Processors and 96GB of Ram - I can throw anything at this server and it performs nicely)

AWS is enterprise grade and is awesome if you have something that is mission critical and may need to be scaled up in terms of resources then go with AWS - AWS also has a great easy to use firewall control panel

atom

Administrator
Another provider that has served many well for years is Quadrahosting.com.au. Although I have to say I get the feeling their standards may be slipping a bit in terms of uptime and CS. Overall I'm still happy enough with them to have a few sites there.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member