1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for hosting

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by johno69, May 13, 2015.

1. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hi Guys,
    Who is everyone using for hosting these days?
    I have been with my current provider for 6 years now and have been pretty happy as it just works.
    The problem i'm having is they no longer answer phones, no longer reply to emails, and never reply to tickets.
    Pretty worrying to me really.

So i'm on the lookout for something better. Have had a few clients who tried Ventra and the sites are always pretty slow there so wouldn't mind a better option.

Looking for happy customer feedback and recommendations please.

2. Joel

Joel Membership: Community

Try Crucial, NetLogistics, Micron21 or xHost.

Rhythm and johno69 like this.
  3. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    you know my answer ! hostgator !
    they just have great service with their online chat and the wait time has come back down to @ 10-15mins
    i forgot to pay an ssl bill this week and they PUSHED it through and i woke up in the morning with everything working
    if i have a problem with them its generally my fault not theirs and fixed quick.
    on the other hand i have found ventraip having better service recently and domainshield for higher end clients
    crazyD are a great source of clients disgruntled by their hosting service .

tim

4. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

sent you a pm

5. zhenjie

zhenjie Membership: VIP

Ventra/Synergy, Micron, Crucial and cheap stuff on Vultr

6. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i stuffed up this morning with SSL renewal for a client and contacted hostG, what i thought would take 24hours took 3hrs, certainly got myself off the hook with the client.
    having said that one of their faults which i have been telling them for years is they outsource everything to
    Code:
    comodo
    so you DO NOT get a renewal notice, not from hostG or COMO , so i setup a renewal reminded at
    Code:
    https://www.sslshopper.com
    a few months ago and i didn't get one !!!!!!
    the other thing is if you pay your ssl renewal early you loose those days/weeks/month where i think you should be able to pay and it stays the same date each year.
    tim

7. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Membership: VIP

GoDaddy if you don't mind US servers.

8. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

VentraIp for me, seems reliable

9. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I didn't have great experiences with GoDaddy hosting (a virtual server hosting plan).
    All my hosting is with VentraIP now, overall they've been excellent.

DnEbook likes this.
  10. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Membership: VIP

well, I tried VentraIP few years ago and was OK but after the first year through a promo its renewal cost was quite expensive so I tried GoDaddy and despite they raised their fees too especially atfer their IPO, I have been quite happy with my needs.

They only left me down 1 day in 3 years, which was the day Anonymous targeted them and as apology they gave me a free credit corresponding to 1 month of hosting.

11. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Well I'm glad to hear that you've had a better experience :)
    Personally, I'll not be going back to GoDaddy hosting.

12. asantha

asantha Membership: Community

Noooooo Godaddy

if you want budget hosting try zuver

eBranding.com.au likes this.
  13. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    thats seems to be an incredibly good price !
    Code:
    https://zuver.net.au/web-hosting
    i think i'll be setting up an account tomorrow and check it our.

asantha, have you had any experience with a website "spiking" , eg: going from 100 visits a day to 5000 and then back to 100 ?
    does it shut down?

tim

14. Cooper Mills DomainLawyer

Cooper Mills DomainLawyer Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It depends on what you are looking to host, general Cpanel hosting should be Australian based I wouldnt waste your time with US servers like Hostgator/Godaddy etc (i have used them in the past and the latency is a killer) - all of the suggestions made by Joel above are great. I use Ventra/Synergy, I havent noticed an issue with performance, I have been happy with their service. I also happen to have my own server at NextDC M1, so I also have my own Cpanel hosting running on that server.

For my mission critical sites, for example our main company website I use AWS (Amazon Web Services). It isn't cheap but it is easy to manage, you can select the type of disks you want to use etc etc, and best of all very fast cloud servers.

15. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I've gone with VPSBlocks for a VPS, but so far there's been a lot of up and down that has been quite frustrating.

16. Ashman

Ashman Membership: Trader

I have been looking at changing my hosting and was wondering why you use AWS over your own server at NextDC?

17. Joel

Joel Membership: Community

A single cPanel server is not in the same league as AWS.

18. Cooper Mills DomainLawyer

Cooper Mills DomainLawyer Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Ashman, unfortunately my server is in a third party providers rack who runs their own network at NextDC M1, they are great guys but their network isn't optimal so I have minor through put performance issues at times - having said that I am happy to run a heap of my stuff on my own server particularly things that are resource intensive (which would be very expensive on AWS - as my server has 2 x Quad Core Processors and 96GB of Ram - I can throw anything at this server and it performs nicely)

AWS is enterprise grade and is awesome if you have something that is mission critical and may need to be scaled up in terms of resources then go with AWS - AWS also has a great easy to use firewall control panel

19. atom

atom Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Another provider that has served many well for years is Quadrahosting.com.au. Although I have to say I get the feeling their standards may be slipping a bit in terms of uptime and CS. Overall I'm still happy enough with them to have a few sites there.