What's new

just sell it

findtim

Top Contributor
i have a few domains i really can't see myself developing for a few more years yet and i got an inquiry from fabulous today offering $100
many people wouldn't reply but i always do, so i do some research and then phone the guy.

mate, mate, mate yadda yadda.
its worth more then he is willing to pay but i look at it and ask myself "how many offers have i had so far? none" " how many renewals before i do anything with it? 2 " ohh stuff it
so we settled on his top price of $500 +gst + COR, i started at 2k

its a GREAT domain for him but that shouldn't be my reason to ask for more IMO.
i'm happy , he's happy
tim

topflight

i have a few domains i really can't see myself developing for a few more years yet and i got an inquiry from fabulous today offering $100
many people wouldn't reply but i always do, so i do some research and then phone the guy.

mate, mate, mate yadda yadda.
its worth more then he is willing to pay but i look at it and ask myself "how many offers have i had so far? none" " how many renewals before i do anything with it? 2 " ohh stuff it
so we settled on his top price of $500 +gst + COR, i started at 2k

its a GREAT domain for him but that shouldn't be my reason to ask for more IMO.
i'm happy , he's happy
tim
Good result - something for me to learn from this.

findtim

Top Contributor
LOL, the sale is all good but now he owns it he's decided to slip a few details AKA he told me many lies !
no big deal but here' some of them,
oohhh, by the way, i know him through good business dealings 12 years ago, so there's history.

he said he was helping someone out whos husband had died, whilst true it later became apparent his definition of help was he bought the business for a song and wanted my domain.

he was interested in talking about development of the current site he had, whilst true, his "partner" had already organised that without his knowledge ( yeh right ! )

they are just going to have it as they have the .com and park it on the .com , whilst semi true they are going to build it out to its own website.

frankly i'm fine, i just thought i'd detail them so you can see even someone that you think is telling you the truth based on PAST dealings may not be, also you really shouldn't care that they build a skyscraper from something you had as a vacant block of land, its the effort they are going to put in that increases its value but not your value.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think with this if someone is regularly selling domains for $500 the chance of making a profit is low, the holding costs will just eat all of that away once it scales up to a larger portfolio. You'd need over a 2% sell through rate to break even. So to make even a modest profit we are talking a 4% sales rate which is very unlikely in my view.

For the names where the owner thinks they could only be sold for $500 those names may be better off dropped.

snoopy

Top Contributor
frankly i'm fine, i just thought i'd detail them so you can see even someone that you think is telling you the truth based on PAST dealings may not be,

Don't think many people are honest when it comes to domain sales, that is true for both buyers and sellers. The buyer pretends the domain is hardly worth anything and they are a non profit. The sellers pretends the name has had a lot of prior interest and will have a massive impact on anyone who buys it. That is life.

findtim

Top Contributor
snoopy i agree with your numbers.
i honestly can't remember what i paid as i don't normally sell so strict recording isn't my top of mind.
i think maybe @$100, then i haven't had it long so only 1 renewal $20.

+ my need to live doesn't come from it so $500 is a "get out" , so for me TODAY a profit of $1 is a profit as i have far better projects on my present schedule and getting rid of these domains i s good for it.

i'd like to head right down to @ 5 domains now, actually I'D LOVE to be there.
having said that i think i have taken the typical path of most, own 1 , buy, then buy buy buy, then renew renew renew, then sell sell sell. unfortunately some don't come out the otherside of the tunnell and it ends up in drop drop drop drop............

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members