What's new

jeweler (.net.au)

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Wrong spelling, $0.

Thanks Snoopy.

Both 'Jeweler' and 'Jeweller' are valid spellings, though as I think you're suggesting, in Australia 'Jeweller' is the spelling that is most often used. I say 'most often', because some people in Australia still use 'jeweler' (which is the more common spelling globally).

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thanks Snoopy.

Both 'Jeweler' and 'Jeweller' are valid spellings, though as I think you're suggesting, in Australia 'Jeweller' is the spelling that is most often used. I say 'most often', because some people in Australia still use 'jeweler' (which is the more common spelling globally).

Jeweler isn't correct for the Australian market, jeweller is. The name is essentially a typo for this market.

jhellyer

Top Contributor
No matter how much you believe it is a great domain, sometimes you have to pull your head in and realise you have reg'd a dud...has happened to me plenty of times on here..... :)

shags38

Top Contributor
as someone who has 2 "live" jewellery sites and some 28 other jewellery domains, some with jewelry spelling, I would develop Jeweler.net.au if I owned it, talking of which I can beat Snoopy's appraisal if interested Demon.

Snoops - yes, incorrect spelling for Gen A, B, C and Baby Boomers (me) - not for Gen X & Y - see Google Insights for growth - like many other Americanized spelling names that have now become the norm in this country, and even the home of the Queenz Engrish (color, program etc.) , the word jewelry, a derivative of jeweler, is becoming more prominent by the year - it is just a matter of how long you want to wait for the spelling changeover to occur :)

snoopy

Top Contributor
talking of which I can beat Snoopy's appraisal if interested Demon.

What is your offer?

Snoops - yes, incorrect spelling for Gen A, B, C and Baby Boomers (me) - not for Gen X & Y - see Google Insights for growth - like many other Americanized spelling names that have now become the norm in this country, and even the home of the Queenz Engrish (color, program etc.) , the word jewelry, a derivative of jeweler, is becoming more prominent by the year - it is just a matter of how long you want to wait for the spelling changeover to occur :)

This spelling isn't "the norm" for any generation apart from those who cannot spell. Show me an example of a single business in Australia which has a name that incorporates "jeweler" into their name? Business name, domain name, anything?

joe

Top Contributor
This spelling isn't "the norm" for any generation apart from those who cannot spell. Show me an example of a single business in Australia which has a name that incorporates "jeweler" into their name? Business name, domain name, anything?

Just did a quick ASIC lookup and was a bit surprised the see 17 listings for 'jeweler' as opposed to only 5 for 'jeweller'. Most are removed/deregged but looks like there's a least a handful of 'jewelers' out there.

On the other hand, I got 299 TM results on IP Australia search for 'jeweller' as opposed to just 3 for 'jeweler'.

I'd agree that jeweller is the preferred spelling for Au but would develop it anyway.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Just did a quick ASIC lookup and was a bit surprised the see 17 listings for 'jeweler' as opposed to only 5 for 'jeweller'. Most are removed/deregged but looks like there's a least a handful of 'jewelers' out there.

Note this for jeweller,

"Search Stopped - Cannot continue with a single Common word"

shags38

Top Contributor
What is your offer?
More than reg cost as a start, however I will leave negotiations between me and the vendor if that is OK :) The name could fit nicely into my jewellery / jewelry sites portfolio.

Do a Whois for JewelryStoreOnline.com.au ..... you may find that I own that hand regged domain (amongst others with jewelry in the name) - so there is 1 for a start.

Jeweler is not an incorrect spelling of jeweller, they are two different spellings listed in dictionaries, both British and American.

Snoops - please re-read. I didn't say it was the norm but more so fast becoming a common spelling amongst younger generations.

Snoops - leaving pedantics to one side, there are not many domains that use the noun jeweller, aside from ".......jeweller" being a company name used as a domain and in most cases it is the plural, jewellerS. Moreover the adjective, being the description of the product(s) made or supplied by the noun that is the most commonly used word contained in both domain names and indeed in meta description .... aka jewellery with alternative spellings accepted by google for that word being jewellry and jewelery, all of which are derivatives of the word jeweller. A Keyword report for a site whose prime keyword is jewellery will show the word jeweller then in brackets (jewellery, jeweller) as derivatives - so it seems Google reverts back to the noun, at least in this case.

So given that the adjective which describes the products which are the main reason for the search (far less search for jeweller or jeweler for "services" than product), jewellery is the most common word used and jewelry is the second most common word of this type used. I in fact regged some domains using the spelling jewelry specifically to target that section of the market that apparently cannot spell (about 30% on average of all searchers for jewellery items).

et domine et spiritu sanctu domine ............... there endeth todays reading

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
More than reg cost as a start, however I will leave negotiations between me and the vendor if that is OK :) The name could fit nicely into my jewellery / jewelry sites portfolio.

So the buyer is going to get more than reg fee, that sounds promising. Let us know when a transaction has taken place.

Jeweler is not an incorrect spelling of jeweller, they are two different spellings listed in dictionaries, both British and American.

Shags, that is nonsense. The correct American spelling is jeweler and the correct British spelling is jeweller.

shags38

Top Contributor
Shags, that is nonsense. The correct American spelling is jeweler and the correct British spelling is jeweller.

Snoops - visit OPSM.com.au - they should be able to fix your shortsightedness :D

Try this for Nonsese

Search Results: Local, exact Jeweller 720 Jeweler 260 = total 980 = 26% of people searching for Jeweller in this country search for Jeweler = 1 in 4 = hardly insignificant for an American spelling in Australia.

Search Results: Local, exact Jewellery 14,800 Jewelry 5,400 = total 20,200 = 27% of people searching for Jewellery in this country search for Jewelry = 1 in 4 = hardly insignificant for an American spelling in Australia

= American influence on the language = X and Y generations in particular = when A, B, C, Baby Boomers and the rest (including aliens) are dead and buried Jeweler / Jewelry will in all likelihood be equal to or higher search volumes than the other. Add in immigrants from all over the world who learn or have learned their "English" on the internet and wallah.

Jeweler.net.au is worth more than $0

Now that I have expounded on the value of the name I will be charging you for the difference I was prepared to pay for the name prior to this post versus what the vendor now wants :D

cheers,
Mike

p.s. except for the "nonsense" bit the rest is right however it really doesn't count - we stopped being influenced by the British in 1945 after the Yanks saved us and Churchill left us to our own devices earlier than that :) - ask anyone under the age of 35 what the British Empire is, or was. What default are most computers in the world set to - English, American - how many people change the default?

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
Snoops - visit OPSM.com.au - they should be able to fix your shortsightedness :D

Try this for Nonsese

Search Results: Local, exact Jeweller 720 Jeweler 260 = total 980 = 26% of people searching for Jeweller in this country search for Jeweler = 1 in 4 = hardly insignificant for an American spelling in Australia.

Search Results: Local, exact Jewellery 14,800 Jewelery 5,400 = total 20,200 = 27% of people searching for Jewellery in this country search for Jewelery = 1 in 4 = hardly insignificant for an American spelling in Australia

= American influence on the language = X and Y generations in particular = when A, B, C, Baby Boomers and the rest (including aliens) are dead and buried Jeweler / Jewelery will in all likelihood be equal to or higher search volumes than the other. Add in immigrants from all over the world who learn or have learned their "English" on the internet and wallah.

Jeweler.net.au is worth more than $0

Now that I have expounded on the value of the name I will be charging you for the difference I was prepared to pay for the name prior to this post versus what the vendor now wants :D

cheers,
Mike

Shags this is what you said,

"Jeweler is not an incorrect spelling of jeweller, they are two different spellings listed in dictionaries, both British and American."

There is an American spelling and and English spelling and for Australia the American spelling is not correct. Some people misspell it but that does not mean businesses will brand with it or pay for this name.

As we have seen the number of businesses using the American spelling here is a handful, including you it seems who is talking about paying "more than reg fee".

Should Joe break out the bubbly since he has obvious found the perfect enduser for this domain (you), perhaps a glass of Spumante 2011? Or should he wait until the cash is in the bank? Personally I'd be waiting.

shags38

Top Contributor
Snoops - I can't afford to pay for the domain in hard currency - thought I'd swap a few of my 3D domains for it - what do you reckon ? It will have to be Maison - I'm on the wagon :)

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I can see that my post has stirred up a pretty vigorous debate!

Thanks to those that have responded with their feedback on jewelery.net.au

My research suggests that it's certainly worth a lot more than snoopy's appraisal, but I appreciate your feedback snoop ;)

shags38, if you would like to make an offer on the domain you are welcome to send me a pm and we can negotiate from there.

I'm going to post another of my .net.au domains, more than anything just to see snoop's reaction :D

So keep an eye on the Domain Appraisals Forum.

Cheers

Demonoid

shags38

Top Contributor
shags38, if you would like to make an offer on the domain you are welcome to send me a pm and we can negotiate from there.
My offer is Snoopys offer +1 which is like Google +1 but more valuable.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
My offer is Snoopys offer +1 which is like Google +1 but more valuable.

As tempting as your $1 offer may be shags38, I think I'll just keep the domain ;)

I'll throw a quick minisite on it when I've got a spare hour and see how it goes. I'll report back on this thread in a few months. I'm not expecting amazing results, but given it was a hand reg I'm not too fussed.

shags38

Top Contributor
As tempting as your $1 offer may be shags38, I think I'll just keep the domain ;)

I'll throw a quick minisite on it when I've got a spare hour and see how it goes. I'll report back on this thread in a few months. I'm not expecting amazing results, but given it was a hand reg I'm not too fussed.

Good luck mate - at current 260 directs you may need it :D - if you get tired of maintaining it I can alleviate the ardousness of such a task by accepting the 301 re-direct to one of my jewellery sites :rolleyes:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo