What's new

How to work out a price?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so please be gentle :(

I have been approached by phone by a young guy from Holland who wants to purchase a .com that I have owned but not used for many years. The reason I registered it in the first place was to protect my .com.au website as my site deals mostly with schools and students, and did not want any accidental nasty links ending up anywhere near my products name or website.

I'm sure I can now protect against this now, but am absolutely stumped as to what sort of price to give him as a first reciprocal offer.

He and his 3 other companions are setting up a brand name and mine is it. But then their first offer is for $200 for the .com and my Facebook equivalent. They have been told to forget the FB one as that is working to well for me, and that I felt their first offer was basically a joke and hardly covered registration fees I have paid until 2018, let alone what I assume it will cost to transfer to them.

He has come back and asked what my starting price would be, and this is where I'm at at the moment. I don't want to just give it away!

Can I please ask how I work out a price for my domain :confused:

Cheers
Geoff

DavidL

Top Contributor
Yeah the guys on here could give you some decent advice but without knowing the name it's going to be tricky.

Or you could spend a few weeks and learn all about domains valuations metrics, previous sales, market trends etc and you might work out an idea yourself.

I'd suggest the former though!

snoopy

Top Contributor
Personally I wouldn't delay it as buyers often move on quite quickly (wouldn't take more than a couple of days to get a price).

Thanks guys!

I have no problems posting it up...personalitee.com... but can't work out what use this would be to a valuation where the guy who wants to buy it already knows what his registered business name is and is desperate to get the matching .com? I am not asking whether cars.com would be worth selling or anything like that, just my own private .com that I first registered for my own business 11 or 12 years ago.

By the way, it is just a smallish business that has run for 26 years here in Oz, and is only a play on Personaity and the fact we do personalised tee shirt printing.

As I said I don't want to just give it away, especially when he has initiated the discussions by tracking down my phone number and ringing me personally, but at the same time I am not a greedy person.

Cheers

Shane

Top Contributor
As a name on its own it's probably worth very little, but if the guy wants it badly enough it could be worth anything.

I mean, look at dudu.com selling for a million bucks. The name isn't worth that much, but it was to the buyer and that's what matters.

I'd go back with something like $10,000 and see what happens. Maybe more...? I'm not saying to expect that much, but it will help to see how serious he is.

If you're not that interested in selling the name then you have nothing to lose by setting a big price.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Yeah, it doesn't have real inherent value but that doesn't mean you shouldn't expect a decent amount for it. Some people would tut tut about domainers profiteering etc but here's the land equivalent:

You buy a block of land 100 years ago (assuming 1 year online = 10 years offline sort of thing!)
Even now it's a fairly average block, pretty much undeveloped
But then someone approaches you and wants to buy that very block of land for whatever reason as it's perfect for their business.

Now would a landowner be expected to say, sure, I wasn't using it very much, it's probably not worth much to many other people so here you go - have it for next to nothing?

Wow! Wouldn't I love to get $10k for it :eek: but I am a realist :(

I've just offered it to him for $1.25k to $1.5k to see if he's serious, and would be happy around that price. As I said, I'm not a greedy person, but if he comes back with too low an offer this time, I reckon I'll just keep it, seeing as I had no reason to sell it anyway :)

This site is great!!

Cheers

acheeva

Top Contributor

I've just offered it to him for $1.25k to $1.5k to see if he's serious, and would be happy around that price. As I said, I'm not a greedy person, but if he comes back with too low an offer this time, I reckon I'll just keep it, seeing as I had no reason to sell it anyway :)

This site is great!!

Cheers

Great attitude@!

snoopy

Top Contributor

This site is great!!

Cheers

I think this is a sensible way to approach it.

Pricing this over 10k would be a very bad move in my view.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member