What's new

How to Value a .AU Domain Name

OzNick

It seems as though a few ambitious .au domainers are asking what a lot of people say, is too much for our domain names.

So, how do you really know what price to put on your Domain Name? More importantly, How do you attract the right buyer?

As this part of our industry is new, there are no real guidlines. We're just happy to flood the market with domain name prices from as low as $0.99 to as high as $1,000,000.00 and probably more.

I'd be happy to sell mine for a cool million, but will that really happen? It's anyones guess.

How do we value our .com.au Domain Names correctly? Any ideas?

stoscano

I think its too early days yet to be able to correctly value our .com.au domain names.
I think that by late next year there should be a strong marketplace for .com.au's and we should see some nice prices coming through.

soj

Founder
I agree that it will take a few years for the marketplace to find its sweet spot in pricing, and there will be sellers that will be offering their domains for way more than they are worth, but there will also be sellers offering their domains for under what you think they are worth. So there may be a few bargains out there to pickup as well as a few rip offs.

soj

Founder
What's a bargain and what's a rip off?

The debate may go on for years!

I would have to say each to their own on whats a bargain and whats a rip off, it really depends on what you want out of the domain. Resellers want to just flip the domain for a profit so want to pay the smallest amount possible for the biggest margins. Though an end user would be willing to pay that extra money to secure the domain away from their competitors and monetise it quite well.

Wade

It depends who the domain appeals to, domainers are looking for ROI, the name must have traffic and income.

End users might pay a premium if it accurately describes their business or industry.

Other than the very obvious super premium .au names, like jobs, cars, loans, etc dont expect to see many 6 or 7 figure sales. Most .au names are going to be sold for $XXX and some premium names with traffic will go for $XXXX - $XXXXX

So far almost all of the .au names advertised could be classed as a rip off, at least for domainers.

The other problem is local end users are not familiar with domain values, I'm approached daily by end users wanting to buy names, a lot of the names are low value with $XXX prices, you'd be surprised at how shocked and disgusted some end users are even at these price points. There is a long way to go before $XXXX+ becomes the norm for .au names.

Keep in mind as well, there are still a lot of great .au names available for reg fee, when the supply dries up thats when the prices will start to move upwards. Keyword based domains will struggle to achieve high prices if similar names can be had for reg fee.

2 letter, 3 letter, one word generics with traffic, two word generics with traffic/revenue and in quality categories, and geo's are where you'll see some interesting sale prices. Everything else in between is just not rare enough...

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member