What's new

How popular are the .net.au domain names

nt81

Top Contributor

Much nicer embedded, not having to click a link every time, just saying... ;)

snoopy

Top Contributor
Agree in part Snoopy but it all depends on the business model and who your competition is. For important sites I try to reg the .com.au and support/defensive domains such as .net.au. For lesser sites, I wouldn't bother with the .net.au.

If it's a potentially valuable site and I have competition with much deeper pockets then $20 is a good investment.

Can you give an example where someone has developed a site on a .com.au then someone with "deep pockets" has come along, built a site on the .net.au and taken business from the .com.au site?

The .net.au is likely to be a cheapskate and the chance of them taking business rather than losing business to the .com.au is remote.

I've been 'beaten up' by a [keyword].org on an Aussie geo before and I've done the beating up with a .net.au against some very deep pockets. Horses for courses.

If you've been "beaten up" by a keyword .org whilst you are on a .au how is anyone going to prevent that? Register something in hundreds of tlds just in the hope that the only reason future competition would do well is because on the keyword in their domain?

I think the key thing here those is nobody is being "beaten up" by a "domain", they are being beaten by someone whose overall strategy is better. Registering a .net.au isn't insurance against anybody.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I have seen many small businesses using a .net.au and they seem to be happy enough. They do not look at it like domainers, they just want something on their business card to direct perspective customers to their wordpress site that lists their services/rates. Seems to work just fine and it is better than facebook in this instance.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I have seen many small businesses using a .net.au and they seem to be happy enough. They do not look at it like domainers, they just want something on their business card to direct perspective customers to their wordpress site that lists their services/rates. Seems to work just fine and it is better than facebook in this instance.

I may not be a big fan of .net.au, but I agree that it's better than relying on a Facebook page alone.

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
Can you give an example where someone has developed a site on a .com.au then someone with "deep pockets" has come along, built a site on the .net.au and taken business from the .com.au site?

I've done that before and ranked #1 on Google for a popular single keyword term with a .net.au domain. :D

snoopy

Top Contributor
Can't accept it at face value snoopy? Gotta have proof!

Geez :)

Well this what I stated,

"Can you give an example where someone has developed a site on a .com.au then someone with "deep pockets" has come along, built a site on the .net.au and taken business from the .com.au site?"

Can anyone actually giving an example of that?

I've done that before doesn't really answer that question.

nt81

Top Contributor
There was a hint, just a hint of sarcasm in my reply.

Do you need a holiday at all? I could suggest a kahuna massage as well.

geodomains

Top Contributor
Can anyone actually giving an example of that?

I've done that before doesn't really answer that question.
Type in Phillip Island on Google au and the net.au out ranks the com.au

Plenty of examples if you look on Google Snoopy.

It's all about who owns the domain and how they operate, doesn't mater if it's net.au or com.au.

Don

findtim

Top Contributor

It's all about who owns the domain and how they operate, doesn't mater if it's net.au or com.au.

Don

i get neither ? and there is no caching as i haven't ever typed that in.

tim in Melbourne !

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
i get neither ? and there is no caching as i haven't ever typed that in.

tim in Melbourne !

They didn't appear on the first page for me (using either google.com.au or unpersonalised google.com). visitphillipisland.com took first ranking.

They were on the second and third pages. The .net.au does outrank the .com.au, but not by many (and neither have great ranking).

snoopy

Top Contributor

Don

The question I'm asking though is not "has a .net.au ever outranked a .com.au". Any extension could outrank a .com.au. It could be done with a .cc or a .info or a .horse or any one of 200 extensions.

The question is about someone with a lot of money coming along, building out a .net.au and taking business from the .com.au.

This is cyberclick's comment that is being discussed

cyberclick said:
If it's a potentially valuable site and I have competition with much deeper pockets then $20 is a good investment.

This kind of thing just isn't worth worrying about. People with deep pockets usually don't develop .net.au's, and even if they did registering a .net.au name is not going to stop someone competing, because they could compete with any one of hundreds of other extensions. Most competitors though would just choose a different keyword if the .com.au were taken.

geodomains

Top Contributor

Sorry meant to say on page 2 and 3, the net.au use to be #1 for years.

Point is, doesn't matter what extention you have, it's how much effort you put into ranking.

We had lifeinsurance.net.au #1 for about 1 year against some big companies with big budgets.

I don't have many .net.au domains, only because I was lucky to get the com.au domains early.

I still think a net.au can rank in the right hands, just a shame if you can't get the com.au.

Don

helloworld

Top Contributor
1300 electrician and partner site plumber are both running net.au. Both nicely designed sites for conversion. Both sites actively doing seo (albeit some of it questionable).

CyberClick

Top Contributor

Yes.

The .net.au is likely to be a cheapskate and the chance of them taking business rather than losing business to the .com.au is remote.

Not always.

If you've been "beaten up" by a keyword .org whilst you are on a .au how is anyone going to prevent that?

You could minimise the risk by reg'ing all the extensions but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I think the key thing here those is nobody is being "beaten up" by a "domain", they are being beaten by someone whose overall strategy is better.

A keyword domain is an important part of many online strategies.

Registering a .net.au isn't insurance against anybody.

Yes it is.

Horshack

Top Contributor
At risk of repeating something that I may have posted before. This argument is the same as the .com vs .net debate and we know how that turned out. There's always going to be someone that gets lucky and makes it work but in general the successes are so few and far between that you are likely to be wasting your time developing a .net.au domain name even with the most popular keywords. I see no value whatsoever in any .net.au domains including the best keyword domain names and it appears that valuation websites such as valuate/estibot etc hold the same view. Shoes.com.au $57000 vs shoes.net.au $120 tells the story.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member