1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

How popular are the .net.au domain names

Discussion in 'Newbies & Getting Started' started by Liquid, May 5, 2014.

1. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

She should stop making Vanilla and make more Chocolate. It is all about trying to make something work when in reality nobody really wants it. Instead of trying to push the losers they'd be better off pushing the winners.

I'm guessing this lady was not exhausting the worlds supply of chocolate in her kitchen.

It does not double the availability of desirable domain names, because .net.au is not desirable.

The difference between .com.au and .net.au is that .com.au is the default extension in Australia. It is the A4 of domain world. Doesn't matter why people use it, the fact is they do.

AUDA is wasting their time trying to change anyone's perception because what most people think is "right". If 99% of people thinking chocolate is better than vanilla then give them chocolate, no point trying to convince them vanilla is better.

2. snoopy

Firstly I don't think AUDA needs to promote any extension, much like Verisign has never really promoted .com. The promotion is being done by just about every company in the country, it costs AUDA nothing and is highly effective.

But if AUDA is going to spend money on this kind of thing it should go where the money actually is. Good example is .id.au where they spent significant amount of money creating and advertising something that nobody wants. If something had sold badly year after year other companies wouldn't start promoting it over promoting successful products.

3. nt81

nt81 Membership: Community

Ermagerd, where can we get some new TLD's? Won't someone please think of the TLD's

4. Liquid

Liquid Membership: Community

How can you say that nobody made money of Vanilla

.com.au = Chocolate

.net.au = Vanilla

5. auAppraisals

auAppraisals Membership: Community

I agree, but it appears they do need to educate people about the differences (or lack thereof) between the extensions (these two in particular).

However, you did say:
    ...and I'm just not sure what you mean?

I would say that "what people want" is the opportunity to hold the most relevant domain name for their particular requirement, irrespective of the extension. Sure, in retrospect, maybe there should have been a clearer differentiation between com.au and net.au, but it's too late to argue that point now.

So you wouldn't consider homeloans.net.au a desirable domain name?

Absolutely, historically, businesses have favoured com.au over net.au, but that doesn't mean that there is no value *at all* in the latter.

...unless there is no chocolate left, and then they might prefer vanilla to nothing.

6. snoopy

No, they want .com.au and they want the most appropriate keyword/s for their business in .com.au. The vast majority of people choose extension first, keyword second. That can be seen in registration statistics. Even the word "choose" isn't quite right because they don't think "what extension do I need", they think "I need a .com.au, what is the best I can get".

It is worth something, but only because of the immense appeal of the keyword, the extension is a massive value sapper for it.

7. nt81

8. auAppraisals

Thank you.

9. Horshack

Horshack Membership: Community

I'm sure I've seen quite a few good keyword term .net.au domains for sale on this website recently and there doesn't appear to have been any interest. There's a heap of web design/domain professionals on this forum and if they don't see value I wonder who is going to. Maybe those sellers could enlighten us on their response. Maybe a lotto ticket would be a better investment than paying for a .net.au domain name.

10. nt81

I think the crux of it is, people are selling names. Some are great and some are less desirable.

If you have value (site) attached to that domain, it changes the whole game. So you can't write off the .net.au unless you are strictly a domainer who can't see past the potential of it being a package. For me, that is the issue. Because i'm not a domainer.

11. auAppraisals

I couldn't agree more. Everyone here accepts that com.au domains are the default/go-to/more desirable extension for businesses, and therefore command higher resale value. But if you're a new business, or launching a new brand, and [your preferred domain name].com.au is already gone, what options do you have?

You can register joesmithplumbingsydney.com.au, but I believe joesplumbing.net.au is a better choice if your name's Joe and you're a plumber and you're building a business and not just a domain name portfolio.

Sure, joesplumbing.com.au is probably even better given the current preference for that extension, but if it's already registered, what are the alternatives? The net.au extension has to appear somewhere on that list, surely?

12. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    this is a rant so feel free to skip past.

IMAGINE what would happen auda bring in just .au , and then say that the longest holder of a domain gets first dibs at the new domain ?

what happens to all those drops you are now buying ? next to worthless as the .au takes over the .com.au

so lets sell heaps of $1 .net.au to people now

ORRRRR because so many .net.au's have been sold for already taken domains auda says "well you both will have to bid"

i don't like it and i feel there is an undercurrent here.

tim

13. nt81

14. snoopy

This is one of the standard argument is favour of new/alt tlds. It is not accurate though because the businesses rarely "have" to choose a 4 word .com.au. In .com that isn't even the case.

Most of the time businesses use two word domains, sometimes three, rarely more than that.

Its a bad sign when the example is actually available.

15. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    totally disagree, its a waste of time, better to think of something else

tim

16. Liquid

Liquid Membership: Community

I see this as being like the classic view of gold and silver.

.au = Platinum
    .com.au = Gold
    .net.au = Silver
    org.au = bronze

Going back to its original intended proposal

net.au
    "For commercial purposes. Includes commercial entities, currently registered and trading in Australia, as well as commercial products and services. Almost all of the domains in this domain type tend to be net/communications related."

Source

17. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    .net.au = someone sat in an office " way back when" and made a decision to try and tell australians what to register, they didn't agree and the numbers prove it.

the "platinum" is yet to come, it is when you have an ocean view and the council decide to sell the land in front of your house to a developer who then builds a 10 story block of units ( just look at the gold coast and the bank accounts of the councilors )

tim

18. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

Snoopy, findtim et. al.,

Have either of you ever actually registered, developed, SEO'd or sold a .net.au?

19. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i own most of the .net.au's of my premium domains and premium is IMO only and i don't need or care for appraisals on them.

other then that i don't even look at .net.au

so that ratio = @ 1% of my folio

i'd rather register a reverse domain then a .net.au eg: dubbodentist, dentistdubbo

and my purpose for registering the .net.au is not to sell, its to cover my brand.

tim

20. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Actually I registered a .net.au domain last week (so now I have 2 of them :eek:). It was free through VentraIP for existing customers.

Was it worth a minute of my time to register? Possibly. Will I buy any more for $1 each? Probably not.

The domain I got was SciFi.net.au. I ran one of my lists and it looked like one of the better ones available... but somehow I still have buyers remorse and I didn't even pay for it! :p