What's new

Hobart.com.au sold!

smee

Top Contributor
Congrats David.

Beware anyone visiting hobart.com.au

"hobart.com.au contains content from asiapress.hotels.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found that malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed. Why not try again tomorrow or go somewhere else?
We have already notified asiapress.hotels.com that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on asiapress.hotels.com, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page."

DavidL

Top Contributor
I wouldn't be surprised if there is/was something dodgy there. Getting hacked to pieces at the mo.

Ah well one less site to worry about now!!

Oz.

Top Contributor

Bloody awesome sale guys!

Drinks are on you next time

DavidL

Top Contributor
No I'm not - mistake SmartCompany made that they since corrected but not before thedomains.com. picked the story up.

I used to talk with Patrick a bit when I was at NF you see.

snoopy

Top Contributor
This is a great sale, congrats.

65K only? :eek:

Man...I could have run a tin box around town to raise more than that :(

Let me guess, you'd have a paid more if you had the money?

It is one of the highest .com.au sales ever reported.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
This is a great sale, congrats.

Let me guess, you'd have a paid more if you had the money?

It is one of the highest .com.au sales ever reported.

I would if I had it. And I bet that a group of investors would have easily reached $100K...the prestige of controlling their city domain...to some people is gold. And of course EXTREMELY brandable.

Hobart is a nice place and $65K for it seems low to me.

But we are still in the early years of something that in 20 years may be a total different game.

How much would you evaluate Melbourne.com.au ? I'd say $2,000,000 would be the lowest end.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I would if I had it. And I bet that a group of investors would have easily reached $100K...the prestige of controlling their city domain...to some people is gold. And of course EXTREMELY brandable.

Hobart is a nice place and $65K for it seems low to me.

But we are still in the early years of something that in 20 years may be a total different game.

What group of investors?

People always say they would have paid more when the don't have the money, there is some irony in that.

How much would you evaluate Melbourne.com.au ? I'd say $2,000,000 would be the lowest end.

Would say around $200k. It is a another trophy name rather than something with a clear business model. There has never been a reported .com.au sale anywhere near $2million. Even for .com there is barely a market at that level.

James

Top Contributor
What group of investors?

People always say they would have paid more when the don't have the money, there is some irony in that.

Would say around $200k. It is a another trophy name rather than something with a clear business model. There has never been a reported .com.au sale anywhere near $2million. Even for .com there is barely a market at that level.

Didn't the melbourne.com sell for $700,000 years ago?

global name I know, surely the .com.au is worth more than 200k?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Didn't the melbourne.com sell for $700,000 years ago?

global name I know, surely the .com.au is worth more than 200k?

Yes, a domainer bought numerous capital city .com's (was right at the peak of the market in mid 2007). Would be a very steep loss if liquidated today in my view.

I would think the .com would be worth something similar to the .com.au. I think the .com would have a bit more commercial focus (tourism) with the .com.au being a more local name, still the numbers don't look great on either for development in my view.

The front page image is ironic,

http://melbourne.com/

James

Top Contributor
Yes, a domainer bought numerous capital city .com's (was right at the peak of the market in mid 2007). Would be a very steep loss if liquidated today in my view.

I would think the .com would be worth something similar to the .com.au. I think the .com would have a bit more commercial focus (tourism) with the .com.au being a more local name, still the numbers don't look great on either for development in my view.

The front page image is ironic,

http://melbourne.com/

Melbourne has some good events such as F1 & Tennis + its the 2nd largest city in Australia, but yeah I think 700k was probably too much for it, I still think its worth more than 200k imo, take Sydney.com.au for example they have been making money off this domain for years, imo far out weights a dodgy parking page with the wrong city image.

johno69

Top Contributor
Sydney.com.au for example they have been making money off this domain for years

That's such a horrible waste of some great domains. They link to melbourne.com.au brisbane.com.au & adelaide.com.au in the footer. The same crappy sites sit on these domains too.

snoopy

Top Contributor
take Sydney.com.au for example they have been making money off this domain for years, imo far out weights a dodgy parking page with the wrong city image.

How much is it making?

I don't think they will be making much money out of me with "speed up you mac" and groupon ads.

9 facebook likes as well....impressive.

James

Top Contributor
How much is it making?

I don't think they will be making much money out of me with "speed up you mac" and groupon ads.

9 facebook likes as well....impressive.

Who knows, but its making more money then a parking page with the wrong image, do you agree?

I agree the design could be better but I don't own the domain so its not up too me.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo