What's new

Hobart.com.au sold!

DavidL

Top Contributor
Just to let you know we sold Hobart.com.au for $65K today. Bittersweet as we had a decent little site on there that was ranking #1 for a while but same old story - too many projects, too little time so it needed a good home.

Best of luck to the new owners (who are local which is always nice) :)

Lorenzo

Top Contributor
Just to let you know we sold Hobart.com.au for $65K today. Bittersweet as we had a decent little site on there that was ranking #1 for a while but same old story - too many projects, too little time so it needed a good home.

Best of luck to the new owners (who are local which is always nice) :)

65K only? :eek:

Man...I could have run a tin box around town to raise more than that :(

findtim

Top Contributor
congrats, i think its a good deal for both parties, selling to locals is always good, well done

tim

BenWalker

Top Contributor
Nice sale David! Congrats!

Just out of curiosity, did you hand register this or buy it on the drops? (If so when?)

findtim

Top Contributor
i may be wrong but....

i'm under the impression these names where held off register in the early days on domains in the .au space, they then went to tender many years ago, i'm thinking @ 2005 in my memory???? but don't trust that date.

before then a lot of town name .com's were registered as you couldn't get the .au

byronbay.com is a great example of this

i doubt very much hobart.com.au was hand reg'd

tim

SAXIE

Congratulations David on your recent sale!! I Only wish i could have a few premium domain name like those in my portfolio

DavidL

Top Contributor
Thanks everyone for the messages! I know many of you have sold domains for a lot more but this is a record sale for us so pretty happy!

65K only? :eek:

Man...I could have run a tin box around town to raise more than that :(

If you think it's cheap I have over 2,000 other names for sale at firesale prices like this so please PM me and you'll clean up ;)

nice sale, seems it has been for sale for a while but - http://www.domainpulse.com/2010/11/23/hobart-up-for-sale-down-under/

All our names are for sale... at a price. Tried to get some interest in this a while ago but didn't really get much. Had a $35K offer on NF at one stage I think...

i may be wrong but....

i'm under the impression these names where held off register in the early days on domains in the .au space, they then went to tender many years ago, i'm thinking @ 2005 in my memory???? but don't trust that date.

before then a lot of town name .com's were registered as you couldn't get the .au

byronbay.com is a great example of this

i doubt very much hobart.com.au was hand reg'd

tim

Yep you're right - cost us $825 + catching fees in 2005

http://www.auda.org.au/news-archive/auda-19082005/

findtim

Top Contributor
$825, nice, so i know in the case of byronbay ( as i lived there) almost every person bar me applied for that domain, i didn't as i knew rick who owns byronbay.com and i felt it should be his as he started wayyyyyyy before people ever wanted him and had some very tough early years.

so on that note what was the underlying thing that caused you to get that name? against all others?

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member