What's new

gTLD stuff

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I think i was trying to get it across that now domainers have laid the foundations of a 'registration market' the registrars seem to think everything should now be at premium pricing?? Of course any domainer who registers a gtld knows they are taking a chance. Yes a cash game for sure but it seems greed has quickly set in when you read about fake trademarks and so forth just get overpriced names. Seems crazy

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think i was trying to get it across that now domainers have laid the foundations of a 'registration market' the registrars seem to think everything should now be at premium pricing?? Of course any domainer who registers a gtld knows they are taking a chance. Yes a cash game for sure but it seems greed has quickly set in when you read about fake trademarks and so forth just get overpriced names. Seems crazy

There is no point in registries selling domains for less than they are worth. It is the .tv model because that works best for the registry and their role is to maximise profit.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
There is no point in registries selling domains for less than they are worth. It is the .tv model because that works best for the registry and their role is to maximise profit.

Are you saying these new extension do have a premium value ?
~
.tv premium name 3.0 ?

Mick

Top Contributor
Good luck to the person who owns nightclub.com, see some additional traffic thanks to Chrome :p

snoopy

Top Contributor
Are you saying these new extension do have a premium value ?
~
.tv premium name 3.0 ?

"Worth" is probably not the best choice of words in my post, if they can get $200 that is where they should price it (or higher).

I think with new tlds some people are willing to pay well over the odds prices. This is especially so after new launches or when something is being heavily hyped.

If there is a market for a name at $200 per year the registry would be mad to sell it for $10/yr. It is a bad situation for domainers but they are on the opposite side of the table, the customer or "enduser" or these names. The registry needs to grab whatever sales they can at the extreme level. This is why some of these registries are starting at initially at $25,000 for people who want to jump the queue (e.g. .rich) etc then they working their way down over time.

When the domainer needs to resell they'll be met with no market mostly for anything with premium pricing, I think even if they tried to sell it straight away they'd be met with no market.

findtim

Top Contributor
in 2001 i was buying domain names at $147 ? ish , now they are $10

same for tv's, videos, etccc the difference is for domains "there is only 1"

just wait a few years and we will have to sift through even MORE thousands of dropping domains per day, i just hope the auction houses are building better filter features

tim

auAppraisals

Apart from information (by which I mean news, social media, search, etc), most of what we do in life is geographically referenced. The original ccTLD scheme is surely the most relevant and useful in everyday use, but this also explains why the .london, .nyc and .berlin gTLDs have been so popular (and perhaps why .dubbo is a good bet!).

It's different for global brands, so is it just a matter of time before the likes of coca-cola.com (which redirects to coca-cola.com.au locally) is replaced by the 'coca-cola' gTLD, redirecting to [ccTLD].coca-cola. Which begs the question, wouldn't they have been better sticking with coca-cola.[ccTLD] in the first place?

Also, someone mentioned .photography being popular with [egotistical] photographers. Wouldn't .photographer be better? But, if you're running a business, do you really care, so long as people can find you? Isn't that more important than the name they use, so long as it is relevant?

That's why I think many of those that are aware of gTLDs are uninterested. They have a working website, that people can access and find online, using a name they've established over many years. Why change to [business name].[gTLD] when there'll be another perhaps more relevant gTLD available in a couple of months, and again shortly after?

snoopy

Top Contributor
It's different for global brands, so is it just a matter of time before the likes of coca-cola.com (which redirects to coca-cola.com.au locally) is replaced by the 'coca-cola' gTLD, redirecting to [ccTLD].coca-cola. Which begs the question, wouldn't they have been better sticking with coca-cola.[ccTLD] in the first place?

I challenge anyone to be able to remember and type in coca-cola.coca-cola or www.coca-cola into a browser without making mistakes. It took me loads of corrections to even type them for this post.

auAppraisals

That is hilarious. I got a 'not found' when I was writing the post and thought 'that's impossible'. Took half a dozen looks before I realised I'd typed coco-cola.com.au

nt81

Top Contributor
I challenge anyone to be able to remember and type in coca-cola.coca-cola or www.coca-cola into a browser without making mistakes. It took me loads of corrections to even type them for this post.

Isn't that why it will be something like

drink.coke
enjoy.coke
always.coke

?

findtim

Top Contributor
Isn't that why it will be something like

drink.coke
enjoy.coke
always.coke

?

i'd invest in :

snif.coke
smoke.coke
shot.coke
sell.coke
traffic.coke
deal.coke
etcccccccc

before i registered something so passive as drink.coke

(friday funny ) :D:D:D:D:D

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Yep it will but is that copyright ?

Not if they spend the money to get their own gtld extension such .bmw .song and .canon are doing ……self branding extensions will be common over the years coca.cola was not that hard to type but i think .coke would be better.
~
Yes registries can try their luck at pricing, interesting to see how long they take their stance ?
~
I think their was far better advertising for .club than many of the other gtlds

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members