1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

gTLD stuff

Discussion in 'gTLDs' started by nt81, Mar 7, 2014.

1. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

point being why punish something that helps your business?

2. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Having a whole lot of low quality sites in the index isn't going to help them.

3. DnEbook

.berlin is about to be released, i will be interested to see how this 'different/city' gtld goes?? I think it is available for anyone to register unlike .nyc which is going to require a current new york address

4. nt81

nt81 Membership: Community

I love the idea of thes gTLD's but I feel that the execution (and gTLD selection) has been extremely poor.

5. DnEbook

i am waiting for the 'product/company' gtld's …. .sony and .canon for example (not to buy) just to see how they market them

6. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I think .berlin has similar restrictions - quote from DN Journal:

"Some of these new geo TLDs, like the one that has the honor of being the first of its kind to enter general availability - .BERLIN - will be limited to businesses and citizens (or those who serve them) with local contact information. Starting tomorrow (Tuesday, March 18, 2014) Berlin oriented organizations and individuals can freely register domains representing Germany's capital city - a thriving metropolis of 3.4 million people."

Full article: http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2014/dailyposts/20140317.htm

7. DnEbook

i have used europeregistry.com in the past , they act as agents and this allows you to access the names

1 person likes this.
  8. nt81

Yeah, there will be proxies and agents for those who want to get in on the action, always.

Except for the exclusive .harvard or .monash type stuff

9. DnEbook

10. nt81

11. DnEbook

12. ttfan

ttfan Membership: Community

I wonder what the cost will be after the first year?

13. snoopy

The Germans are domain mad, and tend of go with new tlds more than any other country. But, there is not much to be said for free domain registrations, other than that I'm surprised 2 million weren't taken.

14. nt81

Probably all the system could handle in one day :)

That is 21 domains registered per minute across 24 hours lol

So you could probably assume at peak times that one or more domains were registered per second.

15. David Goldstein

David Goldstein Membership: Community

There is only one registrar giving away .berlin domains for one year. Others are charging with a discounted fee to no discount.

And as I've said before, about 90% of this forum is domainers, so don't complain when people whose prime concern is not domaining don't participate. After all, you seem to have totally missed major changes announcing changes to allow second level registrations in .nz and .uk since they were confirmed.

And not that I'm complaining about having a domainer only discussion group. It's a good idea. Just take into account not everyone thinks this is an important issue. I know most here find that hard to believe...

16. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes

and your point is ?

make up your mind please.

dnt for ME is not a domainer forum ONLY, it is a network that you would not believe what goes on with sharing, your comments effect newbies as do my comments of course.

this is your best sentence
    please expand on this with your knowledge and forget about trashing the other side of your argument about domainers. that will be the win win.

however i have to say i have STRONG rejections to the removal of the .com from .com.au and its obvious i am only saying this to protect my folio and my clients.

tim

17. DnEbook

This thread is about the new gtld's, why would it discuss things like .nz and .uk when they are cctld's ??
    ~
    .berlin is a city …… unsure what the gripe is about, it is very easy to start a new thread if .nz and .uk are to be discussed

18. nt81

I understand where Tim is coming from. His concern is that the new gTLDs will dilute the necessity of his clients going for strong ccTLD domains. And rightly so.

This was also my opinion initially that if the gTLD thing gets out of hand and becomes a free for all, then domains (esp ccTLD) in general will stuffer.

But that said, I'm always open to change, and going forward if this is the reality, then lets work with it and see what happens.

Plus you don't know how Google (Interweb overlords) will pimp gTLD in the future.

19. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    +1 ( as i can't find the "like" button ? )

20. snoopy

I think that registrar and related entities had by far the largest number of registrations.