What's new

grabbing someones database list

acheeva

Top Contributor
" honey... you know that holiday house in byron bay you always wanted ! well we just got it"

The only problem is that it is part of the beach today!

Sorry; off topic

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
While we're on the subject of spam, it's worth noting that ACMA recently warned McDonald's for sending spam via a 'send to a friend' function on their website.

ACMA warned companies running similar marketing campaigns, which are found to contravene spam laws, that they could face tougher punishments in future.

"Really this is our first 'friend get friend' investigation. It's a formal warning," Ms Cornwell McKean said.

Via The Australian

findtim

Top Contributor
"The Spam Act states it is illegal to send, or cause to be sent, unsolicited commercial electronic messages."

we are still on subject as the reason for a database is to make contact.

"unsolicited" is the big word for me in that sentence, there must be 1000's of businesses ignoring that right now even 10 years on from the 2003 act.

i get an email every week from ballina tourism, why ???? i've never gone near them, now the answer will be i did something and in small writing it said something like "i give approval................. etc"

but if i was to contact them and ask how they got my email address they wouldn't be able to tell me. The RSL has my email address, maybe they gave it to them?

so also how can i prove i in no way gave my email address to them? thus its not unsolicited but both of us can't prove either way.

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
When registering for something i'm unsure about I tend to use a catch all email setup and use theirwebsite@mydomain as the email.

Pretty easy to see who shares your email then.

findtim

Top Contributor
When registering for something i'm unsure about I tend to use a catch all email setup and use theirwebsite@mydomain as the email.

Pretty easy to see who shares your email then.

nice idea, i've mostly done mispellings when i think its dodgy but that is a far easier solution.

tim

CyberClick

Top Contributor
Sorry to weigh in on this one late, but the Australian Spam act is not only ineffective, but downright damaging to local businesses.

While we all abide by the rules and don't send promotional emails, I literally get dozens of unsolicited emails daily from overseas suppliers and competitors.

I spoke with the relevant authority and was advised that all they do in response, is send the overseas spammer an email referring them to the spam act. Lucky we're the lucky country, because we're certainly not the clever one!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member