What's new

Google Rolls out Algo change to target Exact Match domains.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Regarding parking though I'd say the value add is connecting a visitor with an advertiser. The alternative to a park page is a blank page or a for sale sign. If the MFA site wasn't around something else would rank in its place.
You can "rationalise" it however you want, but domainers don't add real value:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBmJay_qdNc

But then again nether does SEO really, given that it's also a zero sum game, whereby for one person to move into position #1 everyone else must move down, ie no real value is created.

:D

Ahh... so much in the world is non-value adding.

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
You can "rationalise" it however you want, but domainers don't add real value:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBmJay_qdNc

;)

...but know that I'm not advocating I add much value to the world either. For the most part, I'm a gap finding, middleman too, but I'm OK with it.

I think you make a good point. Maybe parking adds no value. I see it as this, what is more useful for a surfer though, a park page or a blank page?

If people don't find utility why are the CTR's so high, 60, 70, 100% etc? I see them as as useful as a domain redirect, there is nothing really in them, but I think it is linking them up with want they want.

snoopy

Top Contributor

They are probably trying to monetize it by providing the service that is relevant to what the person was looking for.

Not really true a lot of the time. I suspect type of sites that Google are after typically offer no service. Just some crappy description of what the term represents, a few pages of text based on minimal research by some content writer or the site owner, then advertising.

I don't think a thing has happened to exact match domains where the site owner is actually offering the product or service that the name represents.

findtim

Top Contributor
He's just bummed his business model got nuked.

At one moment google does things to suggest they want to get rid of SEO methods, now they want to get rid of domains that are providing exactly what the customer is searching for? james nailed it one page 1 of this thread.

EMD - Carsales.com.au as example, huge site, higher quality, brand heavy and high number of links.

Low Quality EMD - 5 page website with low number of links and low quality content.

theres been other posts on this thread that support this, if your website is functional and ALIVE and an EMD then you probably won't get hurt, if its dead then it probably will get trashed by google, i don't like it but i have to say i agree with it.

so i'm expecting a few trashes of some of my sites, but working now to fix it before it happens as once it happens i feel you are MARKED and its much harder to come back.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
At one moment google does things to suggest they want to get rid of SEO methods, now they want to get rid of domains that are providing exactly what the customer is searching for? james nailed it one page 1 of this thread.

It is clearly targeted at low quality sites, not ones who are "providing exactly what the customer is searching for". Just because my domain reflects the search term doesn't mean it provides what people are after, a lot of these sites are just full of low quality text for the purpose of advertising.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I don't think so, Is see the little guys competing all the time,

here is one I just tried,

"filing cabinets"

There is alot of ads, officeworks.com.au is no.2,

no.1 is MBA office furniture, I've never heard of them, but they are in the top spot,

http://www.officefurnituredeals.com.au/buy-filing-cabinets/?gclid=CKOdg6Tx4bICFcchpQodAHMAyQ

So there is a multi billion? dollar company competing with a couple of guys running a business from a shop in Heidelberg. I haven't looked for someone operating out of their garage and I doubt anyone would advertise that fact however I think adwords is full of small businesses. You use adwords yourself don't you? I guess the is ultimate irony for someone trying to make an argument that small operators can't compete.

Snoopy, re-read what I said.

I agree entirely - it's not easier than Adwords at all for small operators.

My comment was about the 'original' google - remember 10 years ago when Google made a big deal that a tiny home business could compete toe to toe with a bluechip for a target keyphrase. Really those days have gone haven't they?

I was agreeing with you. I was talking about organic listings and how it's now easier for small business to use Adwords these days.

Jeez, we all know you are an argumentative fella but when I say:

I agree entirely...

I'm surprised that you still continue to argue and even throw in a few personal jabs.

In all seriousness, I like arguing the toss with you but do me a favour and don't just argue for the sake of it, OK?

snoopy

Top Contributor
I was agreeing with you. I was talking about organic listings and how it's now easier for small business to use Adwords these days.

Sorry misread this. I agree adwords is far easier, not sure I would say small operators can't compete though. The typical small business is in a niche or local area. eg I type "camberwell hardware" and going through every hardware store in the area is listed regardless of size.

I personally wouldn't tell a small business to go out and try and do a whole lot of seo though or to try and get ranked on "hardware" (which would be send them lousy traffic anyway if they are local). I'd tell them to focus on adwords, build up their site & not worry about SEO.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I'm assuming that this will hit values of hyphenated domains and .net.au. Thoughts?
You expect them to go into negative territory? ;)
Literally laughed out loud!

Good to see that inbetween all the $0 valuations there is the odd wise crack that brings a smile to my face.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
I'm assuming that this will hit values of hyphenated domains and .net.au. Thoughts?

Andrew

why? isn't the obvious thing here google wants unique content so if you have a hyphen or .net.au but its a shit hot site changing constantly, blogging and social, active, then you should be be untouched by all these changes.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
why? isn't the obvious thing here google wants unique content so if you have a hyphen or .net.au but its a shit hot site changing constantly, blogging and social, active, then you should be be untouched by all these changes.

tim

People often don't buy .net.au's and hyphen names to put high quality sites on them, this is MFA city I think. The put it another way they probably aren't even thinking about repeat visitors, establishing a business that will last etc. If they were, they probably would avoid anything .net.au or with a hyphen.

Snooks

Top Contributor
If they were, they probably would avoid anything .net.au or with a hyphen.

Why is .net.au classed as being no good? Isnt a 5 letter major keyword in .net.au worth something if you build a decent site on it?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member