What's new

Getting Businesses To Subscribe To Keyword Notification

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Hey guys,

I'm back with more hot suggestions for NF.

:p

I don't know if you guys already do this, but I reckon you guys might be well served focussing on getting businesses to sign up for those email alerts when certain words are used in domains coming up for sale.

I say this because a client of mine constantly hassles me about the alerts they get for domains that are dropping, most of the time I say they have no major value, but 9 times out of 10 they can't help themselves but bid - even on marginal domains - and what I have realised is I imagine for most retail businesses it makes sense to just spend $50 to secure the domain and pay a $10 renewal fee than need to worry about the competition getting it and for the higher quality domains that come up for sale they definitely want to acquire them and are very willing to pay $XXX if not $XXXX for them.

So every time a domain sells for more than $25, I'd send emails to all businesses saying something to the effect of:

Hi XYZ,

The domain abcdefg.com.au sold at public auction today for $XXX price and whilst it is too late now we realise that this might have been a domain that you may have been also interested in acquiring for your own online strategy.

Whilst this is unlikely to ever come up for sale again in the future we can offer you a free automatic notification about any related domains that come up for public auction in the future. Click the link button:

link
I'd have very little doubt that each subscriber would be worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the course of a year or two!

So I'd be hiring some offshored worker full time whose job was just to try and build that subscriber list.

Just an idea.

Mark

Top Contributor
Hey guys,

I'm back with more hot suggestions for NF.

:p

That's not like you :)

Yes, we do try to promote our alerts to retail clients - it's perfect for them. Set and forget. However, promoting individual domains to individual clients is time consuming, and a bit of a long shot.

We're trying to focus our attention on building and promoting premium domains to the wider Australian market, and educating them beforehand.

It's something to consider, but I would also worry about being a bit spammy to be honest.

Thanks for input as ever Chris

Cheers
Mark

Chris.C

Top Contributor
That's not like you.
Yeah I know... I just can't help myself - plus I figure throwing my ideas out there never hurt anyone.

:eek:

Yes, we do try to promote our alerts to retail clients - it's perfect for them. Set and forget. However, promoting individual domains to individual clients is time consuming, and a bit of a long shot.
Yeah it is the perfect solution for time conscious business.

Also please note I wasn't suggesting promoting individual domains I was suggesting promoting the fact that they have already MISSED OUT on the opportunity to buy good domains and they should sign up for you FREE and very SPECIFIC notification so they don't miss out again.

Lots of business people have a massive fear of missing the boat on the latest industry changing events. And to be honest I imagine a lot of business owners would want to know when assets within their industry are being liquidate, which is what is essentially happening when they go to expiry auctions.

We're trying to focus our attention on building and promoting premium domains to the wider Australian market, and educating them beforehand.
Totally understand that and I don't think this idea competes with your current strategy.

I was just thinking of additional ways that you could bring more buyers to the market, as I have always found it is 10 times harder to try and convince someone to pay more (and you will have to do it with every domain) than it is to just let multiple parties fight for something and push the price up in the process.

It's something to consider, but I would also worry about being a bit spammy to be honest.
Yes it's potentially grey area.

James

Top Contributor
I think it would be wise for domains which are high value,

but each day you have 1000s of domains dropping the sheer scale would be hard, unless you can set up rules based on Google Keyword Tool?

Kind Regards,

James.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Just had another brain wave along a similar vein.

When someone's buys a domain via the standard catalogue (more likely to be a retail buyer) offer them to send them free notifications about similar domains that expire or go up for auction given that you already determine the keyword phrases used in domains to calculate search volumes.

Eg, someone bought weddingphotographers.com.au on NF, once they have agreed to buy the domain, automatically prompt them to say, would you like to be notified when domains containing the words "wedding" or "photographers" come up for sale?

You could even automatically ask this question after every time someone buys a domain on the AMA or Snapper. I don't think you guys should ever miss an opportunity to get people to subscribe and get those notifications.

:D

findtim

Top Contributor
i bought two "low budget" domains $10 each + NF charges, last week on netfleet and the email i recieved suggested others so i think NF are kinda doing it.

it would of course be "opt in" with an "opt out" function.

what i do is use the search tool when i get the next days drop link email from NF, i just have a shortttttt list of key words and if nothign interesting comes up i move onto other stuff, later in the night if i can i go throught the a-z but don't stress about it.

i'd like to put into my NF account "tell me if THIS word comes up" i think it would be a KILLER feature.

but i can imagine the cost of programming that would be quite expensive so i'm cool the way it is.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
thnx johno69, still dipping my toe into all this. i'm mostly creating not buying but a friend tipped me off to Ned and a few domains he knew i'd like and BAM i'm now into domaining !

not green on internet ( 11 years creating ) but very green on domaining ( < 6 months).

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
thnx johno69, still dipping my toe into all this. i'm mostly creating not buying but a friend tipped me off to Ned and a few domains he knew i'd like and BAM i'm now into domaining !

You're welcome. I don't consider myself a domainer either. I have never bought a domain for the sole purpose of resale, but that said, everything is for sale for the right price.

Mark

Top Contributor
When someone's buys a domain via the standard catalogue (more likely to be a retail buyer) offer them to send them free notifications about similar domains that expire or go up for auction given that you already determine the keyword phrases used in domains to calculate search volumes.

Eg, someone bought weddingphotographers.com.au on NF, once they have agreed to buy the domain, automatically prompt them to say, would you like to be notified when domains containing the words "wedding" or "photographers" come up for sale?

You could even automatically ask this question after every time someone buys a domain on the AMA or Snapper. I don't think you guys should ever miss an opportunity to get people to subscribe and get those notifications.

:D

You're dead right -we should always cross promote and up sell when we have the chance. As findtim mentioned, we do this for the Snapper Auctions promoting the AMA and Standard Listings, but not the other way (yet). For info, here is the Snapper Auctions cross promotion email we send out:

Dear Mark,

Congratulations on winning these names with Snapper Auctions today,

domainname.com.au

We have found a few domains listed in the aftermarket auction on Netfleet that might be of interest to you with their current offer,

Domains.com.au $110
DomainNames.com.au $100
Names.com.au $0

We have found a few domains listed for sale on Netfleet that might be of interest to you with their current offer (where applicable),

MyDomain.com.au
YourDomain.com.au $100.00

Create a new alert with the following keyword/s : domain name

Best wishes,
The Netfleet Team

With the Create a new alert part being a once click setup.

i'd like to put into my NF account "tell me if THIS word comes up" i think it would be a KILLER feature.

As a further to what johno69 said, you can enter a list of keywords and you'll get an email notifying you if a domain name is listed for sale on Netfleet in Snapper Auctions, AMA or Standard Listing:

http://www.netfleet.com.au/alerts

We are working on an advanced version that can alert on metrics (search, links etc), and allows negative keywords (eg no hyphen, no NZ domains etc)

Chris.C

Top Contributor
You're dead right -we should always cross promote and up sell when we have the chance. As findtim mentioned, we do this for the Snapper Auctions promoting the AMA and Standard Listings, but not the other way (yet). For info, here is the Snapper Auctions cross promotion email we send out:

Dear Mark,

Congratulations on winning these names with Snapper Auctions today,

domainname.com.au

We have found a few domains listed in the aftermarket auction on Netfleet that might be of interest to you with their current offer,

Domains.com.au $110
DomainNames.com.au $100
Names.com.au $0

We have found a few domains listed for sale on Netfleet that might be of interest to you with their current offer (where applicable),

MyDomain.com.au
YourDomain.com.au $100.00

Create a new alert with the following keyword/s : domain name

Best wishes,
The Netfleet Team

With the Create a new alert part being a once click setup.

As a further to what johno69 said, you can enter a list of keywords and you'll get an email notifying you if a domain name is listed for sale on Netfleet in Snapper Auctions, AMA or Standard Listing:

http://www.netfleet.com.au/alerts

We are working on an advanced version that can alert on metrics (search, links etc), and allows negative keywords (eg no hyphen, no NZ domains etc)
Is it just me or is it really hard to find the link to sign up for Alerts via the NF members account?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member