What's new

Frank Schilling & gTLDs

johno69

Top Contributor
The times I suggest a .com.au are when the .com is taken and/or it's a very local business.

I do hope you at least suggest they grab both.

Critical error running the .com and leaving the .com.au for your competition to grab.

In AU, always go for au.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Thanks - must be me though. I can't access the site at all... every other webpage seems OK. Anyway will check later cheers

snoopy

Top Contributor
Well worth a read - as are the comments. There are some who vociferously disagree with his take on things.

What do you think?

I think it is .mobi mania again, except on a larger scale. Thankfully this time some domainers have moved the the correct side of the fence, selling this junk instead of buying it.

findtim

Top Contributor
I think it is .mobi mania again, except on a larger scale. Thankfully this time some domainers have moved the the correct side of the fence, selling this junk instead of buying it.

he creates a very convincing arguement, i don't think .mobi is a good comparison as google control their gtld's where icann control .mobi

what icann have effectively done is lost control ! am i right ? yes there may be "rules" but google, NAB, BMW etc are now in control of who gets what.

i previously didn't think this was going to be a good thing but now i see the reasoning. what i see is a whole bunch of more work for me... yippeee because no matter what google provide there will STILL be business people who just want to pay someone to do it. eg: facebook business pages ! i honestly get a phone call everyday asking me to set their business up on FB business page even though its easy and ALL the info on how to do it is online.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
he creates a very convincing arguement, i don't think .mobi is a good comparison as google control their gtld's where icann control .mobi what icann have effectively done is lost control ! am i right ? yes there may be "rules" but google, NAB, BMW etc are now in control of who gets what.

Don't follow any of this. *If* Icann "controlled" a tld before I don't see how that is any different now.

To take the .mobi example the registry could do all sorts of things, they had auctions, failed request for proposals plans where domains were going to be given out based on usage etc rather than just money.

.mobi was backed by Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia. So these guys are the poster boys of failed gtld investment...there was all the "plans" and press releases in the world but at the end of the day all that happened was a bunch of domainers typed in their credit card numbers.

The difference now is that some of these tlds are private but I don't see how that will make them move successful. Mostly they'll end up underused in my view, even worse than the past gtlds failures. Of course it is always different, it has to be for people to invest, but this is really the "throw the entire pie at wall and hope something happens" moment. If this fails it is all over for new tlds in my view.

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
snoopy i agree with your " "throw the entire pie at wall and hope something happens"

but i also see google being able to present a good business model to support it

We have A LOT of businesses out there still using @bigpond and @optusnet email addresses, ( which is absolutely silly to me ) so i am sure google will make money from their investment, sorry to say but from " misslead fools enticed buy quick minded sales people eg: googles adwords sales team "

The goal for "builders" like myself is to get to the businesses first, which seems impossible ! i often feel like "schindler's list" when i talk to businesses that have gone down the wrong path, "the dark side of the force"

Snoopy i think you are right and wrong all at the same time, only time will tell.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member