What's new

The cheapest domain registrar for .com.au

Markz

I have a few .com.au with GD, they are about to expire and with Oz dollar at US$0.7 I thought it would make sense to transfer them across to a local registrar.
Later on, in a year or so I might need to transfer them again to another person [am not sure at the moment if it's going to be the same registrar or not].
I've looked around and it looks like Netlogistics is the cheapest registrar for .com.au - only $25 per 2 years with free COR.
VentraIP is close but they charge $24.95 for COR. So in my case Netlogistics looks like to be the one to go with.
Guys, what's you opinion about them? Just only Registrarwise. Would you recommend it? Maybe there are other companies I would better go with?
Thanks,

Mark

Markz

Thanks, am glad that I asked. But Zuver? I have never heard about them before.
22 bucks sounds good but do you think they are better than Netlogistics? I remember hosting with Netlogistics a zillion years back. When it comes to domains want to be sure that the company I'm going to give them to will be there in 2 years.
Had some bad experience before :)
Domainshield is $49.95 Are they better in general or in something specific? Am a domaining newbie, sorry in advance for all these naive questions.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Thanks, am glad that I asked. But Zuver? I have never heard about them before.
22 bucks sounds good but do you think they are better than Netlogistics? I remember hosting with Netlogistics a zillion years back. When it comes to domains want to be sure that the company I'm going to give them to will be there in 2 years.
Had some bad experience before :)
Domainshield is $49.95 Are they better in general or in something specific? Am a domaining newbie, sorry in advance for all these naive questions.
Zuver are part of VentraIP, so I don't think you need to worry about them not being around in a few years: https://zuver.net.au/about
I've been a customer of VentraIP for nearly 6 years now.

asantha

Top Contributor

If you have more domains- over 100 as I remember, price per domain goes down.

Yes Zuver is just the budget version of ventraip

Joel

Top Contributor
I've looked around and it looks like Netlogistics is the cheapest registrar for .com.au - only $25 per 2 years with free COR
You may have misunderstood what they offer when they state "No-cost Modifications on Most Domains". This no-cost modification is no doubt referring to TLDs like .com , .net etc.
.au domains have a registry fee for COR that is charged to the registrar and I guarantee NetLogistics is not going to cover that cost for you.

Markz

Thanks guys.
I've decided to conduct a small experiment, results of it would be very handy and useful to everyone.
An hour ago I sent exactly the same email to both Netlogistics and Zuver. I wanted them to let me know if they charge any COR fees for transfer out [.com.au] domains. I even mentioned them that I would like them to reply "the sooner the better" because I want to transfer domains today.

Netlogistics replied in 7 minutes.
Zuver - hasn't replied yet.

Netlogistics reply - "You can transfer .com.au domains to us at free of cost. In future if the domains are moved away, there wont be any charges associated with the transfer".

I even went one step further, and to their above reply I sent them another email, telling them openly:
"I asked a couple domainers in Sydney and they were under impression that I might have misunderstood your "No-cost Modifications on Most Domains" and that this no-cost modification was referring to TLDs like .com , .net etc.
.au domains have a registry fee for COR, it would most likely be charged to the registrar, I doubt NetLogistics is going to cover that cost for me"....
:) [Thanks Joel for the info, came handy in my email]
Netlogistics reply to that: "We confirm that there is no fee associated with transfer out for any domains".

I will let everyone know when I hear from Zuver. But I like Netlogistics already.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I think you might be mixing up domain transfers and the Change of Registrant (CoR) process. Transferring a .au domain between registrars is always free. Initiating a CoR however will incur a fee.

They are two very different processes.

A Change of Registrant (CoR) is required in order to change the registrant of a .au domain name. The process essentially changes the Australian Business Number (ABN), Australian Company Number (ACN), or other eligibility type associated with the domain.

Transferring between registrars does not require a CoR (i.e. the registrant is not changing).

findtim

Top Contributor
demoniod is right, COR and transfer are separate things.
i have all my domains with crazyD , i had a problem last night and i thought " oh sh1t........ i have to ring them !!!! " , well i only had to want a few minutes which surprised me as it use to be 30mins + and then get hung up on.
this morning i had the same problem with a different domain, so i had to ring them again, same thing........ only a few minutes wait time and the guy explained the problem perfectly and even told me they were aware of it as he had already sent a ticket as other had the same problem.
so their service is DEFINITELY better since last time i called @ 6 months ago.

crazy D price varies too if you have an account or want to be a reseller, for most its $23 , reseller the lowest you can go is $20.62

tim

Markz

Thanks a lot! As always - the best!
LOL
Good lesson to pay attention when I read.
All the time I thought COR is the Change of Registrar but in fact it is the Change of Registrant.
Thanks again, much appreciated!

I think you might be mixing up domain transfers and the Change of Registrant (CoR) process. Transferring a .au domain between registrars is always free. Initiating a CoR however will incur a fee.

They are two very different processes.

A Change of Registrant (CoR) is required in order to change the registrant of a .au domain name. The process essentially changes the Australian Business Number (ABN), Australian Company Number (ACN), or other eligibility type associated with the domain.

Transferring between registrars does not require a CoR (i.e. the registrant is not changing).

Markz

Just a CoR price update:
VentarIP - $24.95
NetLogistics - $99
Zuver - $22

Zuver is the cheapest out of the above 3 on all fronts.

findtim

Top Contributor
Markz, one other thing to think of is the interface and how it works for you, some work better then others but what i have found is it normally is YOU thats the problem ( as in ME often ) we get use to using things a certain way.
if the process is logical for you its worth a few extra bucks
+ when enquiring, don't push the "sales" button on the phone, it will get answered quickly, push the "technical support", that will give you an idea of what lies ahead.
tim

Markz

Good point without any doubts. Much appreciated. Love this place [dntrade], feels like I'm part of a (domaining) family.
:)

Mark

findtim

Top Contributor
feels like I'm part of a (domaining) family.
and you will have knowledge we don't know about, share, have your say and do worry about people telling you are wrong, everyones opinion is just that, an opinion

tim

Markz

Guys, do you know if GD charges COR [Change of Registrant] as well? I have a few domains [.com.au] and will be selling them all to one guy shortly, need to find the cheapest way for him to have them under his name. My domains are currently in Netlogistics, Ventraip and Zuver. So the idea was [that's if GD doesn't charge COR] to transfer all of them across to my GD account [that guy is OK to cover 2 years renew fee] and then push them to his GD account [he's got ABN and some other .com.aus].
May be there are other options to avoid paying COR? I have never sold any .com.au before, what do you guys normally do?
Thanks in advance.

Mark

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Everyone in Australia has to charge COR. It is a rip off. Most extensions in other countries allow FREE COR using the remaining registration period and just a simple registrant name update.

If you think COR should be free in Australia also and the remaining registration period just transferred to the new registrant you can write to auDA and add your name to those who are already writing for this policy change. write to cameron.boardman@auda.org.au

auDA can easily do this. Let's see some innovation to support Australia's domain name system against global competitors :)

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Guys, do you know if GD charges COR [Change of Registrant] as well? I have a few domains [.com.au] and will be selling them all to one guy shortly, need to find the cheapest way for him to have them under his name. My domains are currently in Netlogistics, Ventraip and Zuver. So the idea was [that's if GD doesn't charge COR] to transfer all of them across to my GD account [that guy is OK to cover 2 years renew fee] and then push them to his GD account [he's got ABN and some other .com.aus].
May be there are other options to avoid paying COR? I have never sold any .com.au before, what do you guys normally do?
Thanks in advance.

Mark
There's always a fee for CoR, so there's no getting around that. Transfers between registrars are free for .au domains though.

Personally I would do the CoR first, then do the transfer. GoDaddy isn't great for .au domains and doing CoR through them could be a pain.

Scott7

Top Contributor
Personally I would do the CoR first, then do the transfer. GoDaddy isn't great for .au domains and doing CoR through them could be a pain.
Agreed. Ned wrote this article on Domainer that details what can go wrong with a COR at GoDaddy. Definitely best avoided.

Everyone in Australia has to charge COR. It is a rip off. Most extensions in other countries allow FREE COR using the remaining registration period and just a simple registrant name update.

If you think COR should be free in Australia also and the remaining registration period just transferred to the new registrant you can write to auDA and add your name to those who are already writing for this policy change. write to cameron.boardman@auda.org.au

auDA can easily do this. Let's see some innovation to support Australia's domain name system against global competitors :)

Hey Sean, it would be nice to have free COR, but the registry is not set up that way, it would require some significant changes at both the Registry and with Registrars. In .com world whenever you transfer domains between registrars you are forced to renew the domain for another year, while we have free inter registrar transfers. It's only really an issue if you buy a lot of after market domains.

I think the changes from 1 to 5 year registrations will resolve some of your concerns.

I agree that it is a good idea for auDA to regularly review policy and ensure that it is fit for purpose - I personally think there are some policies which have outlived their intended purpose. The CEO has already announced that auDA will be engaging in some policy review, that would be a good opportunity for you to raise some of your ideas. You and I both agree on giving auDRP Panels the power to award costs in cases of RDNH, that is one change I would personally like to see.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo