What's new

Eels.com.au?

Snooks

Top Contributor
I personally think what happened is very dissapointing and it seems to me that NetFleet are putting themselves in a position where their integrity can be questioned. Not too mention the incredible dissapointment that the " potential bidder" feels.

I would have thought this to be a very foolish move :(

chris

Top Contributor
I think one of the main things that everyone is wanting to know is how will this will affect them moving forward, what names will have BINs, time limits etc.? A lot of people here are active on the drop platforms so the changes are a big deal.

It would be great if Netfleet could please elaborate a little more on how this will work.

Cheers,
Chris

James

Top Contributor
I think in the end of the day if systems are changed, which effect the wider community and how a specific platform operates, for warning is needed.

Many of the users on here have spend thousands and thousands on Netfleet and been loyal customers over the years, so keeping the good will with customers and letting them know whats right and wrong.

That been said I think it was a case of the end user looking to acquire the domain quickly but that been said if preferential treatment is given to one party will it be the case for further dropped domains.

neddy

Top Contributor
Ned, I am sorry you could not bid on this one, and I understand your frustration at my cavalier response on the phone.

I'm not an eels supporter, nor am I not an eels supporter.

They did not ask for the BIN

Educating clients about drop and dntrade is good for the growth of the .au market even if they are competitors.

I'll try to make it up to you all over time.

Anthony, personally I like you. I also think you're an honest guy; and I certainly know you're very smart when it comes to drop catching.

But what you did yesterday (on behalf of Netfleet) was marketing dumbness imho. You've also created a lot of unnecessary ill feeling. (I've made my own position very clear in a private email to you and Mark. I won't elaborate on that here).

Had you sent an email out the day before to all your clients and said "as from tomorrow there are going to be some changes to the drop platform etc ......, then all this angst could have been avoided.

But do you know what the real irony is? You could have possibly sold the domain for more under standard drop auction conditions. You had a very motivated buyer in the P/Eels; you had another motivated buyer in me; and a third one that I know of who is equally peed off ( he emailed me last night, and I believe he has been in touch with you as well).

johno69

Top Contributor
I don't mind if the change comes in as long as it's fair for everyone. And I think it's crazy that it was done mid way through the auction. Either have the buy now button show as the list comes out, or don't have it at all.

Many buyers look when the list goes up, then return at the death to battle it out. No good if the rules change half way through the match.

pacifier

I don't get the part in red. Is that a suggestion of favours under the table? What about the others affected?

PS. I was not affected but statement like this looks very unprofessional

Ned, I am sorry you could not bid on this one, and I understand your frustration at my cavalier response on the phone.

I'm not an eels supporter, nor am I not an eels supporter.

They did not ask for the BIN

Educating clients about drop and dntrade is good for the growth of the .au market even if they are competitors.

I'll try to make it up to you all over time.

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
I've not checked any private emails yet, I am at a campsite right now.

I also have no access to tickets right now.

The user never asked for a buy now. The BIN was there for a few hours. There was no pre agreement to push the button.

All auctions are equal to me since last October, buyers made assumptions that drop ones are special I did not.

I try my best to make it all fair, and "potential bidders" are never happy. You guys don't care about all the "brand new" potential bidder you make unhappy every day with your various bidding methods and marketing techniques.

New buyers are at a huge disadvantage on our platform because of snipe bidding, I don't see any bleeding hearts for them.

You can all talk up the bids you nearly placed but this is not my first auction, in fact it is about my sixty thousandth one, so I know how it plays out!

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
I don't get the part in red. Is that a suggestion of favours under the table? What about the others affected?

WOW!

I meant I've been here for 6 years growing the .au market so you all make money, and I'll be around for another 6 years helping you turn coin!

I don't do favors and I tolerate so many snakes in the grass that it is a wonder I don't step on tails more often!

pacifier

I see this more like a business to business relationship and not one helping other. We pay for the service at the end and you are making coin too.

WOW!

I meant I've been here for 6 years growing the .au market so you all make money, and I'll be around for another 6 years helping you turn coin!

I don't do favors and I tolerate so many snakes in the grass that it is a wonder I don't step on tails more often!

neddy

Top Contributor
You guys don't care about all the "brand new" potential bidder you make unhappy every day with your various bidding methods and marketing techniques.

New buyers are at a huge disadvantage on our platform because of snipe bidding, I don't see any bleeding hearts for them.

You can all talk up the bids you nearly placed but this is not my first auction, in fact it is about my sixty thousandth one, so I know how it plays out!

Is there an emoticon for gobsmacked?

Oh well, this will do:

AnthonyP

Top Contributor

I see this more like a business to business relationship and not one helping other. We pay for the service at the end and you are making coin too.

There are b2b transactions but there is also a degree of goodwill I try to impart towards other people. This goodwill pays forward as those people talk about their helpful or pleasant experience and then via word of mouth more people hear about the aftermarket and we all get to make more deals.

This goodwill is important to me. There are other individuals who also work beyond what they get paid to improve the overall market. Erhan, George and Chris to name a few.

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
Is there an emoticon for gobsmacked?

Oh well, this will do:

Sorry about that my kids are upset that I am more interested in domain names than them.

I've not read your email yet... I know roasting a are supposed to be an ordeal to make me never want to cross swords with you again and when I see the look on my kids faces right now it hurts more than your words. So you succeeded in a double dose.

Why do I keep throwing wood on the fire?

neddy

Top Contributor
Why do I keep throwing wood on the fire?

I don't know Anthony. But your recent comments really riled me me up. Hence the gobsmacked comment. Especially considering I have spent nearly $55k with NF over the past 12 months. And others have probably spent more.

As I said in my email (and somewhere on here), it's not personal. You're a nice guy - but if your clients can't give you honest feedback, then it's a sad situation. Even when I ran this forum and accepted advertising dollars from sponsors, it never stopped me from giving my honest opinion on things (plenty of good positive comments too!) - without fear or favour.

Enjoy your camping and kids, and perhaps address things on Monday. :)

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
Okay guys I'm going to try give it a rest. Thanks for the smile, my phone is not allowing me to add emoticons so here is an old school :)

DavidL

Top Contributor
Struggling to understand why you're so upset, Ned.

Anthony makes a chance in the auctions which gives an end user an opportunity that other regular customers might not have known about.

He apologises because, as we all know, it's the regular loyal customers that should always come first. I get that, I really do.

However in reality, none of our regular customers were going to pay more than $4k anyway so practically speaking there was zero harm done

Isn't that the size of it? Does it really justify a 4 page thread with you manning the phones and emails 24/7 whipping up support? When Drop did the same a while ago, there was barely a mention.

neddy

Top Contributor
Struggling to understand why you're so upset, Ned.

Really David? Re-read the thread then - and not just my posts, but those of others. I'm getting a feeling of déjà vu here.

Have to ask - are you speaking in your private capacity, or on behalf of Netfleet which you have a financial interest in?

I did send Anthony an email on Friday evening (and copied Mark and you in) which explained the strength of my concerns. No reply as yet, but perhaps on Monday.

This is not a vendetta against Netfleet - but I do feel upset about what happened (and the subsequent responses).

And most importantly, it's not just about the domain name eels.com.au - it's about the principle of what happened. It could have been any domain.

Please allow me to make some key observations:

1. In simple terms, the goal posts were moved on the day without warning to anyone. Had minimum notice been given to your customers, and everyone was aware of the situation, then this would not be a 4, 5 or 6 page thread. Prior communication solves a lot of ills.

2. I never saw the buy it now button; nor did many others. It was apparently there, then it was gone.

3. How do you know that there wouldn't have been other bidders? Why do you assume that regular customers wouldn't have paid more in a mad bidding environment? You have always been a great advocate of competition and getting two or more buyers into an auction situation.

By the way, what did Drop do? Please remind us, because I can't recall.

Finally, some quotes from the thread by customers I presume you respect?

I believe we should have received proper notice of any changes and have mentioned this to Anthony today.

I think in the end of the day if systems are changed, which effect the wider community and how a specific platform operates, for warning is needed.

Many of the users on here have spend thousands and thousands on Netfleet and been loyal customers over the years, so keeping the good will with customers and letting them know whats right and wrong.

That been said I think it was a case of the end user looking to acquire the domain quickly but that been said if preferential treatment is given to one party will it be the case for further dropped domains.

I don't mind if the change comes in as long as it's fair for everyone. And I think it's crazy that it was done mid way through the auction. Either have the buy now button show as the list comes out, or don't have it at all.

Many buyers look when the list goes up, then return at the death to battle it out. No good if the rules change half way through the match.

I'd have to say the domain has ended up with the most appropriate end user, but there definitely should have been more notice given for such a major change.

How is this going to work from now on? If an expired domain comes up that we're willing to bid decent money for, should we call you to negotiate a BIN price?

I'm not buying many domains these days, but do think Netfleet have made a bad decision here.

The fact is Netfleet have a good thing going with their drop system and to suddenly without notice make a change today was very unfair to those that were wanting to bid.

Where is the loyalty to your regular bidders, you've lost all credibility by doing this.

My 2 cents worth.

Don

A game changer [i got some eel tickets if you want em but first, can you put a bin price on a domain dropping tomorrow so no-one else buys it?]

i actually hope this type of transaction was the first and last time it occurs - I have always believed the auction to be honest and competitive, this type of transaction is anti-competitive and raises suspicion and innuendo about each transaction.

Don't implement a BIN on expired domain names its a mistake.

"WOW"

collusion and anti-competative "seriously"

It's your business, so I guess you can do what you want.

My point remains - tell your customers in advance if you intend to make changes.

My comments are not "sour grapes" - to use a rugby league analogy (which seems appropriate here), I just appreciate a level playing field; and goal posts that don't get shifted when I'm about to try and kick a goal.

neddy

Top Contributor
Last night I happily agreed to give Anthony time out given he was away with his kids. Then DavidL poured fuel on the fire this morning, so I couldn’t help but respond. ;) I apologise for that.

Therefore I’ve decided to make this my final post on the subject. I will not be pursuing it further. I've made my genuine concerns publicly - and of course privately with the powers that be at NF.

What’s happened has happened – it’s done. I sincerely hope lessons are learned from it. So now it’s a get on with life situation for me.

However, for whatever it is worth, I offer up two final thoughts from an old fart:

• If NF were PR savvy, they wouldn’t be trying to defend their actions. They should be saying – “sorry guys, we stuffed up. Shouldn’t have done this without notice; won’t happen again unless everyone has been forewarned – our sincere apologies to all”. And that probably would be the end of it.

• Can you imagine if the top drop catcher in the USA did exactly the same thing and allowed one person to get the domain prior to the stated time of auction closing? The forums / blogs would be in overdrive from hundreds if not thousands of people. Public Relations melt down big time.

Over and out.

Cheers, Ned

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
I'd like to apologise again for not providing forewarning to customers. I made a mistake in not providing this forewarning.

Thanks for all the honest feedback.

I'd like to open a new thread tomorrow to discuss the possibilities for keeping existing clients and interested parties in the loop when adding a BIN price to a loaded auction. This discussion would apply to all auctions so it would also be relevant to sellers who might be interested in retrospectively adding BIN prices to their auctions.

In the mean time I need to sort out some unrelated issues which arose on Friday and require urgent attention.

helloworld

Top Contributor
If someone could refill my popcorn it would be much appreciated.

Though this domain is way out of my budget in any case, I can definitely appreciate what has transpired it does not come off well. That said, my experience with Netfleet has been nothing but perfect in the past.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo