What's new

Eels.com.au?

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
I decided to go with a buy now price for this one, also sent them your details so they could be sure to get it

neddy

Top Contributor
What happened on the drops today with Eels.com.au is utter bullsh*t imo.

I'm talking about Netfleet - not Drop.

And I'm not talking AMA - I'm talking drops.

Basically, with no notice to anyone, Netfleet decided to accept a BIN price (Buy It Now) on this expiring domain at least an hour before the domain auction finished.

One minute the domain was being bid on, and then all of a sudden it was "off the market". Closed to all other bids. It was sold to some private bidder.

Remember, this is an expiring domain on the official auDA list - yet Netfleet decided in their wisdom (without prior notice to any of their customers), to change the terms of the auction and put a price on it and sell it to one particular buyer.

Everyone that I know and talk with in the domaining community competes on the drops in an equal environment. Best bid at 1pm wins the domain.

Thats fair - and how it should be. This is from their page.
Selling Today (No Reserve)

The domain names listed below are NO RESERVE AUCTIONS. This is the last chance to secure these domain names ahead of your competitors as the auction ends today. If there are any bids on a domain name - they WILL SELL to the highest bidder come close of auction.

Bolding is mine for emphasis.

I rang Anthony about this. His exact words to me that this was a "new marketing initiative". :eek: I was both amazed and incensed.

Netfleet, if you're going to change the ground rules on how bidding on the Drops work, how about letting your loyal customers know first! Give them advance notice.

Can you not see the slippery slope that you have now created?

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
I am sorry for not providing more warning to customers, I have been too slow with keeping information flowing with regards to work we are doing in the background. This is part of my stategy to have a seamless integration between Drops and the Aftermarket. This was one of the ideas we trialled first on the Aftermarket and then applied to the Drops. I feel that the general public, who the auctions are now aimed at, don't differentiate between dropping and aftermarket domains and I want to use similar rules and innovations for all auctions.

Some of the ideas we have been working on this year are starting to show traction and I am hoping to start offering these services to clients on the aftermarket soon.

I will endeavour to set buy now prices earlier in the process to ensure that all parties see them at the same time.

neddy

Top Contributor
I am sorry for not providing more warning to customers, I have been too slow with keeping information flowing with regards to work we are doing in the background. This is part of my stategy to have a seamless integration between Drops and the Aftermarket. This was one of the ideas we trialled first on the Aftermarket and then applied to the Drops. I feel that the general public, who the auctions are now aimed at, don't differentiate between dropping and aftermarket domains and I want to use similar rules and innovations for all auctions.

Some of the ideas we have been working on this year are starting to show traction and I am hoping to start offering these services to clients on the aftermarket soon.

I will endeavour to set buy now prices earlier in the process to ensure that all parties see them at the same time.

Anthony, I would have thought that it is standard business practise (and ethics) to advise customers in advance of a change in "terms of trade". Not spring it on us as a fait accompli.

A lot of us only bid right at the end, and thus we were denied the opportunity to bid on this if we wanted to. I wanted to!

So what this now means is that (just as an example) Greg Roebuck can ring you up when he sees a nice car domain and negotiate a BIN price with you - and thus take it off the market, and preclude anyone else bidding on the name.

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
Netfleet runs a combined auction system and have since October last year.

Lots of domains are sold for their "buy now" price and do not run to the end of time. When a "buy now" button is pressed the auction ends for that domain. The domain does remain on the page for others who are following it.

I am sorry for not setting the buy now price earlier, it was a bit of an experiment and I made the call early this morning to try it out.

I aim to have this process more streamlined so that the BIN price will be set as the Selling today view is populated, so that it is 100% fair for all.

I need to run now to the Sydney meet up, so I cannot respond to this thread until later tonight or even tomorrow if Tim gets talking.

Shane

Top Contributor
I'd have to say the domain has ended up with the most appropriate end user, but there definitely should have been more notice given for such a major change.

How is this going to work from now on? If an expired domain comes up that we're willing to bid decent money for, should we call you to negotiate a BIN price?

neddy

Top Contributor
I am sorry for not setting the buy now price earlier, it was a bit of an experiment and I made the call early this morning to try it out.

It's your business, so I guess you can do what you want.

My point remains - tell your customers in advance if you intend to make changes.

What you did today smacks of opportunism and favouritism. That's how I see it - and I know I'm not alone.

Just a little reminder about the old backorder system. Do you remember when this was being queried? Some premium domains were excluded. This is what Mark Lye said back then:

One of the fairest options for "big" domain names, like two letter domains, is to allow them to go to public auction so everyone has a chance to bid.

https://www.dntrade.com.au/netfleet-com-au/3373-backorder-service.html#post24385

My comments are not "sour grapes" - to use a rugby league analogy (which seems appropriate here), I just appreciate a level playing field; and goal posts that don't get shifted when I'm about to try and kick a goal.

acheeva

Top Contributor
I believe that any initiatives by NetFleet to give buyers a higher level of service need to be applauded.

The market needs continual pro-active initiatives to introduce new buyers.

Not sure that this buyer is one that offers them long-term value though and there would be others more worthy of a "concierge" style treatment?

I do agree that the lack of notice of this change in the auction process is concerning; but it was probably a good test case as I doubt that there are that many eel farmers or distributors willing to monetize this domain or pay that price.

The fact that BIN prices will be displayed in the future (as I understand Anthony's comments) solves those concerns.

PS...I would wager that someone at NetFleet is an "eels" supporter.

geodomains

Top Contributor
I'm not buying many domains these days, but do think Netfleet have made a bad decision here.

The fact is Netfleet have a good thing going with their drop system and to suddenly without notice make a change today was very unfair to those that were wanting to bid.

Where is the loyalty to your regular bidders, you've lost all credibility by doing this.

My 2 cents worth.

Don

neddy

Top Contributor
I believe that any initiatives by NetFleet to give buyers a higher level of service need to be applauded.

The market needs continual pro-active initiatives to introduce new buyers.

Not sure that this buyer is one that offers them long-term value though and there would be others more worthy of a "concierge" style treatment?

I do agree that the lack of notice of this change in the auction process is concerning; but it was probably a good test case as I doubt that there are that many eel farmers or distributors willing to monetize this domain or pay that price.

The fact that BIN prices will be displayed in the future (as I understand Anthony's comments) solves those concerns.

PS...I would wager that someone at NetFleet is an "eels" supporter.

My concern is that Netfleet quite clearly state that the highest bidder at 1pm will win the auction (talking "drops" here").

To make such a change without notice is unbelievable.

As I said previously, it's their business, and they can do what they want. But common courtesy dictates that they advise of changes in advance.

As far as "eel farmers or distributors" are concerned, have you ever heard of fan sites? Perfectly legitimate use of the domain. OMG own "doggies.com.au".

Scott.L

Top Contributor
A game changer [i got some eel tickets if you want em but first, can you put a bin price on a domain dropping tomorrow so no-one else buys it?]

i actually hope this type of transaction was the first and last time it occurs - I have always believed the auction to be honest and competitive, this type of transaction is anti-competitive and raises suspicion and innuendo about each transaction.

Don't implement a BIN on expired domain names its a mistake.

"WOW"
I decided to go with a buy now price for this one, also sent them your details so they could be sure to get it

collusion and anti-competative "seriously"

Last edited:

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I'm not buying many domains these days, but do think Netfleet have made a bad decision here.

The fact is Netfleet have a good thing going with their drop system and to suddenly without notice make a change today was very unfair to those that were wanting to bid.

Where is the loyalty to your regular bidders, you've lost all credibility by doing this.

My 2 cents worth.

Don

Totally agree with this.

Netfleets changes such as these below made me lose a little love also..Im sure there is many others users have come across:

1. Commission on all sales ( standard listings used to be free no commission)

2. No more first bidder $10 discount

3. All domain purchases attract a Buyer's Premium of $49.95 AUD on top of winning bid amount

4. More expensive renewals via sister entity "netregistry" at $49.95 ( competitors less than half that now)

5. Standard listings / recent bids not being promoted on home page anymore and harder to find now means a lot less chance of selling standard listing names as sales results have proven since that change

neddy

Top Contributor
Totally agree with this.

changes such as these made me lose a little love also:

1. Commission on all sales ( standard listings used to be free no commission)

2. No more first bidder $10 discount

3. All domain purchases attract a Buyer's Premium of $49.95 AUD on top of winning bid amount

4. More expensive renewals via sister entity "netregistry" at $49.95 ( competitors less than half that now)

5. Standard listings / recent bids not being promoted on home page anymore and harder to find now means a lot less chance of selling standard listing names as sales results have proven since that change

I think what it comes down to is "unilateral unannounced changes". That's what customers don't like or respect.

If you want to make changes to your business model, then fair enough. But give people advance notice so that they can be aware.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Anthony, I would have thought that it is standard business practise (and ethics) to advise customers in advance of a change in "terms of trade". Not spring it on us as a fait accompli.

A lot of us only bid right at the end, and thus we were denied the opportunity to bid on this if we wanted to. I wanted to!

So what this now means is that (just as an example) Greg Roebuck can ring you up when he sees a nice car domain and negotiate a BIN price with you - and thus take it off the market, and preclude anyone else bidding on the name.

Very good points!!

Cant see what netfleet are trying to do here, many once loyal supporters question our support. Netfleet would not have grown or succeeded without the support of many members on this forum.. now they dont need the support things seem to have changed!

At the end of the day most I wonder if most sellers & buyers using netfleet would still be members of this forum?

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
Ned, I am sorry you could not bid on this one, and I understand your frustration at my cavalier response on the phone.

I'm not an eels supporter, nor am I not an eels supporter.

They did not ask for the BIN

Educating clients about drop and dntrade is good for the growth of the .au market even if they are competitors.

I'll try to make it up to you all over time.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo