What's new

Drops today - November 2012

snoopy

Top Contributor
nice pickup zhen, the breakeven point on that should be quite quick

tim

Gee you make it sound so easy. Now this is a great name & one of the best to drop for a while but development is a risky business in my view. It might do really well, it might do really average, it might not work out at all. Its is going to be a hard road.

findtim

Top Contributor
Gee you make it sound so easy. Now this is a great name & one of the best to drop for a while but development is a risky business in my view. It might do really well, it might do really average, it might not work out at all. Its is going to be a hard road.

we all know you aren't into development, why is dev risky? he might have contacts in the industry !

if dev was risky we would all be looking at parked domains that link to parked domains................

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
we all know you aren't into development, why is dev risky? he might have contacts in the industry !

Because most projects do not work out. It is like any business, most fail. Thankfully the buyer is starting with the best domain possible, so if it doesn't work he has an asset still.

if dev was risky we would all be looking at parked domains that link to parked domains................

tim

Well there a lot of that in the domain industry, if it were easy we wouldn't mainly see parking, MFA, affiliate stuff.

chris

Top Contributor
the value of names like that tend to go up and down

...... (oh spacey you've done it again)

Just make sure visitors don't bounce when they hit your site.

All jokes aside, brilliant name zhenjie. Well done :)

Cheers,
Chris

findtim

Top Contributor
Because most projects do not work out. It is like any business, most fail.

yes they do fail, but i do not think the choice between dev and park is the reason, it gets back to the strategy.

are you trashing my statement or are you making an assumption that zhen does know what he is doing?

he stated that

Just the right domain to fit into my ecomm strategy

obviously he is going to develop it, obviously he knows what he is doing, we all saw the domain up for grabs, you said it was a good one and zhen got it, congrats, you don't spend $5K on something without a plan.

can't wait to see it.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
yes they do fail, but i do not think the choice between dev and park is the reason, it gets back to the strategy.

are you trashing my statement or are you making an assumption that zhen does know what he is doing?

I am trashing your statement, "the breakeven point on that should be quite quick". That is a nonsense statement in my view.

obviously he is going to develop it, obviously he knows what he is doing, we all saw the domain up for grabs, you said it was a good one and zhen got it, congrats, you don't spend $5K on something without a plan.

can't wait to see it.

tim

Don't know about you but of the sites I start probably 80% are complete failures, 15% are mediocre and maybe 5% do well, I don't think others are really any different so to go around pretending it is going to be easy to make the money back is nonsense in my view. If development were easy we'd all be driving Maserati's rather than Mazda's.

I don't know if Zhen has a plan or not, if he has a plan it will involve risk of it not working out.

findtim

Top Contributor
I am trashing your statement, "the breakeven point on that should be quite quick". That is a nonsense statement in my view.

ohh where do i start :rolleyes: , if you can't see the potential then why fight for the negative?

Don't know about you but of the sites I start probably 80% are complete failures, 15% are mediocre and maybe 5% do well, I don't think others are really any different so to go around pretending it is going to be easy to make the money back is nonsense in my view. If development were easy we'd all be driving Maserati's rather than Mazda's.

I don't know if Zhen has a plan or not, if he has a plan it will involve risk of it not working out.

hold back tim, hold back tim.............. your answer is in your own words, i'm sitting here struggling to find a domain that i have STARTED that isn't in profit and i would say they all go into profit VERY quickly, as for my domains i haven't started yet, they are in profit :eek: as they are leveraged against my domain name management and hosting business.

if you are on 80% failure rate then you need to talk to me at the xmas party, bring your wallet.

tim

aus11

Top Contributor
Interesting to see 3 number domains already at $124 considering Snoopy basically couldn't give away 40.com.au.

snoopy

Top Contributor
ohh where do i start :rolleyes: , if you can't see the potential then why fight for the negative?

Tim, the comment you made is simply nonsense, it isn't about not being able to see the potential, I said it was one of the best domains to drop in a fair while, it is about being realistic about the risk involved.

hold back tim, hold back tim.............. your answer is in your own words, i'm sitting here struggling to find a domain that i have STARTED that isn't in profit and i would say they all go into profit VERY quickly, as for my domains i haven't started yet, they are in profit :eek: as they are leveraged against my domain name management and hosting business.

if you are on 80% failure rate then you need to talk to me at the xmas party, bring your wallet.

tim

It is a bit like the gambler who says he never loses, do I believe the above...not really, unless you haven't developed much. If every business you started was a success & you were regularly starting new things you'd be turning up to the xmas party in a Ferrari, I'll have a look out the window when I get there.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Interesting to see 3 number domains already at $124 considering Snoopy basically couldn't give away 40.com.au.

That fits in with what I've been thinking, that the drop market is way ahead of what people can actually sell for in the aftermarket.

40.com.au sold for $399, basically break even or maybe a loss, I haven't bother ed to calculate it exactly.

Mark

Top Contributor
That fits in with what I've been thinking, that the drop market is way ahead of what people can actually sell for in the aftermarket.

40.com.au sold for $399, basically break even or maybe a loss, I haven't bother ed to calculate it exactly.

They are "aftermarket" domains.

Mark

Top Contributor
Cheers, seems these are 2 number domains, rather than 3 number.

45.com.au $124
14.com.au $124
12.com.au $124

Ah I see...bit of a misunderstanding - I think he meant there are three numerical domains, not NNNs...

aus11

Top Contributor

Didn't realise you sold it. That makes these ones today make more sense.

Ah I see...bit of a misunderstanding - I think he meant there are three numerical domains, not NNNs...

Exactly. I was talking about the number of domains for sale, not the amount of characters, but I can see how it would be taken the other way.

findtim

Top Contributor
It is a bit like the gambler who says he never loses, do I believe the above...not really, unless you haven't developed much. If every business you started was a success & you were regularly starting new things you'd be turning up to the xmas party in a Ferrari, I'll have a look out the window when I get there.

i do nicely thankyou, and yes every domain i have started is in the black, no need for a ferrari right now, even if i could afford it i wouldn't buy it.

lets stop this "who has the biggest wand " conversation.

i'm glad you are coming to the xmas party, would you mind posting that in that thread.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members