What's new

Domain name registration adds $475 million to Australian economy

chris

Top Contributor
Australian domain names (using ‘.au’) contributed $474.7 million to the economy last financial year, according to a new report from Deloitte Access Economics.

Deloitte’s probe found that 60,000 new domain names are being registered each month, compared to just 6,552 back in December 2002. The sector employs 4,330 people in full-time work, and pays out $275.7 million each year in wages.

Back in August of 2011, there were 2.18 million domain names registered in Australia. The most popular type of domain was .com.au, with 85% of registrations, followed by .net.au with 10.99% and .org.au with 2.33%, with minor extension types making up the remainder.

You can read the full article at NETT and Deloitte's report here.

Cheers,
Chris

this is a really interesting and important report, which auDA commissioned along with Ausregistry. It has been out for sometime, but the only one of its kind as far as I know.

Worth a read!

findtim

Top Contributor
Smaller businesses posted worse results, with 51% of those with 5-19 employees having a website and just 29% of businesses with 0-4 employees having registered a name.

huge opportunity for domainers and developers, i've got clients with only 2-3 employees who i have had to kick and shout to get them to get online. 100% ........ yes 100% of them have all come back to me and said it was a great decision to finally get online.

once involved most come back wanting more and more online services.

i personally can see no reason for any negatives in the .com.au market.

tim

Last edited:

goldnugget

Top Contributor
From the report:

One other factor that may motivate the use of the new gTLDs is the increasing scarcity of .com and .au domain names. This is due primarily to overall increased web presence by organisations and individuals, but in some cases may be due to spurious activity such as squatter registrations and the subsequent high cost of purchasing in the secondary market.

Interesting that the report ordered by the main bodies in AU domaining refer to domainers (speculators etc, whatever)as squatters.

findtim

Top Contributor
From the report:

Interesting that the report ordered by the main bodies in AU domaining refer to domainers (speculators etc, whatever)as squatters.

yes interesting given how long domain names have been for open sale to EVERYONE.

my view is if you are a "dubbo dentist" and haven't registered that domain by 2013 then its just your fault, if you are harryconnelldentist ( in dubbo) and someone regs that name well then you do have a reason to get angry.

domains are like a new estate that has a million blocks of land, its been for sale for years so don't bitch that you came late to market, land gets bought and sold constantly and domains are no different.

if anything i feel pissed off with myself for not seeing the opportunity sooner and do not begrudge anyone for getting in earlier.

eg: knowing now what i know now i would have bought a completely different bunch of domains 10 years ago, and everyone would say that.

tim

goldnugget

Top Contributor
The way I see it is that you pay for a licence and you have control of that licence as you see fit as long as it is within the law. Just as in physical realestate that is leased from the state, mining companies with exploration and mining leases and so on.

Just because you are a domain speculator doesnt give people the right to call and label you as a squatter, you pay for the right to use the domain in a legal way and that is that. If people go around registering domains to purposefully target trademarks and business names and expecting to filter off their rightful traffic, diferent story in my view.

I personaly would really like to see the likes of AuDa coming out and publicly defining the diference between domainers and squatters and even go so far as request any reports like these to be better defined so that the public can have some idea of what is and what isnt acceptable in the industry as a whole.

Thats my rant for now....:)

johno69

Top Contributor
If people go around registering domains to purposefully target trademarks and business names and expecting to filter off their rightful traffic, different story in my view.

This is happening every day and right under everyone's noses and auda have said they are not pro active in policing it.

So with that attitude I don't see it changing any time soon.

goldnugget

Top Contributor
This is happening every day and right under everyone's noses and auda have said they are not pro active in policing it.

So with that attitude I don't see it changing any time soon.

If thats the case, then it seems counterproductive (to me) to promote an industry for people to get onboard yet allow true squatters to do their thing without clarifying openly and publicly the diference between domainers, developers, parkers & squatters to clean up public perceptions of various aspects of the domaining industry.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member