What's new

Domain Leasing ???

Australian Adult

I contacted auda re domain leasing..
This is the reply i got ....

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry.

.au Domain Administration polices do not address leasing or sub-leasing of .au domain names.

Should you wish to engage in sub-leasing the use of a domain name to another party, that is up to you.

Should a complaint be lodged about the relationship of the registrant of the domain name and the entity utilising the domain name, you need to be aware that such a relationship is not considered to be sufficient warranty to continue holding the domain name licence. The possibility could be that the domain name is deleted and be available to be registered on a first come, first served basis to the first eligible party.

Kind Regards,

So by my reading, its not something auda wants to touch upon..

DomainNames

Top Contributor
is it allowed in the .com extension? Why should australia have a different rule.. why also does AUDA still allow such an unfair policy as they state "Should a complaint be lodged about the relationship of the registrant of the domain name and the entity utilising the domain name, you need to be aware that such a relationship is not considered to be sufficient warranty to continue holding the domain name licence. The possibility could be that the domain name is deleted and be available to be registered on a first come, first served basis to the first eligible party."

If you buy a name you should be ableto do whatever you want with it using the same rules as a .com.

Australia and AUDA needs to get rid of all the red tape and old out of date policies it has hurt the internet, ecommerce, free enterprise and business in Australia for too long. Why not just have the same .com.au policy as the .com policy now... The .com rules and policy works a lot better with less red tape and policy confusion.

Last edited:

shags38

Top Contributor
My view is that unless there is an express prohibition (which there currently isn't) you can sub-licence your domain name. auDA may take a different view. I have seen this take place first hand in dozens of situations.

auDA is seeking feedback on this point and many others like Monetisation. Sub Licensing domains is critical to SME business, most savvy business people licence all of their IP (domain names, trademarks, business names etc) to trading entities (for IP protection).

I recommend that everyone provide feedback to the current auDA Names Panel, the issues the panel is looking at are of critical importance to domainers and small business. I strongly recommend that everyone review the discussion paper and send in your views by email - details are here

I agree totally with all that you have said, especially the first two paragraphs which in my view make fundamental business commonsense.

To lease a domain doesn't mean the lessee has to develop the site, in most cases it would purely be a redirect to their site(s) - e.g. leasing the domain cars.com.au and redirecting it to carsales.com.au - there is no need to develop the former. If the name is good enough to generate traffic then it is a viable leasing option to a potential client - in effect you are leasing the traffic, the leased agreement would essentially be based on agreed traffic volume so you the owner of the site continue to maintain and develop the site which further increases its value and hence its value to a potential new lessee at the expiry of the existing lease :).

In fact as the term of the lease progresses and the site is further developed and attracting greater search volume the lessee would pay accordingly on a sliding scale to an agreed maximum - conversely the lease fees are reduced if traffic volumes fall below an agreed minimum. It really can be a have your cake and eat it too for parked sites with traffic volume but no or low ppc revenue (like mine given that I am banned from adsense :( ) if indeed they are monetised at all.

So lease the traffic, not the name :) - auDA cannot stop that :D

Another aspect is that the domain does not have to be an AU - it can be a dot COM site hosted in Australia which carries the same "credibility" and Google juice as a .net.au or com.au domain (much cheaper to register as well as obviating any archaic auDA rules) - (if hosted offshore the credibility juice factor drops substantially). Many here would have some good dot coms, the valuable traffic from which could be leased to Australian businesses if hosting was set up in Australia, I know I have a few.

For the smart entrepreneur there could be a significant business opportunity in setting up a business that did nothing but lease internet traffic (and not necessarily from just your own domains). I have some ideas if anyone is interested in discussing the possibilities further - pm me maybe ;)

cheers,
Mike

you can sell an egg laying chicken once or you can sell eggs for years and keep the chicken

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member