What's new

Domain appraisals on .com.au's

snoopy

Top Contributor
I see the big boys throwing cash everywhere to get their hands on multimedia assets -
MelbIT $39 million acquisition of digital agency WME Group. 01/05/17
DN8 [CrazyD] $2.5 million acquisition of Net Logistics [hosting] 04/04/17
why? SMB are realising its worth it.

What does that have to do with .com.au domaining?

Scott.L

Top Contributor
What does that have to do with .com.au domaining?

You dont go about buying big on digital assets unless there is a local market worth servicing. These guys and you all know there is alot more registration legs in the .com.au space. Why do you think CrazyD has targeted NetLogistics, partnered with dropsuit, snuggled up with zippay and placed its own director on the auDA board?

Domainnames - dont hijack

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Well said. Fact is whatever you paid for the .com that chance of making a profit is good whereas I am wading in the swamp with the .com.au. No offers in 5 years! Not even 50 cents!
You still didn't answer my previous question: https://www.dntrade.com.au/threads/domain-appraisals-on-com-aus.11282/page-4#post-84852

I'd still like to know! Clearly your experience in the local market has been abysmal, but I think it's important to get some context of your circumstances (i.e. the scale of your investment in .au domains).

It's also fair to say that very product-specific domains have taken a big hit across all extensions, including .com. I don't think that's a news flash to anyone.

Domains like downlights.com.au and downlights.com would both be worth a lot less now than they were some years ago.
Broader category-defining domains like 'lights.com' or 'lighting.com' (and indeed the .com.au equivalents) would have retained their value.

snoopy

Top Contributor
You dont go about buying big on digital assets unless there is a local market worth servicing. These guys and you all know there is alot more registration legs in the .com.au space. Why do you think CrazyD has targeted NetLogistics, partnered with dropsuit, snuggled up with zippay and placed its own director on the auDA board?

Domainnames - dont hijack

Think you need to seperate registration growth from domain values these are quite different things.

But anyway, I disagree with the comment that "there is alot more registration legs in the .com.au space".

Look at the graph,

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 8.58.49 am.png
2% growth rate!

This is why Ausregistry got into a great big flap about "how can we grow the market". The engine has stalled, Ausregistry proposed solution was to try and "double up". Get people to pay twice. That is short term thinking and it means long term credibility damage to .com.au.

In terms of endusers using domains, the market is massively oversupplied with domains, combined with a decline in the relevance of EMD's this is why the .com.au market is not strong. Most businesses use it but 3 million registrations is an "oversupplied" market, that is why .com.au numbers will begin to fall in coming years regardless of whether .au comes in.

snoopy

Top Contributor
You still didn't answer my previous question: https://www.dntrade.com.au/threads/domain-appraisals-on-com-aus.11282/page-4#post-84852

I'd still like to know! Clearly your experience in the local market has been abysmal, but I think it's important to get some context of your circumstances (i.e. the scale of your investment in .au domains).

It's also fair to say that very product-specific domains have taken a big hit across all extensions, including .com. I don't think that's a news flash to anyone.

Domains like downlights.com.au and downlights.com would both be worth a lot less now than they were some years ago.
Broader category-defining domains like 'lights.com' or 'lighting.com' (and indeed the .com.au equivalents) would have retained their value.

I own about 20 .com.au's give or take, have spent a fair bit of time looking at .com.au over the years, what a waste. Every time I dabble in it the results are the same...shitty returns!

Agree on downlight.com.au being worth a lot less now, let me tell you I'm down about it! I also think lighting.com.au etc is worth a lot less now.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I own about 20 .com.au's give or take, have spent a fair bit of time looking at .com.au over the years, what a waste. Every time I dabble in it the results are the same...shitty returns!

Agree on downlight.com.au being worth a lot less now, let me tell you I'm down about it! I also think lighting.com.au etc is worth a lot less now.
Thanks for sharing that info.

I know that you have a few great .com.au domains, so if you're ever looking to 'fire sale' your holdings - keep me in mind! ;)

I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for the local market if you've had poor results investing your time and money in .com.au domains.

No doubt your sentiment has also been influenced by the great success that you've had investing in .com domains.

I asked about the scale of your investment in .com.au domains, because further to the all important quality metric, I also think quantity plays a role in the returns generated.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it's good to put some context to the different results that people are seeing.

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
I asked about the scale of your investment in .com.au domains, because further to the all important quality metric, I also think quantity plays a role in the returns generated.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it's good to put some context to the different results that people are seeing.

I don't think so myself, the reason why I hardly own any is because they returns have been bad, chicken and egg, what came first the domains or the bad returns? Well the domains came first, .com did well, .com.au didn't. Every time I have looked again at .com.au I have discovered the same thing.

Who makes a living .com.au domaining? I keep asking this question over and over. If they ever send me the the loony bin I'll be yelling "Who has ever made a living.com.au domaining!"

So far I know of 1 person, I've asked the question at least 100 times.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
I don't think so myself, the reason why I hardly own any is because they returns have been bad, chicken and egg, what came first the domains or the bad returns? Well the domains came first, .com did well, .com.au didn't. Every time I have looked again at .com.au I have discovered the same thing.

Who makes a living .com.au domaining? I keep asking this question over and over. If they ever send me the the loony bin I'll be yelling "Who has ever made a living.com.au domaining!"

So far I know of 1 person, I've asked the question at least 100 times.

Value investing is based on the belief that the aftermarket eventually values domain names appropriately and that temporary fluctuations in sale prices will correct themselves over time.

I dont like to compare ccTLD's in terms of market pricing. But, in reference to sales activity .com.au is king. the consistent number of "spikes" in the .com.au sales chart is a clear indication of heightened market tensions for decent domains compared to .co.uk - Again, this is not to suggest that .co.uk is not active, it is very active however, .co.uk price spikes are irregular leading to conclude .co.uk premium names are tightly held whilst combination keywords are equally valued.

.co.uk
upload_2017-5-6_13-51-0.png

com.au
upload_2017-5-6_13-51-21.png

the .com.au market is incredibly active -

snoopy

Top Contributor
Scott, I think all that chart shows is that .co.uk had one massive sale around 200k which has messed up the scaling making fluctuations harder to see.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Scott, I think all that chart shows is that .co.uk had one massive sale around 200k which has messed up the scaling making fluctuations harder to see.

true. I think the namebio chart has not recorded bigger sales, like investmentproperty, toys, etc...? remembering this is not a comparison in prices between .co.uk and .com.au its designed to highlight the activity of sales compared to a GIANT like .co.uk -
I.e. sales like cruises sold for over $1,000,000.00 compared to the $100,000.00+ for the .com.au

so I compiled some of the namebio data into a spreedsheet

upload_2017-5-6_15-42-13.png

Based on Past 100 sales as recorded on namebio:

.com.au $408,204.00 TOTAL
.co.uk $393,726.00 TOTAL
The past 100 sales in terms of value appear comparable, IMHO not bad for a market 3 times bigger than our own.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Aha! So, is it the case that DNJournal will no longer accept sales data from Netfleet?

I don't know if that is still the case. Years ago I complained to dnjournal about sales being reported that had not been paid for as yet and Ron banned all their sales. David was angry in the exteme, he is still angry.

Scott7

Top Contributor
I don't know if that is still the case. Years ago I complained to dnjournal about sales being reported that had not been paid for as yet and Ron banned all their sales. David was angry in the exteme, he is still angry.
Very interesting. Thanks.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Generally I do not disclose my sales. Some of the names I have sold have gone on to make massive extra profits for the buyers. Some are now the biggest in their space online.

I have had a lot of com.au sales of $xxx,xxx, $xx,xxx and a ton of $x,xxx.

Snoopy if you want to sell up your best .com.au names PM me. I am serious if the names are good.

Personally I would say my domain name portfolio would be one of the best in Australia. I have been offered 7 figures for it.( for the monetised undeveloped names not including those developed)

I have invested and lost money in numerous overseas extensions... I think I even bought some .TV at one stage to protect other domain and businesses I owned . TV was promoted to promote online video etc etc

This is why I try to warn others about the hype of new extensions... Look at who is doing the hype and in most cases it is a registrar. None of these registrars have any loyalty to .com.au and this is why I often speak up against their true intentions and often misleading and false claims.

The facts are most of the 3000 now available domain name extensions have failed or are on their way to certain failure. The tried and true names are what people are gong back to more than ever. .com, .co.uk, .co.nz .com.au etc. In some cases I bought the new or other extensions ( .net.au etc) and dropped them after seeing no benefit at all. So I speak from experience and yes I have put my money where my mouth is.

As I said there are still millions of good .com.au names available and a good aftermarket. I see no reason to add another .au extension. The false and misleading information put forward by some registrars there is massive demand and the .uk and .nz have been "remarkably successful and as such so would the additional .au extension" is not just wrong it has serious implications for Australian business.

I think by now most people know who has been pushing for another .au and those very registrar / registry organisations also push many of those other 3000 failing extensions......Those people have little of no personal investment or business experience in the .com.au space or having to assess and registry / drop global names for trademarks etc.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member