What's new

Direct registrations are happening

Joel

Top Contributor
I'm not in the least bit surprised. Now to wait and see how it will be implemented.

Shane

Top Contributor
I'm on the record as saying I like the idea of shorter domains, but now that it's happening, I'm definitely feeling some concern on how it's going to be rolled out.

I own the net.au version for most of my good domains, so hopefully that offers a little protection.

Erwin

Top Contributor
I'm on the record as saying I like the idea of shorter domains, but now that it's happening, I'm definitely feeling some concern on how it's going to be rolled out.

I own the net.au version for most of my good domains, so hopefully that offers a little protection.
One would think that .com.au and .net.au would have 1st choice.. How's that all going to happen anyway.. Big news!

Erwin

Top Contributor
I'm wondering how direct registrations will work in this respect.. this taken from auDA's email
"be more attractive to natural individuals than the current option,
id.au"

findtim

Top Contributor
no guesses who's drinking champagne and laughing at the best restaurants tonight !
my view is if i own dubbodentist.com.au i get it given to me, this way there is no call for a money grab, NOBODY wants 2 dentists in dubbo having such close domains, 2nd, if not the first then it goes off market for me FOREVER should i decide to instigate it in the future, i would then be happy to pay as i would see value in it, thus its my choice and not forced on me.
.net.au and dropped domains renewed registration dates will be a major issue.
I see drop catching slowing up, borderline "will i wont i domains" will become no bids IMO.
tim

Andrew Wright

Top Contributor
  • In terms of an "analyst call" for the premium domain industry - Buy, Sell or Hold?
  • Will there be any growth in .com.au until this is sorted out?
  • Do auDA and registrars now have a duty to inform new .com.au registrants that a "better" .au domain name may be available in due course?

findtim

Top Contributor
1) sell your "iffies" hold your premium and hope, 2) no, 3)LOL
Do auDA and registrars now have a duty to inform new .com.au registrants that a "better" .au domain name may be available in due course?
..."now have a duty.." , catch22, they should have done that a year ago so now if they go do it all they are doing is informing people AFTER the fact which would piss me off if i was average joe SMB.
registras will put SPIN on it and send to their client base, auda to members, and everyone else will know jack SH1Tuntil SH1T happens.
then in 5 years we will see a stream of cybersquattersstarting business, it will be like the "my wallet has been stolen" que at the Rio games.
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
  • In terms of an "analyst call" for the premium domain industry - Buy, Sell or Hold?
  • Will there be any growth in .com.au until this is sorted out?

On point 1 I'm guessing there has already been a significant value drop because of all the talk about this.

Not sure if it will go further but what I recall hearing about .co.uk is they had several years of the sluggish aftermarket sales. Also, I just have this feeling that AUDA will try and get some kind of auction model to allocate names ($$$), would brace for further issues.

snoopy

Top Contributor
1) sell your "iffies" hold your premium and hope, 2) no, 3)LOL

I think with the lower quality names they would definitely get hit the hardest because it is all about holding costs for lower value names, e.g. the names worth $50-$500 on the drop. The new holding costs are going to be eating right into those value wise assuming a lot of people think think they need to have both as insurance. If I remember rightly a lot of .co.uk domainers did some serious culling in the lead up to .uk.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo