1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

"Cybersquatting"

Discussion in 'Resources & Success Stories' started by neddy, Nov 27, 2012.

1. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

www.speculate.tv

2. DnEbook

you need to invest funds ......to speculate

;)

3. CyberClick

CyberClick Membership: Trader

I could be speculating in my spare time ;)

(bad monty python reference above)

4. DnEbook

funnily enough ........speculate/com/au is on the drops tomorrow

5. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

I think the negative connotation is because it is high risk. I don't think investing necessarily involves speculation, some investments are near risk free.

Speculation requires money but that doesn't make it an investment. To take it further next level down in terms of risk is gambling (when the odds are against you) and some would probably say that requires an "investment" as well. In reality it requires money and it is likely money down the drain like buying a movie ticket or throwing a bag of money off a bridge. Some car dealers even calling buying a car an "investment", doesn't mean much in reality as it is certain to fall in value, more like an expense.

From wikipedia,

I would go with the second paragraph. Is it mainly about income, or mainly about price appreciation? I think that is what determines the difference. A speculation is a guess, investing is putting money into something on the basis of a current return.

6. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    There are professional domainers continually buying up trade marked company names and trying to sell them off amongst us here on DN Trade.

So i'm really not surprised at the comments I get when I mention I own a handful of domains.

It's all just part of the industry and there will always be some trying to profit in underhanded ways.

7. Blue Wren

Blue Wren Membership: VIP

Domain Investors vs. CyberSquatters via Morgan Linton

It’s two terms that should never be used together in the same sentence but all too frequently are “Domain Investors” (or “Domainers”) and “CyberSquatters.” The funny thing is, many cybersquatters have never heard of Domaining and don’t even know there is a domain industry, yet all Domainers know about CyberSquatters. These kind of generalizations are what make the entire industry look bad when so many people are doing amazing and creative things.
    [Read More...]