What's new

Contested Domains Feature at Drop

trellian

Top Contributor
Hi All,

Just a quick update that we have launched a new feature at Drop to help our clients get ready for direct .au registrations. The Contested domains page lists all your domains at Drop, their create date and most importantly all the other extensions that are classified as either Category 1 and Category 2 domains that may be eligible to also claim the direct .au domain.

You can find a link under the Domain top navigation drop down link.

This is an initial beta release, and soon we plan to release an updated version that will drill deeper in the the various extensions if they are classified as either Category 1 or Category 2 and also if any of them can be used to contest your own claim for the direct .au domain extension.

The data is currently updated once a month, so any domains registered in the current month or transferred to Drop in that month will not have any data until the next update which is as the start of each month.

If you are currently not using Drop for the domain registrations, this might be a great incentive to transfer them over and take advantage of this great new feature.

Cheers

jamesau

Can you actually surface the data about whether competing domains are C1?

I've got quite a few names showing no match at registry where I know there is a competing domain from manual search.

Handy feature nonetheless.

trellian

Top Contributor
Hi The next update to this page will show what each domain is, if Category 1 or Category 2.

So will be a lot easier to use once this update is released.

trellian

Top Contributor
Hi All,

Just an update, Category 1 and Category 2 are now nicely split up and in separate columns for easier reference.

Use your own domain create date data point to determine if you are also in category 1 or in Category 2.

Next planned update will show the order of Category 2, only needed if you there are no Category 1 or if the Category 1 owner does not opt for the .au

trellian

Top Contributor
Just a quick update that you can claim your .au names via the Contested feature page in your Drop account.
Note that any new .au domains registration that are not contested are registered instantly, however there is a delay to propagate these domains and can take 1 working day to go live which is something that auDA and Afilias are working to rectify.

New registrations are also open for brand new domains.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Are you charging customers a registration fee to express their interest in contested category 1 domain names?

trellian

Top Contributor
Drop currently does support contested domains. However our recommendation is to hold off on claiming a contested domain token, as this only places you in an adverse position of telling all others that you are interested in the .au and for them to hold you to ransom for their rights. You have 6 months to claim your token rights and doing so early is disadvantageous. The later you claim the better.

Token cost for that is the same as your com.au registration cost.

Last edited:

trellian

Top Contributor
Last few days to go and claim your .au domains if you have a token and Category 1 and 2 rights.

After 20 Sep you will need to wait till 4 October which is the big drop day of over 2,800,000 .au domains that were on priority hold status up to now.

Jump

I am surprised drop.com.au is not providing a "pre order" service for "4 October" for uncontested second level names. What is the issue here? Is this not a substantial business development opportunity - and a valuable service to the community and others?

Nic

trellian

Top Contributor
Hi Nic,

Drop will have a pre order/auction starting 27 Sep that will go for 1 week for the 4 Oct Drop date.

Drop clients will receive an email notification with the details any day now.

Lucas

Top Contributor
Hi Nic,

Drop will have a pre order/auction starting 27 Sep that will go for 1 week for the 4 Oct Drop date.

Will it be a public auction or private bidding??

If public the community can kiss goodbye finding those gems on their own.

trellian

Top Contributor
Well there are about 3 million .au names about to be released, there is no list of these names being provided to the public. So everyone needs to build up their lists of names that they would like.

If you have a Drop account and you have Keyword alerts set up, Drop plans to provide partial lists of domains based on your keyword alerts, plus some of the top names based on value that we have identified. This is likely to be the top 100k or 200k names max so that means that there will be lots of names not provided.

Secondly the 1st bid is private and you will only see other bids if there ar multiple bidders on the same domain. The exact terms are still being finalised.

Jump

Hi Nic,

Kind of you to reply/clarify; many thanks and regards.

Oz.

Top Contributor
Drop Auctions are live.
I can’t get it to work. I’m sure I’m missing something lol

I added a .au direct registration domain to Watch List and get the message “No data available in table”.

ahh. Need to add via bulk bid.

btw I haven’t used this updated auction platform before, do you see if others have bid/outbid a domain ?

trellian

Top Contributor
If you had a winning bid on a domain, yes you can see if you are over bid and what the current bid amount is.

If you however place a bid now that already has a higher bid on it, you will not see these domains on the main section.
You need to go to the All Bids page to see the ones that did not have a sufficient bid, there is an option to copy them and then go back to the Bulk Bid page to increase your bids

Also see:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member