What's new

Call for nominations for election to auDA Board

chris

Top Contributor
Call for nominations for election to auDA Board
20/Aug/2013

The election will take place at auDA's Annual General Meeting, to be held on Tuesday 15 October 2013 in Melbourne.

The AGM will elect four Directors to the Board, to replace the Directors who must retire from the Board in accordance with auDA's Constitution (see below). The Directors elected will serve for a term of two years.

Please refer to the auDA website for more information:

http://www.auda.org.au/news-archive/auda-200813/

Cheers,
Chris

neddy

Top Contributor
There are seven candidates standing for the two Demand Class positions. A big field indeed.

Candidate statements are online: http://www.auda.org.au/pdf/2013_AGM_Director_Nomination_Candidate_Statements.pdf

There is one guy that we definitely don't want to vote for! His name is Steven Roddis.

This is his statement (it should be in Friday funnies):

Bolding is mine!
Steven Roddis (Demand)

Hi I am Steven Roddis a security researcher with a passion for privacy. I believe in free speech, fight for privacy and think censorship is stupid.

I hate domainers, they are pure evil.

Remember that awesome domain name you thought of only to find it unused and for sale? That was a domainer.

I am for: little visible whois info (think address, phone), private whois (I hate spammers too!), domain approval (stop domainers)

I am against: dotless domains (security risk), gTLDs (cash grab& security risk), domain tasting

Help me kick domainers in the [gender non-specific] balls by voting for me!

James

Top Contributor
Its like saying I am going to sign up to council and try to kick out people who purchased water front property 50 years ago...

If he missed the boat and tries to come in having a cry...

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Its like saying I am going to sign up to council and try to kick out people who purchased water front property 50 years ago...
Yeah but you can't get complacent about these sorts of nominees - they have one thing on their side - the majority of people don't have water front property so their rhetoric makes "popular, vote winning policy"...

Let's hope cool heads prevail.

StuartB

Surely this is a joke?

We have just been through a Federal Election, where some very strange candidates have been elected, because we were all asleep on where our preferences were going.

I have nominated Grant Wiltshire to run and will be interested to see who the other nominees are.

I would encourage all members of DNtrade, who are member of auDA (should be more of us) to check out Grants Bio when filling out your vote.

We need serious people on the board of auDA - otherwise we will go back to the bad old days......or have we already forgotten some of the crazy stuff that happened in the domain game in the past.

neddy

Top Contributor
I would encourage all members of DNtrade, who are member of auDA (should be more of us) to check out Grants Bio when filling out your vote.

We need serious people on the board of auDA - otherwise we will go back to the bad old days......or have we already forgotten some of the crazy stuff that happened in the domain game in the past.

Agreed in all regards.

The two favourites have to be the incumbents though.

Paul Levins is a good guy and a smart operator imho (having met and spoken with him a few times). I hope he gets re-elected.

Josh Rowe is a person that doesn't deserve to be re-elected imo. He has been a director for over 10 years, and has done bugger all for domainers. He came on to this forum 2 years ago at my invitation, and he promised that he would stay in touch with us regardless of the result of the election. Actions speak louder than words. Fail Josh, fail. :mad:

We need rejuvenation imho.

James

Top Contributor
Doesn't Josh Rowe work at Aus Post or something in a digital role, I believe I see him active on Twitter and Google+.

Also what do you get for been elected? what are the perks of this role? Why dont you run for it Ned you seem vocal around the actions of these guys...

neddy

Top Contributor
Doesn't Josh Rowe work at Aus Post or something in a digital role, I believe I see him active on Twitter and Google+.

Also what do you get for been elected? what are the perks of this role? Why dont you run for it Ned you seem vocal around the actions of these guys...

• Josh used to work at Australia Post a couple of years back. He also uses social media exceptionally well, so he will be trying very hard to get re-elected. But as I said before, the Board needs rejuvenation imho.

• Re perks - not much. Probably at least one trip overseas (during your two year term) to a domain conference. Other than that you get this:
The auDA Board meets six times a year, usually in Melbourne. Elected Directors receive a fee of $750.00 per meeting attended (in person or by teleconference), in addition to reimbursement of travel expenses.

I was going to stand for election previously, but health and personal circumstances got in the way.

In hindsight, I am happy I never ran - the main reason being is that I can be publically vocal about issues that affect me and other domainers / domain investors. As a Director, you are limited somewhat - and the old conflict of interest issue always arises!

But I do love getting involved in auDA Panels and Working Groups - it is a great way to help try and shape our industry. As Erhan and I have said previously, people should put their hands up for these. They are really important.

• But I do love getting involved in auDA Panels and Working Groups - it is a great way to help try and shape our industry. As Erhan and I have said previously, people should put their hands up for these. They are really important.

• Firstly anyone who thinks that being a board member makes you money will be sadly disappointed. It actually costs you money, particularly if you run your own business. I do it because I am passionate about domain names and internet governance and have been involved in this industry for over a decade.

Yes you are right Ned, it always surprised me that very few people from the forum get involved in panels.

Now that I am on the auDA Board I can see that the Panel process is very powerful when it comes to policy change. We have the big one coming up next year being the Names Policy Panel, this is very important to not only DNTrade members but everyone who purchases domain names.

I encourage all members to join auDA and get involved. If you don't have the time to go on a panel, at least respond to the public submissions and get your view heard. Also members get to attend events like the auIGF for free - last year we had a free Tim Berners-Lee (founder of the World Wide Web) event for auDA members. The Panel process is good because they actually view and discuss all the submissions even the controversial ones!

In the meantime, as I have previously said my door is open to anyone who wants to discuss any domain name issues. I pride myself on being one of the most accessible auDA Directors.

Cheers
    Erhan

findtim

Top Contributor
lets just look at these words.
Steven Roddis (Demand)

........ censorship is stupid.

I hate domainers, they are pure evil.

censorship is stupid: "Censorship is the suppression .........of a controlling body."

ummmm, isn't that a contradiction?
Remember that awesome domain name you thought of only to find it unused and for sale? That was a domainer.

how about we word it like: that awesome domain you should have registered 10 years ago !!!!! and it may not have been a domainer, it could well be your competitor :p

I am for: little visible whois info (think address, phone), private whois (I hate spammers too!), domain approval (stop domainers)

ummm, if you do that you won't know its a domainer who owns the domain, DAAA

I am against: dotless domains (security risk), gTLDs (cash grab& security risk), domain tasting

how about we just switch the internet off ? or how about we have a anti-globalisation protest and use social media to promote it that then links to a website :eek:

Help me kick domainers in the [gender non-specific] balls by voting for me!

ummm, its probably only domainers reading this.

tim

Simon Johnson

Top Contributor
As you all know by now, I've decided to run for the board.

My nomination was proposed by two well known members, Ed Keay-Smith and seconded by the owner of DNTrade, Chris Burgess.

I'd like to see some fresh, new ideas brought to the table at auDA and believe that I can work constructively with the auDA Board on a broad number of issues, especially those that impact domain name investors.

I appreciate your continued support. As always if you have any questions feel free to PM me or contact me here.

joshrowe

Top Contributor
Thanks for the feedback Ned.

Albeit I'm surprised you didn't raise your concerns with me directly when we had an email conversation last week, or in person at auDA meetings where we have met face-to-face or the many other conversations we've had along the way.

I'm passionate about improving the .au domain name space for all stakeholders.

Happy to debate and discuss things that the industry sees as important.

Email me: josh@email.nu
Tweet me: @joshrowe

findtim

Top Contributor
as someone who has been in the industry since 2000 but only a member of auda for a few months !!! sorry :) i am surprised that i have had no contact regarding the election FROM auda, i know about it only because of other conversations.

i certainly got the email telling me they had taken my membership fee so i'd think that with under 1 month to go i would have been sent some notification of an election.

NOTE: i have checked and i am eligible to vote.

even ruddy didn't leave it this late !

i am also astounded that the controllers of australias domains require ME to have a FAX to vote, whats a FAX ? do they mean i have to go out to the garage and get that "brick" of a thing out of the box, unplug my phone line and plug it in, then hope it still works ? or maybe i should go to the post office ???? they still have them don't they? or maybe wander thru the local mall hoping to find a newsagent???? they still have newsagents don't they?

what about the increasing number of people who no longer have a home phone, i was at a conference a few weeks ago and this question was asked to a group of people below the age of 35, 95% did not have a landline.

seems to me there is a need for change, read into that comment what you want.

tim

neddy

Top Contributor
Thanks for the feedback Ned.

Albeit I'm surprised you didn't raise your concerns with me directly when we had an email conversation last week, or in person at auDA meetings where we have met face-to-face or the many other conversations we've had along the way.

I'm passionate about improving the .au domain name space for all stakeholders.

Happy to debate and discuss things that the industry sees as important.

Email me: josh@email.nu
Tweet me: @joshrowe

It's election time - here's Josh posting again. ;)

You seem a nice guy Josh, but please don't twist things.

For the record, I met you once at last years auDA AGM. And the email conversation you refer to was nearly a month ago on August 22 where I messaged you on LinkedIn to ask if you were standing for re-election. You replied the next day saying you hadn't made up your mind.

I was heavily criticized a couple of years ago for inviting you on here to outline why people should vote for you. People said to me at the time that you would disappear after the elections and wouldn't give a toss about domain owners. I stood my ground and encouraged you to put your point of view.

Just looking back at an old post and this is what you said after you won (bolding of last paragraph is mine):

I think it is fantastic to see so many auDA members participating in the election process. I hope that enthusiasm continues throughout the year in policy review panels and other auDA related activities.

Personally, I will remain active in the DNT forums and look forward to continuing the discussion/debate about improving .au policy for the benefit of all stakeholders.

People will make up their own minds this year. I know I have. I think the auDA Board should be rejuvenated.

joshrowe

Top Contributor
So, apart from getting rid of me is there anything else that needs improving in .au (open question to all not just Ned)?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member