What's new

Call for nominations for election to auDA Board

neddy

Top Contributor
i am also astounded that the controllers of australias domains require ME to have a FAX to vote, whats a FAX ? do they mean i have to go out to the garage and get that "brick" of a thing out of the box, unplug my phone line and plug it in, then hope it still works ? or maybe i should go to the post office ???? they still have them don't they? or maybe wander thru the local mall hoping to find a newsagent???? they still have newsagents don't they?

what about the increasing number of people who no longer have a home phone, i was at a conference a few weeks ago and this question was asked to a group of people below the age of 35, 95% did not have a landline.

Tim, I actually covered this issue by writing to the auDA Board back in June 2012.

You can see my letter - and the Board response - here: https://www.dntrade.com.au/auda-policy-news/5343-letter-auda-board.html

Ashman

Top Contributor
I refuse to join auDA demand class on the basis of their manual application system and as Neddy would say that's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

However, I think we need a fresh Board of Directors. If the current Board could not improve the application for membership process in the time that they were appointed I can't see them doing anything useful in the future.

GET RID OF ALL CURRENT BOARD MEMBERS !!!

Chris.C

Top Contributor
1. New membership applications
The Board notes your comments regarding auDA’s membership application process.

auDA used an online membership application form until 2010. At the 2010 AGM auDA members Erhan Karabardak and Simon Johnson raised concerns about the integrity of the membership application process, alleging that non-existent people had been signed up as members. To address these concerns, auDA decided to replace the online form with a downloadable form which requires a hand-written signature. Whilst the Board acknowledges that an online form is more convenient (both for membership applicants and for auDA staff), it believes that the integrity of the process is paramount.
In relation to online payment, auDA currently accepts payment by EFT. auDA has investigated other methods of online payment but, at this time, the relatively low transaction volume and amount does not justify the costs involved. auDA will continue to monitor the situation and will move to implement an online payment system if and when justified on a cost-benefit analysis.
I don't see how a FAX system prevents "non-existent" people signing documents and then simply faxing them through...

Surely as the body that governs Australian domains could set the very simple criteria to be demand class member that you must own at at least 1 AU domain name.

This way for "non-existent" people to sign up they would also need to setup an ABN/ACN for each "non-existent" person they wanted to own a domain which I suspect would be enough disincentive to put a stop to the issue...

AND we all get to have online registration again.

Ashman

Top Contributor
If I can roll-up to a Federal Election booth without ID and no need to sign any documents and can fill in my preferences in PENCIL then I can't see the need for added "security measures" for auDA elections.

This manual system prohibits entry to newcomers so therefore you get the same members voting for the same people over and over again with the same results.

Did Erhan Karabardak and Simon Johnson provide any evidence to support their allegations and if so did the auDA identify any wrong doings?

StuartB

Tim, I actually covered this issue by writing to the auDA Board back in June 2012.

You can see my letter - and the Board response - here: https://www.dntrade.com.au/auda-policy-news/5343-letter-auda-board.html

Ned,

Your letter talked about the Manual process for becoming a member - not for the voting process.

I can get the concerns that people would have about making sure members are "real". Simon and Erhan have raised this in the past according to the auDA letter.

But in reality - if someone wanted to create a bogus account, having to do a fake signature isn't going to stop the!!

But anyway.... this has nothing to do with the voting system for AGMs and EGMs. Once you are a member, there is no reason why there couldn't be online voting. If we can do it for ASX listed corporates, auDA should be able to also.

I will be raising this with auDA and will report back.

neddy

Top Contributor
Your letter talked about the Manual process for becoming a member - not for the voting process.

True. I'm old and senile. But in my defence it is the same principle involved. Also interesting to remind myself (and others) of the other issues I raised.

I will be raising this with auDA and will report back.

Terrific - you've got to do something to earn your keep (and pay for all those overseas trips you get). ;)

neddy

Top Contributor
Sorry, I was in the process of adding to my post, but got distracted and then was timed out.

This is what else I was going to say:

The irony is that whilst you can't register to become a member online; or vote online; (or scan and email either of those particular forms) - anyone can to the auDA site and make an online complaint about someone's right to hold a domain name.

Someone with a grudge; a false name and a gmail account could make life very difficult for legitimate domain owners.

Let's get with the times.

neddy

Top Contributor
I refuse to join auDA demand class on the basis of their manual application system and as Neddy would say that's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

However, I think we need a fresh Board of Directors. If the current Board could not improve the application for membership process in the time that they were appointed I can't see them doing anything useful in the future.

GET RID OF ALL CURRENT BOARD MEMBERS !!!

Change comes from within. Regardless of your principles, join up and make a difference next time around.

So long as I do not firmly and irrevocably possess the right to vote I do not possess myself. I cannot make up my mind — it is made up for me. I cannot live as a democratic citizen, observing the laws I have helped to enact — I can only submit to the edict of others.

Martin Luther King, Jr

There are some excellent directors on the auDA Board imho. And I have met all of them. Last year our votes also helped get a couple of fine new candidates elected.

But there are also some directors that have been there for donkey's years. They should do themselves and everyone else a favour and just retire and allow fresh blood in.

Imho.

The way to enact change is to become involved through participation in panels, and by responding to calls for public submissions.

I have been involved in panels since 2004 and can vouch for the fact that we have come miles from the 2004, to the point where many people on this forum now rely on domain names to earn a living.

You need to remember that people who oppose domaining get involved in the process and get their chance to make their views known, that is all the more reason that people from this forum should get involved and put a contrary view on the table. This healthy debate brings compromise and incremental change.

findtim

Top Contributor
You need to remember that people who oppose domaining get involved in the process and get their chance to make their views known, that is all the more reason that people from this forum should get involved and put a contrary view on the table. This healthy debate brings compromise and incremental change.

thats well stated, i didn't realise for a long time my "non participation" with auda membership and the potential effect on my income by having other people making decisions which will directly change my business !

not only that but how it will effect my clients online businesses.

at this moment i STILL have not received any notification of the election, even though this thread has been running for a while now, EVEN though some of the current board members have posted !!!!!

MAN, i honestly expected to receive an email by today, as i said i KNOW i am on the list of members.

unfortunately i know NOTHING about the current board members, hmmmm says a lot doesn't it.

i'm just new to being a member so i am holding myself back as anyone with knowledge could easily trash me ..... and thats cool, i'm just telling "what it is for me"

i wonder if i will actually get notification that there is an election BEFORE the election?

tim, maybe i'll eat crow?

neddy

Top Contributor
i wonder if i will actually get notification that there is an election BEFORE the election?

tim, maybe i'll eat crow?

I didn't know you were from South Australia? :)

Members got the following email last Friday (13 September). Maybe yours went to junk? Or didn't arrive at all?

Notice of 2013 AGM

13 September 2013

The Board of Directors of .au Domain Administration Limited (auDA) is pleased to invite you to attend its 2013 Annual General Meeting.

Date: Tuesday 15 October 2013
Time: 4.00pm
Venue: Park Hyatt, 1 Parliament Place, Melbourne

Purpose
The purpose of this meeting is to:
• report the activities of auDA
• elect Directors to the Board of auDA to replace those retiring by rotation.

Members who are unable to attend the AGM may lodge a proxy form with auDA. The deadline for proxy forms is 5pm AEDST on Friday 11 October 2013.

Click here for the full Notice of AGM and proxy form.

Following the close of the AGM, auDA invites members to a networking function being held in conjunction with the Australian Internet Governance Forum (auIGF). auDA members are entitled to free registration for the auIGF, to be held at the Park Hyatt Melbourne on 16 and 17 October. Click here for more information.

NB: Candidates for election to the auDA Board have been provided with a copy of the members register for their class of membership, for the purpose of contacting members in relation to the election.

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks ned, funny enough i keep my junk mail for a good while as i know this can happen and i want to check it all.

NO email in junk.

i also have EVERY email sent to me for the past 2 years filed ( on this computer ) [ back to 2004 on the backup ]

NO email

tim :)

neddy

Top Contributor
thanks ned, funny enough i keep my junk mail for a good while as i know this can happen and i want to check it all.

NO email in junk.

On second thoughts, they were probably warned about you - and purposely didn't send you an invite.

Just kidding of course. ;)

unfortunately i know NOTHING about the current board members, hmmmm says a lot doesn't it.

Thanks Tim, well you know a lot about me! I know most people on the forum personally including yourself, I try to meet members when I can. I have always had an open door policy when it comes to domain name issues and auDA matters. If you ever have any questions about auDA or general domain name issues give me a buzz :)

I am organising a function at the moment and will release some details shortly.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member