What's new

Best way to sell a 2-letter .com.au

Dean K

Hello all,

We have a 2-letter name we wish to sell -- dc.com.au -- but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

I've had the name from the times in the mid-1990s when .com.au registrations were free -- good ol' Robert Elz at Melbourne Uni doing the work voluntarily before Melbourne IT came on the scene. In the past this domain name was really just used for a few sub-domain websites and as an email server (great of course for a short email address) -- with plans to develop the "visible" website that never came through, especially after a change in personal circumstances/family health scare.

Over the years we have always had a few anonymous approaches each year to ask if it is for sale -- and until now have always said no. I recently changed the home page to say it's for sale and have had some contact, though as yet I really don't have a good valuation in mind.

The name doesn't come with any developed presence or traffic, although being two good characters I think can represent hundreds of potential brands -- including a list I have of public/household/listed companies who may be interested in having the name.

So I'm hoping for feedback from members of the DN community here on what's best to do -- get an appraisal first?

I'm not sure whether it's worth selling via a public auction process, or via the marketplace here -- any feedback would be appreciated!

With thanks for your thoughts,

Dean

snoopy

Top Contributor
The letter combination is very strong, would guess very roughly 10k for a sale to a domainer but I don't follow this market much.

Obviously you'd get more (or alternatively no sale at all) if you wait it out long term for an enduser buyer.

You could also consider getting a broker to contact obvious buyers, that *might* result in sale better than the domainer price. The name would be strong enough to make it worthwhile for a broker to at least try.

Fitness

Yes I have a 2 letter domain name as well.
I think selling to a domainer, would not yield the best price.
Am curious to find out how you go with finding a domain broker/end user sale.

Lemon

Top Contributor
Hello all,

We have a 2-letter name we wish to sell -- dc.com.au -- but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

I've had the name from the times in the mid-1990s when .com.au registrations were free -- good ol' Robert Elz at Melbourne Uni doing the work voluntarily before Melbourne IT came on the scene. In the past this domain name was really just used for a few sub-domain websites and as an email server (great of course for a short email address) -- with plans to develop the "visible" website that never came through, especially after a change in personal circumstances/family health scare.

Over the years we have always had a few anonymous approaches each year to ask if it is for sale -- and until now have always said no. I recently changed the home page to say it's for sale and have had some contact, though as yet I really don't have a good valuation in mind.

The name doesn't come with any developed presence or traffic, although being two good characters I think can represent hundreds of potential brands -- including a list I have of public/household/listed companies who may be interested in having the name.

So I'm hoping for feedback from members of the DN community here on what's best to do -- get an appraisal first?

I'm not sure whether it's worth selling via a public auction process, or via the marketplace here -- any feedback would be appreciated!

Dean
I'd suggest you contact Robert from DBR he has brokered some great deals in .com.au and also a dntrade member.
http://dbr.com.au

Dean K

Thanks for the replies. Findtim -- I don't have a specific reserve at the moment, as I would like to chat to an expert before we finalise that -- hence thanks Lemon for the mention of Robert and DBR.

Yes Snoopy -- we do have a list we've already started with more than a couple of dozen prospects so that option could prove fruitful.

Horshack, the name to me is more of an abbreviation, and over 20 years I've not had any specific trademark issues pop up. That's probably why -- at the time -- Deloitte Consulting took dc.com (in hindsight at the time would have been a worthwhile buyer of the .au version -- but in those days, domain "sales" were not permitted for one thing. There are dozens, or more, possible endusers of the combination -- none with a specific claim.

Agreed Fitness -- but at the same time I'm happy to consider a sale to someone who can then make their money with the name too as Snoopy described. I'm not holding out for a high "retail" kind of price; not that I'm giving it away for little value, but perhaps a domainer with more interest in the industry can be a good solution.

Appreciate the replies -- thanks everyone.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Hello all,

Dean

Maybe Monetise it with www.bodis.com and use the "contact form for sale page" feature. This will make you some monetisation income, ensure you meet policy and people can contact you easily with you seeing a little more about who they are with their IP address etc.

I see no trademark issues at all with this domain name. DC can stand for a ton of things and no one would have a valid trademark claim against it you should worry about. After 20+ years being registered you probably even predate au policy anyway!

Good point about .com.au being FREE years ago before Melbourne IT, Ausregistry and auDA got involved and started their profiteering!

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I wonder if you make your own landing page and put an "affiliate" google adsense search box on the lander is that considered reasonable usage and monetisation? Just thinking it may keep you away from Tm Issues

snoopy

Top Contributor
I wonder if you make your own landing page and put an "affiliate" google adsense search box on the lander is that considered reasonable usage and monetisation? Just thinking it may keep you away from Tm Issues

So just a search box? I thought the advertising needed be targeted to comply?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
So just a search box? I thought the advertising needed be targeted to comply?
That's what I am trying to determine, example being if you go to bikinis.com.au (example only) Wouldn't it be expected that if you use a search box on that page you are likely to be searching for bikinis and bikini related items. Or possibly a notification such as "To search for Bikinis and Bikini Wear please use the supplied search box" ...... just throwing it out there

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads